News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

'68 Starlet : greeting from France !

Started by JPM, November 16, 2014, 03:16:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JPM

Hi everybody,
My name is Jean-Paul Milhe, I'm 47 years old and I am French.
I own a 68 Charger that is the one who was showed at the Dodge area of the Salon de l'Automobile of Bruxelles in 68, introducing the model to Europe.
That explains how it is configurated, 318ci V8, automatic trans, power disk brakes, power steering, white bucket seats with center console, woodgrain wheel and a rare optional sunroof that has been badly removed by a precedent owner (the same that put non period perfect rallye wheels on it).

I'm looking for pictures of this car at the Salon de l'Auto in Belgium in 68, this is why my friend Sébastien (the french Daytona project) told me about this forum.

Here is some pictures from the first day I picked it up to my old speed shop, Bullit Racing (my associate was a fan of Mustang). It was in 2002.

In rust, I trust...

XS29L9B2

great car for a good guy  :cheers:
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

JPM

In rust, I trust...

XS29L9B2

it s very difficult to write for me

JPM

Quote from: XS29L9B2 on November 16, 2014, 03:26:11 AM
it s very difficult to write for me

It doesn't matter, eveyone can understand whith a little effort...  ;)
In rust, I trust...

charger Downunder

Wow a 68 sunroof car. Do you have the fender tag. Welcome :2thumbs:
[/quote]

moparnation74

Interesting story and ride.  What is the story on the white coronet?

Ghoste

XS29L9B2

welcom to this so cool groupe

six-tee-nine

Hello and welcome.
I am one of the few guys here that lives on your side of the atlantic.

I did'nt even know the Charger was offered over here. I know that there are export codes and that there is a original 1970 Charger 500 sold to the Netherlands. But I never figured you could order the Charger over here at a dealership back in the days.

It does make sense tough since there were no European Cryco models around back then You find alot of slant 6 valiants over here.
These days we see Lancia Voyagers on our roads and rebadged Chrysler 300's. Probably the best Lancia's on the road ever, since they could'nt seem to engineer a decent car themselves.

Anyway, great story on the car and probably one of the few original import coded cars still around
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

JPM

Quote from: charger Downunder on November 16, 2014, 07:05:43 AM
Wow a 68 sunroof car. Do you have the fender tag. Welcome :2thumbs:

Sure I have !

X - stands for the Charger model line
P- Premium Price class. These are the baseline Chargers
29 - 2 door sports hardtop (fastback Barracuda, Charger or Challenger SE)

41 - 318 2-bbl

5 - 3-speed automatic (most applications)

44 - F70x14 redlines steel belted

112 - january 12, 1968.

5 = drip rail moldings
0 = body belt moldings
8 = wheel lip moldings

A - 4 = 3.23 ratio
X - blank = non sure grip (single spin)

C - Charger
6 - vinyl bucket seats
D - white & green

F - Light Green Metallic (roof)
F - Light Green Metallic  (body)
1 - monotone paint

UBS : W - ???

9 = front disc brakes
1 = power brakes
8 = rear window defogger
1 = AM radio
7 = tachometer

a : 6 = console
b : 4 = bucket seats
m : 6 = driver's outside remote operated mirror
w : 7 = build to spec's for Export

In rust, I trust...

Brock Samson

moparnation74

Do you have a build sheet?

six-tee-nine

Cool, the tag below the fender tag shows the Vin # make and model and build date in Dutch. I recon these plates from alot of cars from back in the days. That could mean this particular 68 was put into traffic in Belgium probably trough a dealeship.

The 318 makes sence, they wanted to show the car on display so a 6 cilinder was a no go but a V8 with a large displacement would be also a no go sice the majority of Europe only drove 1200cc Volkswagen Beetles back then

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

XS29L9B2

jww426

JWWIV

charger Downunder

You should see if you can find some original pics of your car at the motor show.
[/quote]

Homerr

Quote from: JPM on November 17, 2014, 10:54:27 AM

QuoteContinuing to the right, there is a grouping of letters "UBS". The "U" is for upper interior door color, "B" for buffed paint and "S" for the stripe or accent color.

http://www.drivinithome.com/mopar-fender-tag-decoding/

So a white upper door frame.

6bblgt

Very interesting!!
Do you know the dates of the Salon de l'Automobile of Bruxelles?  I wonder if the location of the sunroof is forward compared to the factory '69-'70 versions - can you share the dimensions & position of the movable panel?

Can you share the full VIN - XP29F8B257xxx? or is it earlier?

WOW!! It would've been stunning when new.  :2thumbs:

& it would appear at least 3 sunroof '68 Chargers "factory" built  :scratchchin: 4-speed w/o console, CAR (center arm rest), auto w/console

JPM

Quote from: six-tee-nine on November 17, 2014, 02:06:41 PM
Cool, the tag below the fender tag shows the Vin # make and model and build date in Dutch. I recon these plates from alot of cars from back in the days. That could mean this particular 68 was put into traffic in Belgium probably trough a dealeship.

The 318 makes sence, they wanted to show the car on display so a 6 cilinder was a no go but a V8 with a large displacement would be also a no go sice the majority of Europe only drove 1200cc Volkswagen Beetles back then

In 68, some Mustang were assembled in Holland too, in reply to the high demand. They weared special fender tags too, that were screwed on the right inner front fender.
And the Shelbys were sold by Claude Dubois in Belgium, the unique official dealer for Europe.
In rust, I trust...

kokxville

Very cool story  :2thumbs:
I know that some e-body cars were build back in the day at the Chrysler plant in Rotterdam,but this is new for me. :cheers:
1969 Charger R/T 4 speed A33 Track Pack.
1967 Dodge a108 360 Magnum. Daily driver
1969 Dodge Charger"the car you can take your kids in to school on a friday,go shopping on a saturday,dragrace on a sunday and go to work on monday"

JPM

Quote from: Homerr on November 17, 2014, 11:46:14 PM
Quote from: JPM on November 17, 2014, 10:54:27 AM

QuoteContinuing to the right, there is a grouping of letters "UBS". The "U" is for upper interior door color, "B" for buffed paint and "S" for the stripe or accent color.

http://www.drivinithome.com/mopar-fender-tag-decoding/

So a white upper door frame.

"Continuing to the right, there is a grouping of letters "UBS". The "U" is for upper interior door color, "B" for buffed paint and "S" for the stripe or accent color. "

Thanks !  :2thumbs:
In rust, I trust...

Cncguy

You will never see body lines that sharp on a restored charger. I think it's how thick we make the paint that rounds them up

JPM

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 18, 2014, 02:44:44 AM
Very interesting!!
... I wonder if the location of the sunroof is forward compared to the factory '69-'70 versions - can you share the dimensions & position of the movable panel?

How I explained in my first message, the sunroof has been removed by the precedent owner : a flat sheet of metal, too much welding and he ruined all the roof...  :RantExplode:
I didn't got the parts to repair and the sunroof was not a priority for me... So, I started to repair it with a '71 Mach One Mustang insert (the new roof panel was not available in 2002)
I will buy a new roof in the future, and will repair mine in the rules of the art (it's one of my businesses)...

In rust, I trust...

Dino

Hmmm showing that big hole I wonder what it would look like to have one of those full length tinted glass roofs in there like Mercedes and the likes.

I grew up in Belgium and never knew Chargers were sold over there.  My dad had an old Plymouth before I was born though.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

twodko

FLY NAVY/Marine Corps or take the bus!

JPM

Quote from: twodko on November 22, 2014, 05:33:34 PM
Welcome mon ami!

Merci my friend !

Some pictures of the work which I realized on the car before selling my parts of the shop...

Today, after sandblast :

In rust, I trust...

XS29L9B2

nice topic i love 68 charger too hum hum in few year why not lol

JPM

The engine my associate assembled : a 318ci turned into 323ci, flat pistons, balanced crankshaft, funny but reasonnable camshaft, Edelbrock aluminium intake manifold, 4 BBL carb, 4 in 1 exhaust pipes... 326HP@4600rpm.
In the future, I'll probably drop a modern Hemi under the hood, with his automatic trans, an IFS and a 9' Ford rearend on a four links kit...

In rust, I trust...

tan top

not sure how I missed this thread  :slap:  ,

Hello & welcome  JPM  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: 

looking good  :yesnod:   :2thumbs: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

JPM

Quote from: tan top on November 26, 2014, 08:08:35 AM
not sure how I missed this thread  :slap:  ,

... that's why I completed the name of this thread recently !  ;)
In rust, I trust...

Type14

Salut ! and Welcome..... Je pensais presque être le seul Français !

Type14

patcharger

Mais pas le seule qui parle français lol!!
69 charger G-Lee

bill440rt

Wow, cool '68! I thought sunroof '68's were also quite scarce, but had no idea one could have been built that early in the model year.
If it truly is only 1 of 3 known to exist, personally I'd be tempted to leave it as stock/correct as possible.   :yesnod:  :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

JPM

Quote from: Type14 on November 27, 2014, 03:34:11 PM
Salut ! and Welcome..... Je pensais presque être le seul Français !

Type14

Quote from: patcharger on November 27, 2014, 04:17:46 PM
Mais pas le seule qui parle français lol!!

Bon sang, mais c'est les Champs Élysées ici ! Vous êtes d'où ?

Quote from: bill440rt on November 27, 2014, 04:28:27 PM
Wow, cool '68! I thought sunroof '68's were also quite scarce, but had no idea one could have been built that early in the model year.
If it truly is only 1 of 3 known to exist, personally I'd be tempted to leave it as stock/correct as possible.   :yesnod:  :2thumbs:

How I already said, I didn't got anything that could allow me to repair the roof : the sunroof and its frame were removed and a flat métal insert has been welded in place...
Chargers were very rare here in France in these years and I had to wait for 5 years to trade this one with my 66 Custom Cab F100...
Personaly, I hate this light green metallic and weight is my enemy, so the car will not be rebuilt in its original shape...  :rotz:
In rust, I trust...

patcharger

Très bon forum JPM j'ai trouver b.c de réponse à mes question je suis du Québec ,beau projet lâche pas!!
69 charger G-Lee

kanadanmajava

Quote from: JPM on November 28, 2014, 01:57:08 AM
How I already said, I didn't got anything that could allow me to repair the roof : the sunroof and its frame were removed and a flat métal insert has been welded in place...
Chargers were very rare here in France in these years and I had to wait for 5 years to trade this one with my 66 Custom Cab F100...
Personaly, I hate this light green metallic and weight is my enemy, so the car will not be rebuilt in its original shape...  :rotz:

I do like that shade of green. Usually I'm trying to find green cars but end up having red ones (which I dislike the most as a car color).

JPM

Quote from: patcharger on November 28, 2014, 10:28:20 AM
... beau projet lâche pas!!

Même si c'est un peu raide en ce moment, lâcher, c'est pas le genre de la maison...  :icon_smile_wink:
In rust, I trust...

XS29L9B2

patcharger

69 charger G-Lee

JPM

I will need a lot of parts to complete the work done on my car : what are your favorite dealers ?  :scratchchin:
In rust, I trust...

500Jon

Hi JPM,

Bonjour mon ami.

Plenty of Chargers and parts in the UK too.
Good work on the 68 Showcar!

I would redo the ROOFSKIN with a new one from AMD.

Best wishes from 500Jon
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

MxRacer855

Cool car! I've NEVER heard of a sunroof on one of these until now...

JPM

Quote from: 500Jon on December 07, 2014, 06:37:01 AM
... I would redo the ROOFSKIN with a new one from AMD.

What is AMD ? A part dealer ?
What do you think about suppliers like Jim's Auto Parts or Year One ?  :scratchchin:
In rust, I trust...

JB400

AMD is the manufacturer of stamped sheet metal products for our cars, as well as others.

six-tee-nine

I bought AMD sheetmetal trough Tamraz' on ebay. Prices were OK, shipping was UPS and affordable compared to others.
If you need real large stuff like a roof prices are insane for international shipping.
Last I got a quote of over $500 for a box that would fit in the trunk of my daily.....

If you want to buy local (I mean our side of the atlantic) then go to :

http://www.moparshop.de/
http://www.six-packspeedshop.nl/
http://www.pedalttmetal.nl/

All of the above guys are familiar with Mopar and know their stuff.

6bblgt

Jim's Auto Parts: 3 letters in JIM = BAD & best advice, stay away!
Year One: expensive shipping, most parts can be had elsewhere - but solid reputation for actually getting what you pay for.

XS29L9B2

ACUDANUT

Welcome  :cheers:
Salute
Keep your Women away from Horn Dog lol

chamagne

hello, i'm Bruno i'm french guy,I am 57 years old
I took over JP's project a few months ago, after his accidental death, it was a friend.
I hope to finish this car in the best conditions.
I would need your help to find a sunroof as its origin,and probably need more advice

please excuse my english

Lennard

Welcome Bruno,  I'm sorry to hear about your friend. May he rest in peace.

XS29L9B2

Quote from: chamagne on November 16, 2018, 07:20:13 AM
hello, i'm Bruno i'm french guy,I am 57 years old
I took over JP's project a few months ago, after his accidental death, it was a friend.
I hope to finish this car in the best conditions.
I would need your help to find a sunroof as its origin,and probably need more advice

please excuse my english

Very well english Bruno. Perfect to fine you hère, this is a very good project

ACUDANUT

JP BABY FACE SCARED ME.  What happened to him ?

chamagne

hello

rupture of aneurysm(I am not sure of the translation of the term medical), he was found at home more days after, 10 -15 days information to the rescue.
I was very affected by this news, to die alone it must be terrible...

I must restore this task in the rules of art in his memory

but let's stop crying, he will not like that  :angel:

I'm counting on you all the forum to help me in this reconstruction

chamagne

in first i'm cherche a sunroof, to restore it to the original configuration

the patches on the front are done, I found an original roof that I must refold and the bottom of the trunk must be replaced

XS29L9B2

chamagne

I want to know if roof sky whales are the same for models with sunroof and hardtop

Lennard

Quote from: chamagne on January 10, 2019, 07:24:47 AM

I want to know if roof sky whales are the same for models with sunroof and hardtop
Say what?  You mean roof skin? The aftermarket AMD roof skins for second generation Chargers are all the same.

nvrbdn

Welcome to the group Bruno. Sorry to hear of your friend. Good of you to take on the build. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

djcarguy

DAY CLONA ,    a member here,   DAY CLONA -   had a stash or supplyer for sunroofs some time back. best too PM him here?  he is the guy that did the watermelon Daytona an the 3rd gen wingcars.look up G series wingcars,they installed sunroof in lots of his builds.   :2thumbs:

not big fan of green, but sounds like this car needs to be green with the sunroof .Very  sorry to hear about JP. all the best on finding parts and the rebuild.DJ     :popcrn:    :2thumbs:

69rtse4spd

Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. I am sure he his smiling watching you from above.

chamagne

Quote from: Lennard on January 10, 2019, 08:08:38 AM

Say what?  You mean roof skin? The aftermarket AMD roof skins for second generation Chargers are all the same.

no the headliner bow

Lennard

Quote from: chamagne on January 11, 2019, 07:18:18 AM
Quote from: Lennard on January 10, 2019, 08:08:38 AM

no the headliner bow

I don't know the answer to that.

Homerr

Hi Bruno, sorry to hear about the passing of JPM. 

I have taken the liberty to add the Charger to the registry in my signature.

djcarguy

Quote from: djcarguy on January 10, 2019, 08:27:02 PM
DAY CLONA ,    a member here,   DAY CLONA -   had a stash or supplyer for sunroofs some time back. best too PM him here?  he is the guy that did the watermelon Daytona an the 3rd gen wingcars.look up G series wingcars,they installed sunroof in lots of his builds.   :2thumbs:

not big fan of green, but sounds like this car needs to be green with the sunroof .Very  sorry to hear about JP. all the best on finding parts and the rebuild.DJ     :popcrn:    :2thumbs:

chamagne

I sent an email to DAY CLONA, ​​but no answer   :'(

chamagne

Quote from: Homerr on January 12, 2019, 02:19:50 PM
Hi Bruno, sorry to hear about the passing of JPM. 

I have taken the liberty to add the Charger to the registry in my signature.

OK you are right

chamagne

Quote from: chamagne on January 15, 2019, 05:00:55 AM

I sent an email to DAY CLONA, ​​but no answer   :'(

Someone could help me to contact  DAY CLONA

Kern Dog

I think there is a problem in the language translation.

chamagne

I know, I would have to work better in school

XS29L9B2

chamagne

after research, the sunroof from american sunroof corp was mounted on other brands than chrysler. can you confirm?

the model is rare enough to restore it as originally..

I'm looking everywhere, I've already found a photo in Belgium

djcarguy

PM  personal message DAY CLONA HERE  on site.. he mostly post in the aero secsion here.

might check web for Wildcat mopar parts an projects  ,, in sandy Oregon.  . they had 3 sunroof project cars awhile back ,for sale??

place a wanted add here an mopar sites for a sunroof ??    :2thumbs:

XS29L9B2

djcarguy

I sent a PM to DAY CLONA 2 1/2 days ago ,bout thread and your member name an sunroof car need. good luck finding your sunroof an the build.

:popcrn:  : :popcrn:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:   Dj very west usa    :cheers:

chamagne

Quote from: djcarguy on February 04, 2019, 10:50:02 PM
I sent a PM to DAY CLONA 2 1/2 days ago ,bout thread and your member name an sunroof car need. good luck finding your sunroof an the build.

:popcrn:  : :popcrn:  :2thumbs:  :2thumbs:   Dj very west usa    :cheers:

thank you very much