News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Operation V2 Daytona: Update 01/10/2015 Engine reinstallation

Started by hemi68charger, November 10, 2014, 07:50:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: 69_Charger_RT on January 11, 2015, 03:56:20 PM
Troy where did you lift the front end from?   Front frame rail with some straps? Can't tell from pics 

Cars looking great - almost done  :2thumbs:

Chris..
Yeap, some straps with hooked ends that fit perfectly in a hole just in front of the forward k-member attach point on the frame rail. Can't do it the traditional way with that nose up front...

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Hemi Runner

Quote from: mopar4ya on January 11, 2015, 01:33:55 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on January 11, 2015, 09:01:39 AM
Quote from: Hemi Runner on January 11, 2015, 08:41:10 AM
That big port on that engine might not run so well at lower engine rpm. You should pressure test the block before you fire it up.

The heads were coolant pressure tested at the machine shop and after the heads were installed, all 8 cylinders were pressure tested for leak-down. All past with flying colors...

Just me, but there is no way I would go through all the work putting the engine back in without pressurizing the COOLANT system first. A cylinder leak down test probably wouldn't show coolant going in to the oil. Good luck, and hope everything works out for you.

Dan.
That's what I meant as well. All you would have to do is bolt some blocks over the two water pump holes on each side, one with a tire valve stem in it and the other with a pressure gauge. Put some pressure on it and make sure there's no internal leaks from the cooling system to the valley or crankcase. 15 or 20 psi and make sure it holds for a while and you're good to go. I have a buddy who bought a new aftermarket block and it had an casting defect and it filled the pan with water when they filled the radiator.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

gymratt30

good Job Troy! :cheers:
about to to exactly that with the Karl Gould car. ( second time)lol 
Im going to use the ramps at the back this time.. thanks for posting.
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

hemi68charger

Quote from: gymratt30 on January 12, 2015, 11:57:47 AM
...Im going to use the ramps at the back this time.. thanks for posting.

Mike,
Just make sure your parking brake is applied nice and firm............  :2thumbs:

Also, if you're making a dolly (if you don't have one yet), make sure the casters enable the dolly to be as low as possible (but high enough to maybe get a floor-jack under it)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

70Sbird

Quote from: gymratt30 on January 12, 2015, 11:57:47 AM
good Job Troy! :cheers:
about to to exactly that with the Karl Gould car. ( second time)lol  
Im going to use the ramps at the back this time.. thanks for posting.

Mike,
I used ramps the second time I swapped engines in a wing car and they made the process much easier by increasing the overall height of the body. An as Troy said...be sure the e-brake is set!
:2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Scott Faulkner

69_Charger_RT

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 11, 2015, 04:42:34 PM
Quote from: 69_Charger_RT on January 11, 2015, 03:56:20 PM
Troy where did you lift the front end from?   Front frame rail with some straps? Can't tell from pics  

Cars looking great - almost done  :2thumbs:

Chris..
Yeap, some straps with hooked ends that fit perfectly in a hole just in front of the forward k-member attach point on the frame rail. Can't do it the traditional way with that nose up front...

Thanks Troy - I always forget my sn is different on this forum.  On the cudachallenger, fbbo, febo, and moparts its Falbz.  Maybe I should pm a moderator and have it changed.   :scratchchin: I just bought my charger first and then like all of us keep adding to the collection  :eek2:

Anyways I was curious as I do not have a wing car YET  :cheers:  hopefully you are enjoying the TA until your Bird project pops up.

-Jordan