News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Changing World?

Started by 500Jon, November 03, 2014, 06:31:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Hi Aero folks.
DC.com is truly a Mecca of Mopar!
But where is the Aero scene now?
Back in the late 70's into the 80's Wingcars were a fairly common sight in South England.
There was a famous 'London Cruise' in Chelsea where 'Wingcars' frequented regularly!
About a mile away in Wandsworth, there was bright-green Bird living on the Street!!!
I think at one time we had SEVEN wingcars here in England at once.
Mostly driven on the Street and enjoyed as an everyday sight 'for sore eyes'.
I have been to many Car shows, in recent times and they are all gone!
The US of A is the only place to see them now and I think its sad. :'( :'( :'(
Gone are the days of seeing 'Wingcars' pounding the pavement.
Mother Mopar gave the 'Wingcars to the masses and they are mostly hidden away.

Thats why I'm gonna drive my C500 as much as possible, before its a museum piece only! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Gas prices have taken a tumble so the time is right.
Bring back the 80's, the greatest decade of the 20th Century!!! :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Glad I got 3.54's in my Dana LoL.
500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

boss429kiwi

My Superbird came from England in 2001.

The USA is not the only place to see winged cars, as my car and another bird live in an area of only 120K (pop), here in NZ.
There are a good number in Australia, not to mention a large number in Europe (Sweden, Norway etc).

cheers
Gary
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

500Jon

Thanx for the reply Gary.
My point was more that the Wingcars are so valuable now, they are very rarely street driven.
I have two friends in California that drive their cars as much as possible.
But I know others that are to scared to get them outta hiding for fear of theft and vandalism.
The Wingcars are being brought back to the US of A from all over Europe.
I know that these cars belong in the US, but I was just reliving the 'old-days'.
The last Bird I saw at the Mopar Nationals in England was on a trailer with a very nervous owner!
He was anxious of even putting the car in the show ring in case someone lent on it or worse!!!
That went back to the US along with a Hemi Daytona and the famous English 'Petty-Bird'.

Looks like I will have to be happy to look at and admire the English 'Wing-clones' now.
Beautiful cars in their own right, but hey, not the real thing at all?

The good news is, a new runway at Atlanta Airport and cheap flights to the South West.
The home of all things 'NASCAR' LoL.

Just one more thing Gary, how many 69 C-500's in the Antipodeans???
Only two in Europe as far as I know.

Best wishes and enjoy your ride from 500Jon

boss429kiwi

Hi Jon

As mentioned, my 6 pack, 4 speed bird came over from England along with a red Daytona in 2001(ish).
I drive my bird (cars) at least once a fortnight, weather pending.
I have always been lead to believe there were many winged cars in UK, but as you mentioned, a lot may have returned to the US?  

I know of only one 69 500 in New Zealand, but I am sure there are others. Not sure about Australia (except that they have a shit rugby team ;) )

Gary

C500

Quote from: boss429kiwi on November 03, 2014, 06:22:19 PM
Hi Jon

As mentioned, my 6 pack, 4 speed bird came over from England along with a red Daytona in 2001(ish).
I drive my bird (cars) at least once a fortnight, weather pending.
I have always been lead to believe there were many winged cars in UK, but as you mentioned, a lot may have returned to the US?  

I know of only one 69 500 in New Zealand, but I am sure there are others. Not sure about Australia (except that they have a shit rugby team ;) )

Gary

Gary, this 500 you know of, is it mine? I heard there may be another in the South, but seems a mystery. Another friend knew of one at a swapmeet back in the 80's or 90's too.
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

boss429kiwi

Hi

Yes, it was your 69 500 I was referring to.
I am unsure of any others down this way, but I will keep an eye/ear out.

Thanks
Gary

500Jon

Nice one Antipodean C500 Guys!!!

I was told by a Cali friend that us non USA types, are only allowed to purchase unwanted green cars??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
But from what I can see on DC.com Y2's are equally hated LOL!!! :pity: :pity: :pity:

Even I wouldn't want one either, it would deffo go B5............................. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
5J

ps Gary, surely the Bird should be in the middle of the GARAGE!!! :2thumbs:

tyly

Many cars is going back to USA, but in Sweden is over ten aerocars now, only two Daytona. What I know, only one C500

In here Finland, is one Superbird and one Mercury, and I drive my Bird :)
Plymouth Superbird 440 six-pack, 4-speed, 15000 miles
Dodge Charger -70 RT/SE Hemi
Dodge Challenger convertible -70 6.4 SRT HEMI

http://tyly.kuvat.fi/

C500

Quote from: 500Jon on November 04, 2014, 05:33:23 AM
Nice one Antipodean C500 Guys!!!

I was told by a Cali friend that us non USA types, are only allowed to purchase unwanted green cars??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:
But from what I can see on DC.com Y2's are equally hated LOL!!! :pity: :pity: :pity:

Even I wouldn't want one either, it would deffo go B5............................. :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:
5J

ps Gary, surely the Bird should be in the middle of the GARAGE!!! :2thumbs:

Glad I took an unwanted, hated green car and saved those poor souls in USA from having it   :pity:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

boss429kiwi

Quote from: tyly on November 04, 2014, 09:33:03 AM
Many cars is going back to USA, but in Sweden is over ten aerocars now, only two Daytona. What I know, only one C500

In here Finland, is one Superbird and one Mercury, and I drive my Bird :)

You would be gobsmacked, if you new how many cars were leaving the USA shores, heading to New Zealand and Australia. I imported my 69 Cyclone from Hawaii, 70 Cobra Jet from Chicago and 57 Chev truck from Santa Monica, so no shores are safe  ::)

Most cars being imported to NZ & AU are your average Mustangs, Camaros etc, but a large number of rare cars are heading this way weekly.  

XS29LA47V21

Lots and lots of car options for car lovers out there, and ever yr another couple interesting new cars come out and become old and collectible to someone.. at some point.

500Jon

Hi Aero's,

All I hear now is 'BABY BOOMERS'.
Middle aged men with pockets full of cash and nothing to buy!

So they ''invest'' in a Wingcar.
As the Hemi-Cuda converts went ballistic it pulled the Wingcars along too.
Up and away from the enthusiasts and into the auction rooms!

That was the end of the 'HOBBY' for most Wingcar enthusiasts.

If you have any ideas on a Wingcar, best forget it, go for a C-500, rarer and prettier LOL! :2thumbs:
5J

Ghoste

It is a changing world and it will continue to do so.  The wing cars were never that common to begin with so the fact that some were regularly driven in the UK at one time would be somewhat of an unusual situation in the first place I think.  :shruggy:

boss429kiwi

Quote from: 500Jon on November 05, 2014, 05:41:34 AM
Hi Aero's,

All I hear now is 'BABY BOOMERS'.
Middle aged men with pockets full of cash and nothing to buy!

So they ''invest'' in a Wingcar.
As the Hemi-Cuda converts went ballistic it pulled the Wingcars along too.
Up and away from the enthusiasts and into the auction rooms!

That was the end of the 'HOBBY' for most Wingcar enthusiasts.

If you have any ideas on a Wingcar, best forget it, go for a C-500, rarer and prettier LOL! :2thumbs:
5J

Yes, these cars are worth a lot of money, but I believe they are still a good buy compared to most other collectible cars. When I think of other collectible cars and their values, they make Superbirds and Daytona's good buying. You can still buy a "good" superbird for $80K to $100K, and this is about the same as most rare big block cars.
You would pay $200K++ for a Boss 429 etc, $150K+ for a GT500, $80+ for a Z28, in fact most 440/6 Cuda's seem more valuable than Superbirds (which I do not understand).
$80K to $100K for a superbird is good buying considering. I guess their unique appearance has an effect on their value compared to others. There are not a lot of buyers for a winged car, compared to others etc

I purchased my Superbird not knowing anything about them. All I knew was the a 6 pack, 4 speed, with buckets and console in Tor Red was a desirable Superbird. When I compared the valve to other collectible cars, I thought it was an amazing purchase for the money.

So to sum up, winged cars are a great purchase for the money (bang for bucks)......IMO

maxwellwedge

Quite a few in Canada. My friends shop has 6 Daytona's in it as we speak. More around....lots of Birds and 500's as well.

69_500

Just wanted to point out there are more than a few of us aero people who still drive their cars quite a bit.  I know I am not afraid to hop in my 500 and head anywhere. The Croxfords are the same way in their birds, heck so is Rick Edwards and Mike Atkins.