News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Karl Gould Hemi Superbird

Started by gymratt30, November 04, 2014, 05:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gymratt30

I have recently picked up the Karl Gould / Tim Richards hemi  car and I are looking for some of the "in the day" race shots of this car.
I have gotten 5 or 6 pics off of the other threads about this car, But I'm now searching leads on possible photographs that may be out there from days gone by shot by armature photographers , I was lucky enough to find actual footage of this car making passes back at York 30 dragway .
our plans are to bring this car back to the "as raced " look of 1970. (see attached pic)

Michael and I had this car on display at Don Garlits this past weekend, it was a "hit among the cars there.... we actually took both our white car, our red car and this one..... this car got 3 times the attention than the other cars..lol

Like I mentioned above, i have gotten 5 or 6 from the threads that already exist on this one.

lastly I'm looking for the original hemi that went in this car... it was pulled with less that 10 miles on it.... Tim Richards told me he thinks it was sold to the Late Bob Chipper from Binghamton NY. ( a fellow drag racer) . the engine's/car's vin is 161573.
I am willing to pay a $1000.00 finders fee if I am able to find the current owner , and BUY the engine.
Bob chipper died in 2012, so I'm now looking for some of His racer friends.

any help on chasing history of this car would be much appreciated.

So, can any of you guys help in my search for pics of this one?
Mike

"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

69_500

Congrats on the car Mike. That is an incredible ride.

gymratt30

Thanks Daniel.....it's been fun tracking history so far.

moparnation74

Very nice indeed!  Any chance of posting pics in it's current state.

Is it a 4spd?  Any idea why they pulled the engine so soon?

I will check around.

nascarxx29

Does this help.Also Hemi Fred is a local mopar guy and drag raced for years in the day and was Jack werst crew chief.And contacted wally bell to answer a question about this car    
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67778.msg762159/topicseen.html#msg762159

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86475.msg976288.html#msg976288

Re: ebay photo--what bird is this?

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify  

My friend Fred came through knowing who to ask Wally Bell was on scene when this Gould superbird was doing its thing

To: Hemifred

Subject: Re: gould super bird

I had the deal in '69.
The Engine came from Sox&Martin ( I met Jake at the S&M shop after the AHRA race in Texas)'69. (Don Carlton won with it.)
Chrysler helped us some (Koffel)
Gould

brought Tim in
they put an automatic in the car(the '69) raced it a little then put the engine in the butt F'in' ugly nascar superbird..
I have no idea where Any of this stuff ended up..
that's my true story and I'm stickin' to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: wallycbell
Sent: Mon, March 15, 2010 9:50:00 AM
Subject: gould super bird

wally what do you remember about the Superbird that Richards ? who drove it etc ? Sox motor Huh
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

billssuperbird

Check with Jim Kramer a race hemi guru phone 724-285-5566 fax 724-285-8898 address p.o.box 5 Herman, pa 16039. Email kramerauto@aol.com good luck.

tan top

congratulations :cheers: :2thumbs:

would love to see pictures sometime ,  :popcrn: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

gymratt30

Quote from: moparnation74 on November 04, 2014, 08:33:58 PM
Very nice indeed!  Any chance of posting pics in it's current state.

Is it a 4spd?  Any idea why they pulled the engine so soon?

I will check around.

This car is a automatic (originally B5 Blue white bench seat car).

Tim Richards told me that they picked this car up from the dealership the day in came in off the truck, (said it was not  even "dealer prepped")
from there they drove it straight over to the race shop and pulled the hemi out (car had less than 10 miles when the original engine came out), they then droped in the Sox and Martin Hemi.

* Tim told me with a chuckle..... "funny story about that car...  "when I got the car to the shop , we went through the car, and when we pulled the back seat out....there  was a 1/2 eaten peanut butter and Jelly sandwich.... "some line worker must of left there"..lol

I told Tim that my plans were to restore back to its "as raced day" ..... but might leave out the Peanut butter and jelly sandwich .

billssuperbird

gymratt30

here's a few of how the car looks today..... NOW BEFORE YOU GUYS START THROWING STONES......lol...Just for the record I LOVE THE CURRENT PAINT...but, I like the look  of the race day paint better. so go ahead... throw me to the lions...lol

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

gymratt30

..-

gymratt30

you can see in the door vin picture... traces of the original b5 blue , then the second paint (white is when it was owned by the Carpinet Brothers... (ive talked to Bob Carpinet also... lots of good info from him.)

gymratt30

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 05, 2014, 12:42:53 AM
Does this help.Also Hemi Fred is a local mopar guy and drag raced for years in the day and was Jack werst crew chief.And contacted wally bell to answer a question about this car    
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,67778.msg762159/topicseen.html#msg762159

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86475.msg976288.html#msg976288

Re: ebay photo--what bird is this?

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 09:32:29 AM »
Reply with quoteQuote Modify messageModify  

My friend Fred came through knowing who to ask Wally Bell was on scene when this Gould superbird was doing its thing

To: Hemifred

Subject: Re: gould super bird

I had the deal in '69.
The Engine came from Sox&Martin ( I met Jake at the S&M shop after the AHRA race in Texas)'69. (Don Carlton won with it.)
Chrysler helped us some (Koffel)
Gould

brought Tim in
they put an automatic in the car(the '69) raced it a little then put the engine in the butt F'in' ugly nascar superbird..
I have no idea where Any of this stuff ended up..
that's my true story and I'm stickin' to it.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To: wallycbell
Sent: Mon, March 15, 2010 9:50:00 AM
Subject: gould super bird

wally what do you remember about the Superbird that Richards ? who drove it etc ? Sox motor Huh

YES, this did help a lot in my quest, thanks Doug!

farm966

I saw the car at Garlits and talked to Mike quite a bit about the car...he opened and closed the door and I couldnt believe how tight that car is...

billssuperbird

We're did you find the car and I like the 70s look.

gymratt30

:cheers: yes Sir David, I loved seeing your car also.
Quote from: farm966 on November 05, 2014, 08:04:33 AM
I saw the car at Garlits and talked to Mike quite a bit about the car...he opened and closed the door and I couldnt believe how tight that car is...

gymratt30

Quote from: billssuperbird on November 05, 2014, 08:08:57 AM
We're did you find the car and I like the 70s look.

I found this car In PA. it spent all of its life in a small radius of York 30 dragway.

FJ5WING

Not throwing any stones!

I LOVE the idea of taking back to its historical race theme. Was the car advertised or...how did you find it for sale?
wingless now, but still around.

gymratt30

Quote from: FJ5WING on November 05, 2014, 08:51:02 AM
Not throwing any stones!

I LOVE the idea of taking back to its historical race theme. Was the car advertised or...how did you find it for sale?

I found this car through a buddy of mine Gary French... we talked about this car for a year or so , before I made contact with the owner.

hemigeno

Hi Mike,

Congrats (again!) on the car - it's a fantastic piece of racing history.  Not that you have any intentions of doing so, but your car spent such a short time in stock/B5 form it would have an identity complex if you took it back to as-delivered condition now.  Its current paint scheme would be pretty wild to retain, but there are lots of photos in Karl Gould livery.  Any good photos of it in its white/Carpinet colors?  (Maybe I've seen them and am just drawing a blank at the moment).

Hard to go wrong with that one.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks for posting up about your great news!!

Gene