News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Factory underseal C500

Started by 500Jon, October 15, 2014, 04:14:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi Aero Folks,

After watching the C500 thread for many years it got me to wondering about originality issues?
My 500 has never been apart and has many original factory personalities.
If I eventually go down the full resto route like C500, a lot of intricate details will be lost.
Bad paintwork (mega-runs), bad door gaps, rubbish sealant application, mystery dents on the production line etc.,etc.,etc.

Then there is the 'lack of paint' a personal bug-bear from my Auto-body days at Peugeot! :slap:

So what to do???
Leave well alone is my current thinking, just drive and enjoy.
As long as she stays outta the rain, we is cool methinks?

F8 green is too green for me, gonna go a few shades darker with Chrysler 'Moss Green'.

Or maybe once Don Garlits replies about this 500, I'll put her back to Black and red as she was?

500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

hemi68charger

Jon,
My thought is if you change the color, you've taken away a big part of the originality you're striving to maintain.. So, you may wanna rethink that goal.

- As far as runs go, I would do diligent work to hand "clean" those areas to maintain the runs. You don't have to strip the complete panel down. You can still prep the car properly while maintaining those little details. It is similar to what I did on my torsion bars on my former '68 Hemi Charger R/T. You can plainly see drip marks on the torsion bars from the coating/painting process. All I did was sanding the bar paying particular attention to the drip marks and not knocking them down. When I reapplied the black paint, the drip marks were still there. The same can happen for the factory sealer. Problem there is typically they are a source of rust ( it develops under the sealant and the only way to clean it up is to remove the clobs of sealant ). So, with this, you might have to take close-up pictures and duplicate as close as possible.

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

moparnation74

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 15, 2014, 07:44:04 AM
Jon,
My thought is if you change the color, you've taken away a big part of the originality you're striving to maintain.. So, you may wanna rethink that goal.

- As far as runs go, I would do diligent work to hand "clean" those areas to maintain the runs. You don't have to strip the complete panel down. You can still prep the car properly while maintaining those little details. It is similar to what I did on my torsion bars on my former '68 Hemi Charger R/T. You can plainly see drip marks on the torsion bars from the coating/painting process. All I did was sanding the bar paying particular attention to the drip marks and not knocking them down. When I reapplied the black paint, the drip marks were still there. The same can happen for the factory sealer. Problem there is typically they are a source of rust ( it develops under the sealant and the only way to clean it up is to remove the clobs of sealant ). So, with this, you might have to take close-up pictures and duplicate as close as possible.

Troy
From another purist, Troy stated it perfectly.

500Jon

Thanx Troy!
F8 green is indeed funky green color!
No one seems to like it so I'm not too fussed about it.
Chrysler 'Moss green' is coolio and not that different?
It was either that or B5 Blue which is a big change all together.
My friends 500 is F5 green and that's now F8 green, how strange?
As long as its painted (metallic green) and running she will be FINE!!! :2thumbs:
500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!