News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Karl Gould Hemi Superbird

Started by gymratt30, November 04, 2014, 05:29:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gymratt30

Quote from: hemigeno on November 05, 2014, 11:26:43 AM
Hi Mike,

Congrats (again!) on the car - it's a fantastic piece of racing history.  Not that you have any intentions of doing so, but your car spent such a short time in stock/B5 form it would have an identity complex if you took it back to as-delivered condition now.  Its current paint scheme would be pretty wild to retain, but there are lots of photos in Karl Gould livery.  Any good photos of it in its white/Carpinet colors?  (Maybe I've seen them and am just drawing a blank at the moment).

Hard to go wrong with that one.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Thanks for posting up about your great news!!

Gene

Gene I got these from Bob Carpinet ... more coming as he digs em up

"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

gymratt30

gymratt30

its wearing this paint in these photos.........

gymratt30

before that it was called" infamy" (* Bob basically took the Karl Gould door paint off) and had Imfamy painted..... the above pictues (white ) was the cars 2nd paint job.
sorry if this is confusing. I should have posted in order.

maxwellwedge

Very, very cool car - congrats!  :cheers:

gymratt30

Quote from: maxwellwedge on November 05, 2014, 12:04:02 PM
Very, very cool car - congrats!  :cheers:

thanks so much, its been so much fun talking to the guys remembering seeing this car run.
now the search is on for the Original engine.
Mike

nascarxx29

From the earlier post any more clues on the engine BS27ROB:.[Engine was removed with only 8 miles on it]
 Sorry I've taken so long to respond to this. The car's VIN is RM23ROA161573 originally B5, white bench interior, auto on the column. I spoke with Paul Messemer a few years ago. He told me he worked for Gould at the time. He said the car had 8 miles on it when they pulled the engine and replaced it with the S&M race hemi. Messemer told me he owned the car, he had Richards doing the driving. If you notice in the ad it is stated the car has "custom metalflake paint". Although not the greatest quality, this is the only picture I have of the car in that first custom paint. A friend of mine who race at the same time and knew these guys and the car told me he thinks John Circus did the custom paint. Messemer sold the car to the Carpinet Brothers of Wyoming, Pa in (he believes) 1971. From what I understand they ran the car for a while, then put a 440 in the car and it was sold to Frank Obitz of Wilkes-Barre, PA. Frank had the car painted in its current scheme. It passed through another owner who removed the engine and sold it to me. There are at least 2 broadcast sheets with the car, 1 of which is visible under the front seat.
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

thehemikid

Quote from: gymratt30 on November 05, 2014, 10:54:11 AM
Quote from: FJ5WING on November 05, 2014, 08:51:02 AM
Not throwing any stones!

I LOVE the idea of taking back to its historical race theme. Was the car advertised or...how did you find it for sale?

I found this car through a buddy of mine Gary French... we talked about this car for a year or so , before I made contact with the owner.

Gary ( locally known as jr. French),....pretty amazing at finding wings & things!

Mopar John

Mike,
Congrats on the great find!
I hope you put the KARL GOULD livery back on and return the car to the track!
I would love to take it down the track! Just awesome piece of history!
MJ

65post

I love winger`s with ( back in the day ) custom paint and this one has had a few Custom paint jobs done to it.But I think the Karl Gould B5 one would be the Keeper. :Twocents:
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

wingcar

Just to throw my opinion and two cents in.....I hope you return to the Karl Gould paint job as that is how most would remember it.  Having said that, IF the car hadn't been a racer and better known with the Gould paint job I want have voted for keeping the custom paint job you purchased the car with.  Not sure I care for it all that much, but that is besides the point.  The point I would make is that to many of these cars from back in the day that had standout custom paint jobs have/are being restored back to stock and therefore losing their past.  And, while I appreciate a bone stock restoration....I like to see some of these car left as they were back in the day.   
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

nascarxx29

Theres a video I believe Tan Top posted showing the Karl Gould car at the drags in action :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

tan top

Quote from: nascarxx29 on November 06, 2014, 12:34:40 PM
Theres a video I believe Tan Top posted showing the Karl Gould car at the drags in action :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

:2thumbs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96LAvyOu3rk

8 minutes 12 seconds into the video

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

gymratt30

Quote from: Mopar John on November 05, 2014, 09:14:24 PM
Mike,
Congrats on the great find!
I hope you put the KARL GOULD livery back on and return the car to the track!
I would love to take it down the track! Just awesome piece of history!
MJ

thanks Mopar John... my plans are to get it back to race look, .... im chasing leads on the original engine... If i could get the original engine , it would go back in the car ... not so much as a all out  race build , but something in-between.

gymratt30

when we brought her home it did not have engine or tranny installed. it had a 69 440 k member in it, So we had to swap that stuff back out to prepare for the Hemi.
here's a picture of the date code on the hemi that came with the car..

gymratt30

engine and tranny bolted up

gymratt30

because the engine had not been run in quite a few years, I wanted to do a "test fire" outside the car to make sure we had no big engine issues ..... It was the First time I've ever fired a engine on the ground..... I did this with out the Help of Micheal, (he was/is away at college, so I had to shoot him a video of the test fire....
it took me 4 trys to figure out that I needed a constant 12 volts to the coil.....( I had the starter dog wire twisted in with the coil wire and kept pulling both off the battery when i would hear it fire.......told Michael what I had done ...he laughed and said,..."I could have told you that".... anyway it was a good test fire once I remembered to keep the coil wire on it the whole time...lol

heres the you tube link

http://youtu.be/IwtPF7Unhng

gymratt30

heres a picture of us putting the engine back in ( two weeks ago)....just so we could take it to The Mopars at Don Garlits show last weekend...

gymratt30

I need to thank Troy for his helpful post about using the Cherry Picker to lift the front of the car..... made a few phone calls to Him..."thanks so much Buddy!"

gymratt30

way up in the air...

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

:2thumbs:  I like old race cars. 

I know you'll locate the original engine, too.   :cheers:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

nascarxx29

Hemi superbird article was called grooming the elephant they to used the cherry picker and did hemi from the bottom

Beep Beep Dave

Quote from: wingcar on November 06, 2014, 12:31:40 PM
Just to throw my opinion and two cents in.....I hope you return to the Karl Gould paint job as that is how most would remember it.  Having said that, IF the car hadn't been a racer and better known with the Gould paint job I want have voted for keeping the custom paint job you purchased the car with.  Not sure I care for it all that much, but that is besides the point.  The point I would make is that to many of these cars from back in the day that had standout custom paint jobs have/are being restored back to stock and therefore losing their past.  And, while I appreciate a bone stock restoration....I like to see some of these car left as they were back in the day.   

I agree and congrats on the great find. It's nice to know these cars are still out there. I liked it better with the Centerlines over the rallyes.

This will be an interesting thread to follow. Hopefully more info gets uncovered.

Best of luck!

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona