News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Hits the Paint Booth

Started by 71charger_fan, October 25, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CFMopar

Work is coming along nicely.  :cheers:
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

71charger_fan

Final fitting and welding finishing up on driver side.

71charger_fan

He found more rust in the trunk gutter that the previous shop had hidden using seam sealer and painting over it.

71charger_fan

Trunk gutter rust fixed.

71charger_fan

Just about done with the driver quarter panel. Up in the air as to whether to replace the entire passenger side or just the bottom. Probably the whole thing.

71charger_fan

I had contacts in the door jamb for power windows. A previous shop left me with several dead shorts and I got disgusted with it and pulled the power windows and reinstalled the manual. So, I had him weld up the holes in the jambs.

71charger_fan

Previous body shop REALLY loved filler.

CFMopar

:popcrn: The progress is great. At least this shop knows what they're doing.

I was wondering if you considered doing paint removal yourself to save some money?

DownZero

I noticed the Maryland tag. Whereabouts in MD?

71charger_fan

Just outside the western city limit of Frederick on the north side of US 40.

71charger_fan

Quote from: CFMopar on December 21, 2020, 08:02:30 PM
:popcrn: The progress is great. At least this shop knows what they're doing.

I was wondering if you considered doing paint removal yourself to save some money?

I didn't know it was going to require stripping until it was already at his shop. Otherwise, I probably would have done a lot of the paint removal myself. Would have saved a lot of money though.

ACUDANUT

Sounds like you found a great shop. !!

71charger_fan

Moving on to the passenger side. A POR-15 and fiberglass patch I put on back in the '80s finally cut out and fixed properly.

71charger_fan

Under the quarter, the rocker was pretty rusty. He found that another shop had just welded a plate over the rust. This is passenger side, just ahead of the wheel opening.

71charger_fan

The bottom of the trunk drop was very rusty and has been rebuilt.

71charger_fan

A cut off piece of the outer wheelhouse as a cutting guide to make a patch. Another piece I have already paid to have fixed that was just hidden under filler, seam sealer, and undercoating.

71charger_fan

A few photos I took on my visit to the shop today.

71charger_fan

Passenger side inner structure has been rebuilt.

71charger_fan

Seam sealed and the portion that will be pretty much hidden hit with basecoat while it's open. Heat lamp shifts the color toward pink.

71charger_fan

Passenger quarter fitted, sectioned, clamped, and ready to weld.

71charger_fan

Passenger quarter on. The panel was poorly made at the top of the leading edge and needed some body work.

hemi-hampton

In the past those 1/4's leading edge I've found to be way to round with no point to them. And they actually bulge out some at the bend/curved edge to make it a high spot all along edge. LEON.

71charger_fan

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 06, 2021, 10:58:45 PM
In the past those 1/4's leading edge I've found to be way to round with no point to them. And they actually bulge out some at the bend/curved edge to make it a high spot all along edge. LEON.

It had that going on but is also seemed to have a double stamping with two edges. Not bad enough to send it back, but cost me an extra hour or two in labor to straighten out.

71charger_fan

The rear of the unibody should soon be in epoxy primer.

CFMopar

Hey if you don't mind asking your shop next time you're there.

Do they know of a source for Cowels and front frame rails for 71?