News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Guy in San Antonio

Started by Project68, October 10, 2014, 04:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Project68

Quote from: TXcharger70 on October 13, 2014, 10:22:32 PM
Welcome to the site. You will find everything you need on this site. What part of San Antonio do you live? I as well live in SA 281 and tpc area.

I live off of TPC and Evans...Fox Grove Community.

Ghoste

Welcome to the site, that is a great story on getting the car.  :cheers:

Back N Black

Welcome, charger looks to be in decent shape. Keep us updated on the build.  :2thumbs:

abe1968

Hi My name is Abe, and I Also live here in S.A. Awesome to see another 2nd Gen here in town. This Sat is the annual Mopar Show at Ancira off I-10. 

Project68

Quote from: abe1968 on October 14, 2014, 07:58:09 AM
Hi My name is Abe, and I Also live here in S.A. Awesome to see another 2nd Gen here in town. This Sat is the annual Mopar Show at Ancira off I-10. 

Nice. ...I will try to make it.  Thanks!

hemi68charger

Congrad's........ Welcome the '68 to Texas........  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

tan top

hello & welcome ABE  :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

abe1968

Quote from: tan top on October 14, 2014, 05:45:53 PM

hello & welcome ABE  :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:

Thanks Tan Top!!!

TXcharger70

Quote from: Project68 on October 13, 2014, 11:07:31 PM
Welcome to the site. You will find everything you need on this site. What part of San Antonio do you live? I as well live in SA 281 and tpc area.

Crazy we are neighbors I live in bulverde village off bulverde rd.

Like Abe1968 said yes there is the Ancira mopar show this Saturday.  Unfortunately I have to work this weekend and won't be able to attend. I recommend going to get ideas flowing for your new project. Where do you have it stored? Are you going to be working on it from your house?

Project68

Quote from: TXcharger70 on October 14, 2014, 09:48:06 PM
Quote from: Project68 on October 13, 2014, 11:07:31 PM

Crazy we are neighbors I live in bulverde village off bulverde rd.

Like Abe1968 said yes there is the Ancira mopar show this Saturday.  Unfortunately I have to work this weekend and won't be able to attend. I recommend going to get ideas flowing for your new project. Where do you have it stored? Are you going to be working on it from your house?

I am planning on going.  I won't be working on it at my house...no room in the 2 car garage.   I have some property I bought in Bulverde with plenty of workshop space.

Project68

Quote from: 8WHEELER on October 13, 2014, 02:20:53 AM
This is where the numbers are pressed into the bell housing area on the back of the block and trany.
Not all 383's I have seen have these numbers.

Dan

Thanks guys for all the help locating the area...so after a little wire brushing I came up with the attached pictures.  The stamping on the engine block is not as clear compared to the softer metal on the transmission.  It is hard to make out the B on the engine, but I think it is safe to say that the numbers match my VIN.  I still need to clean the barn dust off engine.  Anyone know of a reputable engine/transmission re-builder in the San Antonio area?

TXcharger70

Quote from: Project68 on October 15, 2014, 01:30:02 PM
This is where the numbers are pressed into the bell housing area on the back of the block and trany.

Dan

Thanks guys for all the help locating the area...so after a little wire brushing I came up with the attached pictures.  The stamping on the engine block is not as clear compared to the softer metal on the transmission.  It is hard to make out the B on the engine, but I think it is safe to say that the numbers match my VIN.  I still need to clean the barn dust off engine.  Anyone know of a reputable engine/transmission re-builder in the San Antonio area?

You will find a lot of info at the Ancira Mopar show this weekend but, I had my some of my engine work done at kendricks performance not all cause me and a buddy put it together 210-337-0838. As far as the trany maybe someone else can make a recommendation. Here is also a link to Mopar Muscle Club of San Antonio as well for some added info http://www.moparmuscleclub-sa.org/index.htm

Project68

Quote from: TXcharger70 on October 15, 2014, 05:47:26 PM
Quote from: Project68 on October 15, 2014, 01:30:02 PM

Dan

You will find a lot of info at the Ancira Mopar show this weekend but, I had my some of my engine work done at kendricks performance not all cause me and a buddy put it together 210-337-0838. As far as the trany maybe someone else can make a recommendation. Here is also a link to Mopar Muscle Club of San Antonio as well for some added info http://www.moparmuscleclub-sa.org/index.htm

Thanks for the info!

Project68

So....I was looking the car over trying to get an idea of how much body work I am going to have to do.  Obviously, the fender needs replacing along with the lower valance.  The right rear quarter panel need some work or replacement, I'm not sure.  The area around the back window has me concerned as there are multiple pin-holes. Any ideas on how to tackle the rear window would be appreciated.  I am sure Chargers with worse rust have been salvaged.

Thanks!

TUFCAT

AMD has the panel you need to make a nice patch.    

http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-68-70-charger-deck-filler-panel-p-1041.html

....or get an experienced metal fabricator to hand form a section and weld it in.

They've got your front fender too. :icon_smile_wink:

http://www.autometaldirect.com/amd-69-charger-fender---rh-p-305.html

TXcharger70

You may want to remove the moldings as well as the window to get a better idea. For sure like TUFCAT said that with AMD you will be able to find what you need. On mine I had to replace the deck lid as well as the sail panels on each side of the window. Besides the rust my window channels were shot where the glass sat so it was a must.

Laxy

Great score, love it when another Charger comes out of hibernation. Will be following this thread with interest.  :popcrn:
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

Project68

Quote from: 8WHEELER on October 12, 2014, 11:49:34 PM
Interesting, no oil pressure sending unit hole  :shruggy:  I sure don't see anything.

Congrats, what a perfect way to get a complete charger. I would bet by the
date on the block it is the original 383.

Your car is the first year and month for mandatory shoulder belts as well.

Get a picture of the ID engine pad, it is just in front of the passenger side head on the block. Its
a machined surface, and should say D 383 and a few other numbers.

Dan

Dan, 
   Attached is  picture of the ID engine pad.  What does it mean?

Thanks!

John

TUFCAT

D is the Alphanumeric character for 1968. 383 is obvious. 12 is December and 28 is the day.

8WHEELER

Quote from: TUFCAT on October 19, 2014, 07:30:03 PM
D is the Alphanumeric character for 1968. 383 is obvious. 12 is December and 28 is the day.

:2thumbs:  yep, 68 383 block, so this would match up with your late January production date fine.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Project68

Thanks!

Project68

Quote from: 8WHEELER on October 20, 2014, 01:46:00 AM

:2thumbs:  yep, 68 383 block, so this would match up with your late January production date fine.

Dan

Thanks Dan

Project68

So....I definitely have some work to do in the interior.  It will look much better when I wipe it all down and get the dust and spiderwebs removed, but the seats definitely need to be upholstered and new headliner.  The center console is cracked at the end, I bet that's pricey to replace.  Found the steering wheel in the trunk.  It has some kind of fake wood grain on it.

John

8WHEELER

Interesting how the top back of the console looks blue   :shruggy:  must be the picture. A new console is about $250.00 just for the new
plastic shell.

The factory came with simulated wood grain three spoke wheel.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

Project68

Quote from: 8WHEELER on October 20, 2014, 04:41:58 PM
Interesting how the top back of the console looks blue   :shruggy:  must be the picture. A new console is about $250.00 just for the new
plastic shell.

The factory came with simulated wood grain three spoke wheel.

Dan

Dan,
  It does have a bluish tint to it at the top rear.  Oxidation or wear I suppose.  Where can I get a new plastic shell from?

Thanks