News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'71 Hits the Paint Booth

Started by 71charger_fan, October 25, 2014, 10:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

71charger_fan

When I talked to him on Monday, he was confident that he'd get it all aligned. He was hoping to start body work on the rest of the car this week.

71charger_fan

Got it in position to bodywork the lower parts of the car.

ACUDANUT

Awesome work. I prefer the 71-72 Charger looks.  Looks like it is going 200mph standing still.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

71charger_fan

Gaps just about dialed in.

CFMopar

Man that photo just inspires me to keep plugging away at mine. Looks great at that angle!

Quote from: 71charger_fan on April 01, 2021, 05:32:20 PM
Got it in position to bodywork the lower parts of the car.

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

71charger_fan

The unibody wasn't as solid as it is now when the car was new.

71charger_fan

Rust "repair" to the lower fender done by the previous shop cut out and done correctly.

71charger_fan

Let the blocking begin.

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

AKcharger

71charger_fan

Feathering in the AMD full quarter is going well. I'm very happy I had the drip rails shaved. Also a close up of a "repair" done by the previous shop that was cut out and replaced. It's the back side of the lower front fender patch. This car has not been driven in the rain since it was last painted and has only been washed maybe three times. When a shop doesn't give a #$%^, it shows.

71charger_fan

From the doors back, she's about ready for primer. The hood hinges that Resto Rick did for me look great.

71charger_fan

Blending the quarter panel end caps.

71charger_fan

Another previous "repair" cut out and redone properly.

71charger_fan

should be in primer from the doors back by this weekend. Unfortunately, I see no way it'll be done by Carlisle.

timmycharger

Looking really good!!  :cheers:

Man, I honestly never gave the 71 Charger a good look until this thread.  One of side shot pictures really shows off the lines and curves of the car.  Keep posting pics!!

:popcrn: :popcrn:

71charger_fan

Body alignment was a mess before. Looking like it should have looked when new now.

hemi-hampton

How'd the Hood to Fender gaps come out :scratchchin: :shruggy:

71charger_fan

They look good. Haven't seen it with the restored hinges installed. Front fenders still need some metal work and will need a lot of blocking. I'll probably retrieve the dash and associated components next week and start rewiring and reassembling that myself.

73chgrSE

Wow, this thread started in 2014. I admire your dedication to this project. It's gonna be epic! :cheers:

CFMopar

Those shaved drip rails look great. I thought about that on mine but still not sure about it....
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

71charger_fan

I paid the previous shop to fix the rusted out drip rails. I thought they had. Turns out, they just filled the rust holes with seam sealer and painted over it. So, the cost to remove them and the cost to fix them was about the same, so I told him to take them off.

71charger_fan

A fresh coat of satin black on the dash frame.

71charger_fan

Primed from doors back

71charger_fan

Restored '73/'74 hinges installed and hood aligned.