News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a rifle. First time gun owner, need advice, opinions.

Started by TheGhost, October 26, 2014, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheGhost

Pretty much set on a rifle, for versatility.  Leaning towards an AR.  Would prefer .223/5.56.  I know quite a few here are gun owners, so figured I'd ask for opinions and advice.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

RallyeMike

That's like saying I need a truck....

What do you intend to do with the rifle? Shoot squirrels, complete your Rambo Halloween costume, hunt deer, shoot empty beer bottle, defend your bunker, ....... (?)
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

TheGhost

Honestly, I want a "shit hits the fan" weapon, that I can occasionally hunt with.  Mostly it'll get used to shoot targets on weekends.
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

charge69

Lots of choices for what you want.  I, probably would buy a Colt AR as they are cheap right now. Second choice would be a S & W AR but an older Marlin 30-30 or Winchester 30-30 could receive serious consideration.

If you are really buying for a SHTF situation, remember, lighter is better and all that "tacticool" stuff just adds weight! A bare-bones AR is always going to be my choice!

TheGhost

Yeah, anything I get has to have iron sights.  Scopes and red dot sights are nice, but I want to still be able to aim without them, too.  Budget is also 1k.

charge69

A decent S & W AR is well under 1K, even with adding good open sights !  Pretty sure you can get a Colt AR these days for under 1K with all you would ever need.  In some places, Walmart even sells Colt AR's for under 1K !!

John_Kunkel

AR's and the .223 are so gaigh, go with the .308

http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/

Although my personal favorite is the FN FAL.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charge69

To John_Kunkel:  I guess you didn't read the part about a 1K budget.  You just aren't buying a M1a or a FN FAL for under 1K.  I like the .308 and carried a M14 in Vietnam but a decent AR at around 6 to 7 lbs. (my Colt AR's are under 6 lbs. unloaded) and 2 to 3 times as much ammo is more easily carried than a .308. My M14 came in at about 10 lbs. unloaded Probably a little more.

That said, I have a few .308 rifles but they are all bolt-action.  I do call my Mannlicher Mountain rifle with a Trijicon night scope on it my "urban-assault" rifle as it is a tackdriver. If I do my part it will easily shoot 1" groups at 200 yds. with cheap factory Remington ammo.

If this is to be TheGhost's first rifle and it is for a SHTF situation, An AR is hard to beat followed closely by a lever 30-30. I guess this is just my opinion but ........... I am hoping combat experience counts!

TheGhost

Quote from: John_Kunkel on October 26, 2014, 04:34:00 PM

AR's and the .223 are so gaigh, go with the .308

http://www.springfield-armory.com/m1a-series/

Although my personal favorite is the FN FAL.

M1A was my first choice, until I seen the price tag.  Bit too much, unfortunately.

twodko

I agree mostly agree with Charge69.
Lighter is life.....believe it! An AR at 6-7lbs allows you to kit-up
a lot more ammunition. All the tacti-bling BS in the world
won't cover your six if you don't have rounds to put down range.
Once you master iron sights, and it's easy to do, you'll be comfortable
shooting anything.

One large will buy a lot of long gun but remember the weight thing, it will
keep you vertical and ventilating.
I'd love to have an FN but.....$$$$$$$.

Buy a 5.56, something in .308 down the line and a reliable 12 gauge.
Hand guns are nice HD weapons but outside the wire if you have to
draw one (because you didn't di di when you had the chance).......you're already dead.  :Twocents:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

Indygenerallee

Century .308 CETME, I bought several a couple years ago for $500 each (most likely went up) bad ass rifles to shoot. Also in .308 PTR also makes a AWESOME .308 H&K copy (probably better than the H&K) I have owned one and a H&K 91 & 93 all Badass I love H&K though...
Sold my Charger unfortunately....never got it finished.

charge69

Good post, twodco !!  You, obviously, spent some time in the 'Nam also! A nice basic AR from a reputable company is a good start.

bordin34

First, what state do you live in?
Second, you never buy just one gun they are very addicting.
Pretty much any AR from a big company will be fine. I built mine with a 16" 1:7 chrome lined FN barrel on a palmetto upper. The barrel twist is really your choice anywhere between 1:9-1:7 will be fine, get a mil spec buffer tube, mil spec bolt and bolt carrier, dont buy into the Nickel boron stuff or whatever the new BCG coating is. I run my AR wet and it hasnt had a problem is over 1k steel cased rounds. Furniture is your choice. I prefer iron sights over a red dot, I have a KAC Micro flip up rear sight and a fixed F-marked front sight post, with that is a Primary Arms Aimpoint knockoff. My lower parts kit is from Palmetto, not the best single stage trigger, I wish I spent the money and upgraded to a nice two stage trigger on it. My lower receiver is from Aero Precision, it was a blemish but all the blemish is is some tooling chatter in the mag well.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

TheGhost

I'm in Nebraska, so gun laws aren't too strict, at least not yet.

RallyeMike

One last thing to consider is how much you will shoot on weekends vs. what your budget can afford to shoot.

You can shoot 22LR all day long every weekend. Cost goes up from there depending on your cal. choice. Of course you won't be hunting much with that - just an example.

1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

charge69

Nice try, John but, THAT is not a FN FAL.  It is an IMBEL built on a surplus parts kit.  ::) Even this "parts kit gun" is pushing the 1K mark after shipping, and local FFL transfer fees. That thing barely resembles a real FN and you may count on your life with an Atlantic Firearms parts-kit gun but, not me.    :nana:

redmist

My suggestion would be a Colt 6920...

When you are ready to build an ultra light weight gun, you can purchase one of my BALIOS-lite receiver sets, and build your dream gun. This one is about a pound lighter than a Colt 6920 we currently manufacture the lightest Billet set on the market.     Buuuutttt   It's a little spendy.   :slap:

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

draftingmonkey

Quote from: TheGhost on October 26, 2014, 10:39:31 AM
Pretty much set on a rifle, for versatility.  Leaning towards an AR.  Would prefer .223/5.56.  I know quite a few here are gun owners, so figured I'd ask for opinions and advice.

Quote from: TheGhost on October 26, 2014, 12:09:00 PM
Honestly, I want a "shit hits the fan" weapon, that I can occasionally hunt with.  Mostly it'll get used to shoot targets on weekends.

Quote from: TheGhost on October 26, 2014, 12:51:32 PM
Yeah, anything I get has to have iron sights.  Scopes and red dot sights are nice, but I want to still be able to aim without them, too.  Budget is also 1k.

Well Ghost if you want it for SHTF and hunting (deer I assume) I think the .223 is a little small. In some states, but I don't think in Nebraska, it is not allowed or only allowed by special permit.  I would go with either a .243 Win or a .308. It looks as if your budget is around $1K and you want an AR platform, so you might look at DPMS. It looks as if can get either caliber for around $1K.  :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

Yugo 59/66 sks. Its the ak47's father and shoots the same 7.62x39 round. Comes with a folding bayonet, radioactive flipup night sights, and a grenade launcher. You can buy a rifle and 1000 rnds of ammo and probably still be under your budget. They are accurate to 100 yards and i can keep all the rounds "on" a man sized target at 250 yards with iron sights and russian steel cased ammo.
   Here is mine.

bordin34

I have a Chinese SKS, completely numbers matching 1956 rifle. You cant believe the amount of cosmo that was on it. I've never really tried it for accuracy but from just goofing around it does around 6" at 100 yards with a terrible trigger. Thats a 1988 CZ82 in the holster.

Mahwah,NJ

bordin34

My 1941 Finnish M39 Mosin. Everybody needs at least one Mosin

1944 Swiss K31, it will shoot MOA. Great trigger and action.

Mahwah,NJ

dual fours

Wow what firearm would you want if the SHTF? Depends if it is local or Country wide? What ever you pick if you'll defending your bunker (home & family) your stuck in one spot, your battles will be up close and fast, Go Colt AR, a short rifle with open sights and stock pile lots of .223 ammo, food and water and be ready to stay for a long time and hope the bad guys don't have RPG's :o. If your on the move to safety (with your family, every one can shoot, right), you'll want lite weight equipment shooting a caliber that you can find on the run, on the dead bad guys or in the basement of the house's across town. House's here in the US of A are full of .223, .30-30, .308 Winchester and .30-06, the bad guy's will most likely have AK type 7.62x39mm or what ever this country's military carries at that time. Some gunrunner will be selling to the bad guys. If you chose .223 go with hollow point ammo or soft point for defense (does more damage if not a killing shot),(not for target practice, you'll be buying the practice rounds pre SHTF and stealing the rest when the SHTF). There will be no rules or laws, no Geneva Convention. Now if you will be on the run by yourself (overland) how about a good old bolt action Winchester or Remington in .308 Winchester? Remembering your need to resupply ammo. A scope is nice on the big caliber's (to reach out and touch someone) harassment/sniper fire, but then you are the aggressor and may not want that attention, but I see you like open sights, good choice on small caliber's, that makes you the aggressor/defender.
You'll never stop with just having one gun. :smilielol:
As for Deer hunting, (are you a bone hunter or meat hunter?), put a GOOD scope on the .223, if legal for you to use and shoot for the neck with soft or hollow point ammo (be sure it functions perfectly before hand). Don't ruin the back straps or quarters. :drool5:
Happy Hunting. Oh, and remember to practice loading and shooting in the dark.
Just my opinion.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

redmist

Don't worry about all the wiz-bang attachments, Get a Colt,  and spend some money on a GOOD carbine course through a reputable training establishment.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.