News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation V2 Daytona: Update 01/10/2015 Engine reinstallation

Started by hemi68charger, November 10, 2014, 07:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Operation V2 Daytona:
This may look familiar, the Daytona is pointing outward, in preparation for engine REMOVAL !!!
As you can see in the picture, this is what came out of the oil pan.... Sooooo, since it leaked while sitting, I don't feel comfortable with a Blue Devil or Bar's leak fix treatment.. Soooo, out it comes... The red stuff is residual tranny fluid in the pan... Apparently 426 Hemis are notorious for headbolt #5... After my heart came back from my stomach, I just called around and well, I am going the sure way, head gasket replacement.. So, with the help of some friends, we pushed the Daytona out into the driveway and "three-point" turned her so her snout would be facing the other way in the garage. I'll not try to remove the heads while the motor's in the car. There's too much risk of messing up the paint on the car. Plus, it is hard as heck trying to work over those fenders with the scoop and Lord knows I can't reach over that nose..... So, the drivertrain assembly will come out the same way it went in, from the bottom. Then, I'll take the motor to a trusted speed shop and have them replace the head gaskets and pressure test the sucker.......I can't believe I'm making a folder for my pictures entitled ( Engine_Removal )... The silver lining is I discovered this before I fired it up to check the transmission I just put in the car. So, the motor never ran with this water-laced oil........
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

69_500

Hey Troy, I will trade you a running driving numbers matching 500 for the non running daytona.

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_500 on November 10, 2014, 07:59:04 AM
Hey Troy, I will trade you a running driving numbers matching 500 for the non running daytona.

Chip off the ole' block there Danny.. I applaud you....... But, I'll have to pass on the "Danny-trade"........  ;D
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Dave Kanofsky

Sorry for your troubles, although glad you found it before any damage was done... :icon_smile_sad:
"God sent his Son into the world not to judge the world, but to save the world through him." John 3:17, NLT

Racers For Christ Chaplain (www.teamrfc.org)

Mytur Binsdirti

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

held1823

bummer. no better time to find it, though.

the race is on for the first one to move under its own power,  troy versus stuart. 

my money is on troy
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

hemi68charger

Quote from: held1823 on November 10, 2014, 11:18:40 AM
bummer. no better time to find it, though.

the race is on for the first one to move under its own power,  troy versus stuart. 

my money is on troy

Stu? Guess I've forgotten or missed it........ What happened?

Troy

Homerr

I started reading and was curious if the 426 was going in your new surprise, and the 440 back in the Daytona.  Bummer to hear about the leaks!

hemi68charger

Quote from: Homerr on November 10, 2014, 11:51:03 AM
I started reading and was curious if the 426 was going in your new surprise, and the 440 back in the Daytona.  Bummer to hear about the leaks!

Nope, the 426 Hemi has a green-card for the Daytona, it is a permanent-resident. It just needs to go to the doctor. The other car will have its own mill............
Troy

tan top

oh Crikey , bummer  :brickwall:   , sorry to see this  :icon_smile_blackeye:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

Looks like you got lucky not firing her up. Not so lucky having to pull it out again but better that this all happened at home and not on a road trip. :rotz:

white

Since I have never owned or worked on a 426 hemi let me see if I understand what is going on. A head gasket failure caused radiator fluid to find its way to the oil pan because the radiator is higher than the motor correct? If so is this something that is common to a 426 hemi?  Thank for any education. Hope all is well Troy.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

70Sbird

That sux,
Sorry to hear about that Troy, I suppose as someone said earlier if it was going to happen, better it be in you garage on you timeschedule than three states away on a roadtrip.
Keep us updated on your findings
Scott

Scott Faulkner

maxwellwedge

Quote from: white on November 10, 2014, 08:27:19 PM
Since I have never owned or worked on a 426 hemi let me see if I understand what is going on. A head gasket failure caused radiator fluid to find its way to the oil pan because the radiator is higher than the motor correct? If so is this something that is common to a 426 hemi?  Thank for any education. Hope all is well Troy.

The head gasket also seals the water jackets that transfer water from the heads to block.....if they blow next to one of those passages water will blow out into the engine.....on any engine...not just a Hemi.

moparchris

Sorry to hear about this Troy.  I went through similar issues with the hemi in my 68 Charger.  Turned out the valve spring seats were machined to low and under high valve spring pressure a pin hole crack happened and I was leaking oil into the coolant channel that runs through the heads.  Drove me crazy lifting those darn heads in and out of the car.  I finally went with a set of aluminum heads.  Lots easier to lift.  My back feels your pain...
Hang in there.  When you re motoring down the road it will all seem worth it.

Ghoste

What is it about the number five head bolt that makes it notorious for leaks?

hemi68charger

Getting the ole girl ready for drivetrain removal. The silver lining is the '68/69 Hemi oil pan. If it wasn't for the fact I ordered this to make the motor more OEM correct, I would have never drained the oil, hence discovering the problem prior to testing the tranny...
Troy

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

hemi68charger

Whew.... Long day..
I have the feeling of Deja Vu....
Well, thanks to my friend Dave P.I got the Hemi out of the Daytona today.. Will take it to another friend who's been building Hemi's since these things were new..

Troy

1RareBird

When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

73rallye440magnum

Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the Hemi door emblem present in some pictures and absent in others?

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

hemi68charger

Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on December 05, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the Hemi door emblem present in some pictures and absent in others?

Where's Waldo !!!!! ?? Did that on purpose....
Troy

JB400

Is the 440 going back in til the Hemi gets repaired?

hemi68charger

Quote from: JB400 on December 05, 2014, 10:26:04 PM
Is the 440 going back in til the Hemi gets repaired?

Heavens no.. The motor "should" be done next weekend if I can get it to my friend's house who is going g to check it out.....
Troy

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1RareBird on December 05, 2014, 07:54:54 PM
Perfect time for a 4-speed swap!

If I didn't have to cut up the original floor pan I would.
Troy

TUFCAT

Like I said on Facebook man, I really hate to see you go through this again.  :'(

I'm sending good vibes for a speedy (and relatively inexpensive) recovery.  :2thumbs: 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 05, 2014, 10:19:52 PM
Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on December 05, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
The magic of magnets !!!

Where's Waldo !!!!! ?? Did that on purpose....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Friday the heads were finished... They were 2 thousands warped... So, that had to be my problem. Also found out the heads aren't OEM Street Hemi production heads, they are Top Fuel heads.... The heads were magnafluxed (no signs of cracks), decked 3 thousands (flat as a pancake now) and pressure tested over night (those heads aren't going to leak any coolant). Also, my friend putting the motor back together cylinder pressure tested them after installation, with only a 5% leakdown.. That is a great number.... Sooooo, looks like I'll be putting her back in the ole' Daytona soon.......... I'll hopefully go pick it up Friday, start freshing up the details and once again, install from underneath......... What an adventure..............  :2thumbs:
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

Stevearino

hemi68charger

Back home and secure... Now, time to refresh the detailing post-removal and repair...  :2thumbs:
Troy

73rallye440magnum

You really embrace diversity, don't you?

Killer garage! All the right colors.

Beep Beep Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Hawkes-Nest Cars....
While watching Graveyard Cars, Jacob helped me mate the tranny to the motor to the k-member to the dolly..
Got the new torque converter in yesterday thus allowing me to put things together. Have the valve covers getting powder-coated in black wrinkle for longevity and durability...

Troy

moparnation74

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

hemi68charger

Just finished reinstalling the drivetrain this morning..... Now for all the little details to start up again.. Hopefully next weekend....... Thanks to my buddy Dave P., it went fairly well.....
Have a little Graveyard Carz in the background.......  ;D

Will fire up the motor, then replace the oil and filter...........
Troy

hemi68charger

Some more..
Troy

charger Downunder

Wow good job so you use the engine lift to raise the car up enough to slide the engine and trans under. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
[/quote]

Stevearino

mopar4ya

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2014, 03:56:36 PM
Friday the heads were finished... They were 2 thousands warped... So, that had to be my problem. Also found out the heads aren't OEM Street Hemi production heads, they are Top Fuel heads.... The heads were magnafluxed (no signs of cracks), decked 3 thousands (flat as a pancake now) and pressure tested over night (those heads aren't going to leak any coolant). Also, my friend putting the motor back together cylinder pressure tested them after installation, with only a 5% leakdown.. That is a great number.... Sooooo, looks like I'll be putting her back in the ole' Daytona soon.......... I'll hopefully go pick it up Friday, start freshing up the details and once again, install from underneath......... What an adventure..............  :2thumbs:

Great looking car!!!  Been watching your post's for quite awhile, nice job.  Did you pressure test the engine before reinstalling it ??  Myself, I would also be looking for other places that might have caused the problem. .002 warped, yes that's off a bit, but I wouldn't have thought that would have caused the problem unless there were other issues on how the heads were installed. Just my 2 cents. Hope all works out for the best!

Dan.     

73rallye440magnum

Hemi Runner

Quote from: mopar4ya on January 10, 2015, 08:49:08 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2014, 03:56:36 PM

Great looking car!!!  Been watching your post's for quite awhile, nice job.  Did you pressure test the engine before reinstalling it ??  Myself, I would also be looking for other places that might have caused the problem. .002 warped, yes that's off a bit, but I wouldn't have thought that would have caused the problem unless there were other issues on how the heads were installed. Just my 2 cents. Hope all works out for the best!

Dan.     
That big port on that engine might not run so well at lower engine rpm. You should pressure test the block before you fire it up.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemi Runner on January 11, 2015, 08:41:10 AM
That big port on that engine might not run so well at lower engine rpm. You should pressure test the block before you fire it up.

The heads were coolant pressure tested at the machine shop and after the heads were installed, all 8 cylinders were pressure tested for leak-down. All past with flying colors...

Troy

TUFCAT

I like the engine dolly...can you tell me where that came from?  If it was hand built can you show pictures (less engine on it)?  I'd like to get some ideas.

mopar4ya

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 11, 2015, 09:01:39 AM

The heads were coolant pressure tested at the machine shop and after the heads were installed, all 8 cylinders were pressure tested for leak-down. All past with flying colors...

Just me, but there is no way I would go through all the work putting the engine back in without pressurizing the COOLANT system first. A cylinder leak down test probably wouldn't show coolant going in to the oil. Good luck, and hope everything works out for you.

Dan.

69_Charger_RT

Troy where did you lift the front end from?   Front frame rail with some straps? Can't tell from pics 

Cars looking great - almost done  :2thumbs:

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_Charger_RT on January 11, 2015, 03:56:20 PM
Troy where did you lift the front end from?   Front frame rail with some straps? Can't tell from pics 

Chris..
Yeap, some straps with hooked ends that fit perfectly in a hole just in front of the forward k-member attach point on the frame rail. Can't do it the traditional way with that nose up front...

Troy

Hemi Runner

Quote from: mopar4ya on January 11, 2015, 01:33:55 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on January 11, 2015, 09:01:39 AM

Just me, but there is no way I would go through all the work putting the engine back in without pressurizing the COOLANT system first. A cylinder leak down test probably wouldn't show coolant going in to the oil. Good luck, and hope everything works out for you.

Dan.
That's what I meant as well. All you would have to do is bolt some blocks over the two water pump holes on each side, one with a tire valve stem in it and the other with a pressure gauge. Put some pressure on it and make sure there's no internal leaks from the cooling system to the valley or crankcase. 15 or 20 psi and make sure it holds for a while and you're good to go. I have a buddy who bought a new aftermarket block and it had an casting defect and it filled the pan with water when they filled the radiator.

tan top

Charger Stuff 

gymratt30

good Job Troy! :cheers:
about to to exactly that with the Karl Gould car. ( second time)lol 
Im going to use the ramps at the back this time.. thanks for posting.
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

hemi68charger

Quote from: gymratt30 on January 12, 2015, 11:57:47 AM
...Im going to use the ramps at the back this time.. thanks for posting.

Mike,
Just make sure your parking brake is applied nice and firm............  :2thumbs:

Also, if you're making a dolly (if you don't have one yet), make sure the casters enable the dolly to be as low as possible (but high enough to maybe get a floor-jack under it)
Troy

70Sbird

Quote from: gymratt30 on January 12, 2015, 11:57:47 AM
good Job Troy! :cheers:
about to to exactly that with the Karl Gould car. ( second time)lol  
Im going to use the ramps at the back this time.. thanks for posting.

Mike,
I used ramps the second time I swapped engines in a wing car and they made the process much easier by increasing the overall height of the body. An as Troy said...be sure the e-brake is set!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

69_Charger_RT

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 11, 2015, 04:42:34 PM
Quote from: 69_Charger_RT on January 11, 2015, 03:56:20 PM

Chris..
Yeap, some straps with hooked ends that fit perfectly in a hole just in front of the forward k-member attach point on the frame rail. Can't do it the traditional way with that nose up front...

Thanks Troy - I always forget my sn is different on this forum.  On the cudachallenger, fbbo, febo, and moparts its Falbz.  Maybe I should pm a moderator and have it changed.   :scratchchin: I just bought my charger first and then like all of us keep adding to the collection  :eek2:

Anyways I was curious as I do not have a wing car YET  :cheers:  hopefully you are enjoying the TA until your Bird project pops up.

-Jordan