News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Hits the Paint Booth

Started by 71charger_fan, October 25, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 08, 2021, 09:08:01 PM
The rear of the unibody should soon be in epoxy primer.

Looking Great !!

71charger_fan

Taking it down to bare metal was absolutely the right call. The door jamb was peeling down to the bare metal.

71charger_fan

Quote from: CFMopar on January 11, 2021, 03:08:17 PM
Hey if you don't mind asking your shop next time you're there.

Do they know of a source for Cowels and front frame rails for 71?

I got my frame rail from auto rust technicians. Now, their website refers you to Classic Industries. I couldn't find their products on Classic Industries' website.

You may be able to use a Challenger/Cuda cowl. They look pretty much the same. If nothing else, you might be able to use one for patches for yours.

71charger_fan

Two coats of epoxy went on yesterday.

71charger_fan

Still a long way to go.

NHCharger

Wow, nice. Glad you finally found a reputable shop.
you need to hustle if you plan on making Carlisle this year.
Are you planning on going?
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

71charger_fan

I've pre-registered. I hope to bring the Charger. If it's not ready, I might just switch the registration to the '55 Plymouth (again) or to my '15 Scat Pack and ride up there in air conditioning. The front fenders need a few patches, then it's into body work then paint. I'll do the interior at the house myself.

It's a sad commentary on body shops that it's so hard to find someone who cares about the product he puts out.

NHCharger

Quote from: 71charger_fan on January 17, 2021, 12:36:41 PM

It's a sad commentary on body shops that it's so hard to find someone who cares about the product he puts out.

Yup. That's why I ended up doing everything myself. The guy that did my 71 Charger did do a good job but he was rather quirky and difficult to deal with at times.
Probably 20+ years of paint fumes has done a number on him.  ;)

I'm going to register for Carlisle this week.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

hemi-hampton

Quote from: NHCharger on January 17, 2021, 03:32:54 PM

Yup. That's why I ended up doing everything myself. The guy that did my 71 Charger did do a good job but he was rather quirky and difficult to deal with at times.

So, that's what's wrong with me :scratchchin:

NHCharger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on January 17, 2021, 05:12:49 PM

That's ok, we still luv ya.
All kidding aside, I know two local bodyshop guys that spent the majority of their lives in the trade. One NEVER wore a mask except for final paint, the other would actually smoke a cigarette while sanding and priming. Both are now suffering a slow miserable death.  I'll wear a full respirator even when I'm just sanding filler.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

71charger_fan

Now the epoxy, seam sealer, etc can cure while a Mustang gets its paint.

71charger_fan

With the doors properly aligned to the quarters, the car now needs fiddling to align the fenders to the doors.

tan top

Probably 20+ years of paint fumes has done a number on him.  ;)

;)  me too  :scratchchin:

Quote from: NHCharger on January 19, 2021, 08:40:55 PM

Probably 20+ years of paint fumes has done a number on him.  ;)

That's ok, we still luv ya.
All kidding aside, I know two local bodyshop guys that spent the majority of their lives in the trade. One NEVER wore a mask except for final paint, the other would actually smoke a cigarette while sanding and priming. Both are now suffering a slow miserable death.  I'll wear a full respirator even when I'm just sanding filler.

i use to also when blocking filler, in the end i become over sensitised all the fumes of everything in a body / paint shop ,  i would  even wear a proper charcoal mask when even just mixing filler & troweling it  on  :P.  even just mixing paint / primers & cleaning guns. was better when we changed to waterbase 20 yeas ago , but still used 2k MS HS solids & clear coats primers ,
use to wear all the correct safety gear masks suits gloves full face airs feds &  still affected me , in the end even just the smell of cutting / polishing compound would affect me  :icon_smile_blackeye:  :yesnod: sorry for the mini hijack , just take no chances guys

Quote from: 71charger_fan on March 02, 2021, 01:02:19 PM
With the doors properly aligned to the quarters, the car now needs fiddling to align the fenders to the doors.

:coolgleamA: looks good !   :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

AKcharger

It's true! that's why Leon hastled me during my bodywork/paint!   :hah:

So glad that it finally looks like a car again!!

ACUDANUT

I love it. Although some here hate 3rd gen Chargers. FT. I own 3. :nana:

hemi-hampton

Do all the body lines line up. LEON.

71charger_fan

Once the driver fender gets dialed in all the body lines will be lined up.

71charger_fan

After some persuasion, the front fenders are aligned to the doors and the gaps are set.

hemi-hampton

was that persuasion with a hammer?

71charger_fan

71charger_fan

A hit on the driver side fender dating back before I owned the car is complicating getting the hood to fender gaps right.

hemi-hampton

Yeah, That don't look to good. Looks like both the Fender & Hood is part of the Problem unfortunately. :scratchchin:  Good Luck :scratchchin:

71charger_fan

The hood's a '74. But, the original hood rubbed at the front driver side corner since I bought the car in '86. If I have to accept a less-than-ideal hood to fender gap, I can live with it.

hemi-hampton

You shouldn't have to live with that, it can be made straight, i've done many before, may not be easy though, sometimes you gotta cut & weld ect., ect., I had one bowed out so bad (gap like over 1 inch wide) I had to weld a long steel plate along top of fender edge & pull on frame machine. Good Luck

71charger_fan

I was thinking a couple of relief cuts on the inside of the forward third of the driver fender might do the trick. I'm sure my body guy will get it. He's very, very picky. I'll probably drive up there Monday or Tuesday and see how it's going.