News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Stumped with 68 Charger Door Handles

Started by workworkwork, October 11, 2014, 05:23:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

workworkwork

I thought I would tackle an easy Saturday item that should have been straight forward. But, now I am stumped and can't figure out what do to. I have a 68 charger that has the original but pitted and worn door handles with the original black buttons. I purchased a set of replacement door handles from Dales Cuda Shop with the correct black buttons. The first thing I noticed is the direction the small pivot point that you connect the linkage to points in the opposite direction. But that should not be a problem as they essentially line up in the same place. I took the old handle off, which works fine and put the new handle on and found I could not push the button in and make the mechanism open the door. It basically will not move the mechanism. If I disconnect the linkage is work is with out the handle it works just fine. It moves up and down without issue and opens the latch without issue. But, when it is connected to the door handle it won't budge when I try to push the button. It has me completely baffled. By itself the button pushes and moves the door handle mechanism. Has anyone run into this issue? If so what do you do? This is driving me nuts. Any ideas?

Charger-Bodie

Put your old handles mechanism onto the new handle?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

mightywing7

Hmm.....is this issue happening on both of the new handles?  (ie. driver's side versus passenger side?)
1968 Dodge Charger R/T - 440 Magnum, 727
1968 Dodge Charger - 318, 904
1985 Chrysler LeBaron Turbo Convertible, Mark Cross - 2.2L Turbo
1987 Buick Grand National - 3.8L SFI Turbo
2006 Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6 Coupe, Supercharged 3.2L
2006 Chrysler 300C SRT-8, 6.1L HEMI

workworkwork

I started with the passenger side and stopped there after spending a few hours playing with it and trying to figure it out. So, I have not tried the driver's side. But, I do have one for the driver's side along with a new mirror.

workworkwork

Finally figured it out. I read the other thread about the door handle and tried the adjustment screw that uses an allen wrench down near the latch. That was the secret. I would have never figured this out by myself. But, that let me finally get the button moving with the linkage attached.