News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking to buy a rifle. First time gun owner, need advice, opinions.

Started by TheGhost, October 26, 2014, 10:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bordin34

You can fit 1200 rounds of 5.56 into a .50 cal ammo can or about 700 into a .30 cal ammo can.

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

draftingmonkey

Quote from: bordin34 on November 12, 2014, 05:13:23 PM
You can fit 1200 rounds of 5.56 into a .50 cal ammo can or about 700 into a .30 cal ammo can.
Is that loose packed in the .50 cal can? I thought you could pack about 700-800 boxed.

Something to think about in regards to humping ammo around (weights will vary but this is close), approx weight of 1200 rds:

.22 LR 36gr PHP @ Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 0.75  -  1200 x 0.75 = 9 lbs
.223/5.56X45 (milsurp) 63gr @ Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 2.69  -  1200x2.69 = 32.28 lbs.
30-30 Winchester 170gr flat nose @ Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 4.92  -  1200x4.92 = 59.04 lbs.
.308 Winchester 150gr FMJ @ Weight per 100 rounds (lbs): 5.25  -  1200x5.25 = 63 lbs.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=159381

twodko

.30 cal cans take up more space in my gun safe but
for me they are the only way to go.

Its a lot easier to hump a full .30 cal can of whatever
than a .50 cal can of same same.  :lol:
FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

chargerman69

bordin34

1973 SE Brougham Black 4̶0̶0̶  440 Auto.
1967 Coronet Black 440 Auto
1974 SE Brougham Blue 318 Auto- Sold to a guy in Croatia
1974 Valiant Green 318 Auto - Sold to a guy in Louisiana
Mahwah,NJ

redmist

I got 900 rounds in a 30 cal can, but it took a long time.  :icon_smile_dissapprove:  You can stagger them point to point in the bottom, and build layers.
JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

TheGhost

2 years later, and I've finally bought my rifle.  Haven't had the chance to shoot it yet, darn job is getting in the way. Planning on taking it out this Sunday. :icon_smile_big:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

TheGhost

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.  Especially if they have access to the internet.

redmist

JUNKTRAVELER: all I've seen in this thread is a bunch of bullies and 3 guys that actually give a crap.

draftingmonkey

SA Saint. Nice  :2thumbs:. Shooting Illustrated just did a write up on the Saint and they liked it. Ended the article with the line, "The Saint is a winner". After you shoot it come back and let us know what you think.

HPP

Quote from: dual fours on October 28, 2014, 02:30:03 AM
Wow what firearm would you want if the SHTF? Depends if it is local or Country wide? What ever you pick if you'll defending your bunker (home & family) your stuck in one spot, your battles will be up close and fast, Go Colt AR, a short rifle with open sights and stock pile lots of .223 ammo, food and water and be ready to stay for a long time and hope the bad guys don't have RPG's :o. If your on the move to safety (with your family, every one can shoot, right), you'll want lite weight equipment shooting a caliber that you can find on the run, on the dead bad guys or in the basement of the house's across town. House's here in the US of A are full of .223, .30-30, .308 Winchester and .30-06, the bad guy's will most likely have AK type 7.62x39mm or what ever this country's military carries at that time. Some gunrunner will be selling to the bad guys. If you chose .223 go with hollow point ammo or soft point for defense (does more damage if not a killing shot),(not for target practice, you'll be buying the practice rounds pre SHTF and stealing the rest when the SHTF). There will be no rules or laws, no Geneva Convention. Now if you will be on the run by yourself (overland) how about a good old bolt action Winchester or Remington in .308 Winchester? Remembering your need to resupply ammo. A scope is nice on the big caliber's (to reach out and touch someone) harassment/sniper fire, but then you are the aggressor and may not want that attention, but I see you like open sights, good choice on small caliber's, that makes you the aggressor/defender.

Lots of good points if seriously considering a SHTF firearm. I'd also add, it needs to be easily field serviceable and/or have access to spare parts.

Practice and capability is a big part of survival, so if it costs a small fortune to practice, you won't find yourself using the arms much.

DixieRestoParts

Lots of good info above. All I could add is that, there are some great deals on AR's right now. For a first time rifle you could get into a decent one pretty cheap. Lot of ways to modify them too. So, you can pretty much customize it to your liking. Just food for thought. Good luck with your decision.
Dixie Restoration Parts
Ball Ground, Georgia
Phone: (770) 975-9898
Phone Hours: M-F 10am-6pm EST
mail@dixierestorationparts.com
Veteran owned small business

The Best Parts at a Fair Price

DeltaV

Quote from: TheGhost on October 26, 2014, 10:39:31 AM
Pretty much set on a rifle, for versatility.  Leaning towards an AR.  Would prefer .223/5.56.  I know quite a few here are gun owners, so figured I'd ask for opinions and advice.

You might like this option:

http://www.80percentarms.com
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning. - Erwin Rommel

moparguy01

Quote from: bordin34 on November 13, 2014, 12:59:02 AM
Those are the figures I found loose packed.

When packing can and crate for DoD, there is 900 rounds per can, and 2 cans per crate. Each can and the crate have lead crimp seals. They are 50 cal. Cans.

DeltaV

Pretty much set on a rifle, for versatility.  Leaning towards an AR.  Would prefer .223/5.56.  I know quite a few here are gun owners, so figured I'd ask for opinions and advice.

1: Practice regularly and often. This will make you very familiar with your rifle, as well as make you a better shot.
2: Secure your rifle in a safe or sturdy, lockable cabinet...out of sight. Bolt it to the wall and floor.

sanders7981

Daniel Defense... Hands down.  They have multiple calibers available, various builds for lighter AR's, and are very accurate. 

bull

If I didn't own a gun the first thing I'd buy is a pump 12 gauge. Best all-around gun you can buy because the ammo is so versatile. You can kill deer, birds, bad guys, you name it. Then I'd get a good compact carry handgun and then I'd mess around with an AR or AK.

My favorite rifle is my model 94 Winchester 30-30.

ACUDANUT

Get a X Police dog, or try stealing a dog from a cop car. lol

DeltaV

Did you pull the trigger yet?

polywideblock

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

DeltaV

RCCDrew

ACUDANUT