News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation V2 Daytona: Update 01/10/2015 Engine reinstallation

Started by hemi68charger, November 10, 2014, 07:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JB400

Is the 440 going back in til the Hemi gets repaired?

hemi68charger

Quote from: JB400 on December 05, 2014, 10:26:04 PM
Is the 440 going back in til the Hemi gets repaired?

Heavens no.. The motor "should" be done next weekend if I can get it to my friend's house who is going g to check it out.....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Quote from: 1RareBird on December 05, 2014, 07:54:54 PM
Perfect time for a 4-speed swap!

If I didn't have to cut up the original floor pan I would.
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

TUFCAT

Like I said on Facebook man, I really hate to see you go through this again.  :'(

I'm sending good vibes for a speedy (and relatively inexpensive) recovery.  :2thumbs: 

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 05, 2014, 10:19:52 PM
Quote from: 73rallye440magnum on December 05, 2014, 08:28:23 PM
Are my eyes playing tricks on me, or is the Hemi door emblem present in some pictures and absent in others?
The magic of magnets !!!

Where's Waldo !!!!! ?? Did that on purpose....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Friday the heads were finished... They were 2 thousands warped... So, that had to be my problem. Also found out the heads aren't OEM Street Hemi production heads, they are Top Fuel heads.... The heads were magnafluxed (no signs of cracks), decked 3 thousands (flat as a pancake now) and pressure tested over night (those heads aren't going to leak any coolant). Also, my friend putting the motor back together cylinder pressure tested them after installation, with only a 5% leakdown.. That is a great number.... Sooooo, looks like I'll be putting her back in the ole' Daytona soon.......... I'll hopefully go pick it up Friday, start freshing up the details and once again, install from underneath......... What an adventure..............  :2thumbs:
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Stevearino

hemi68charger

Back home and secure... Now, time to refresh the detailing post-removal and repair...  :2thumbs:
Troy

73rallye440magnum

You really embrace diversity, don't you?

Killer garage! All the right colors.
Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Beep Beep Dave

'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

hemi68charger

Hawkes-Nest Cars....
While watching Graveyard Cars, Jacob helped me mate the tranny to the motor to the k-member to the dolly..
Got the new torque converter in yesterday thus allowing me to put things together. Have the valve covers getting powder-coated in black wrinkle for longevity and durability...

Troy

moparnation74

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

hemi68charger

Just finished reinstalling the drivetrain this morning..... Now for all the little details to start up again.. Hopefully next weekend....... Thanks to my buddy Dave P., it went fairly well.....
Have a little Graveyard Carz in the background.......  ;D

Will fire up the motor, then replace the oil and filter...........
Troy

hemi68charger

Some more..
Troy

charger Downunder

Wow good job so you use the engine lift to raise the car up enough to slide the engine and trans under. :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
[/quote]

Stevearino

mopar4ya

Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2014, 03:56:36 PM
Friday the heads were finished... They were 2 thousands warped... So, that had to be my problem. Also found out the heads aren't OEM Street Hemi production heads, they are Top Fuel heads.... The heads were magnafluxed (no signs of cracks), decked 3 thousands (flat as a pancake now) and pressure tested over night (those heads aren't going to leak any coolant). Also, my friend putting the motor back together cylinder pressure tested them after installation, with only a 5% leakdown.. That is a great number.... Sooooo, looks like I'll be putting her back in the ole' Daytona soon.......... I'll hopefully go pick it up Friday, start freshing up the details and once again, install from underneath......... What an adventure..............  :2thumbs:

Great looking car!!!  Been watching your post's for quite awhile, nice job.  Did you pressure test the engine before reinstalling it ??  Myself, I would also be looking for other places that might have caused the problem. .002 warped, yes that's off a bit, but I wouldn't have thought that would have caused the problem unless there were other issues on how the heads were installed. Just my 2 cents. Hope all works out for the best!

Dan.     

73rallye440magnum

Current- 70 Charger XH29G Y3, F8, F8

Past- '73 Rallye U code, '69 Coronet 500 vert, '68 Roadrunner clone, XP29H8, XP29G8

Hemi Runner

Quote from: mopar4ya on January 10, 2015, 08:49:08 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on December 16, 2014, 03:56:36 PM

Great looking car!!!  Been watching your post's for quite awhile, nice job.  Did you pressure test the engine before reinstalling it ??  Myself, I would also be looking for other places that might have caused the problem. .002 warped, yes that's off a bit, but I wouldn't have thought that would have caused the problem unless there were other issues on how the heads were installed. Just my 2 cents. Hope all works out for the best!

Dan.     
That big port on that engine might not run so well at lower engine rpm. You should pressure test the block before you fire it up.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Hemi Runner on January 11, 2015, 08:41:10 AM
That big port on that engine might not run so well at lower engine rpm. You should pressure test the block before you fire it up.

The heads were coolant pressure tested at the machine shop and after the heads were installed, all 8 cylinders were pressure tested for leak-down. All past with flying colors...

Troy

TUFCAT

I like the engine dolly...can you tell me where that came from?  If it was hand built can you show pictures (less engine on it)?  I'd like to get some ideas.

mopar4ya

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 11, 2015, 09:01:39 AM
Quote from: Hemi Runner on January 11, 2015, 08:41:10 AM

The heads were coolant pressure tested at the machine shop and after the heads were installed, all 8 cylinders were pressure tested for leak-down. All past with flying colors...

Just me, but there is no way I would go through all the work putting the engine back in without pressurizing the COOLANT system first. A cylinder leak down test probably wouldn't show coolant going in to the oil. Good luck, and hope everything works out for you.

Dan.

69_Charger_RT

Troy where did you lift the front end from?   Front frame rail with some straps? Can't tell from pics 

Cars looking great - almost done  :2thumbs: