News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedometer needle bounces

Started by Dino, November 18, 2014, 08:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 SE3834V

Does the cable come out of the conduit? If so you should be able to clean and regrease the cable. I've done it on other cars.
I have some light weight grease for lubing the flex shaft in weedwackers I can bring out when we attack your camshaft if you want.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on December 02, 2014, 09:22:24 PM
Does the cable come out of the conduit? If so you should be able to clean and regrease the cable. I've done it on other cars.
I have some light weight grease for lubing the flex shaft in weedwackers I can bring out when we attack your camshaft if you want.

Thanks!  I think it comes out but I'm not positive, I'll have to check.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

71 SE3834V

It might only come out from the speedo end. I'm trying to remember but I thought I tried to pull mine out to regrease it when we pulled the trans and it seems like it wouldn't come out from the trans end.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

A383Wing

they will only come out the speedo end, there is a shoulder on it to prevent it going out the bottom of cable

71 SE3834V

Yeah I was thinking that's the way it was. I know Dino is just salivating at pulling his cluster out again.  :icon_smile_blackeye:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

Dino

Oh don't remind me.   :lol:

I have a tic toc tach on my bench I need to upgrade with newer guts.  I'm not pulling the cluster until that one is ready to go in.  And maybe I can calibrate the oil gauge while I'm at it.

fy469rtse

Dino ,
yes i have pulled cluster out many times also, helps to undo and let hang steering column at the end of bolts on mount  :brickwall:
are you going to leave cluster out until new cable arrives ?
bettin thats what it is

Dino

First thing I do in preparation of cluster removal is pop the steering wheel off and remove the column bolts at the dash and firewall.  The more room I have the better. If I need to do more work in that area I also remove the turn signal lever.

I need to do the tic toc tach mod first so I'll try to find a suitable donor tach over the winter to get this done and I'll post a how to like the volt meter thread.  I'll order the dual cruise control cables and will then remove the cluster to install both at once.  I'll also have to do something with the oil pressure gauge as it's reading too low.

When I ran the 8 gauge power wire through the firewall I used the cruise control dimple so I'll have to find a new spot for it.  I am not however, under any circumstance, removing that bulkhead connector again.   :lol:

fy469rtse

Yep , bit of use the grease freed up , re lube the the cable,
If you pull it out , don't forget the small inner o ring inside speedo drive gear held in by small circlip at trans end ,
Replace that when you do cable Dino  :2thumbs:

b5blue

I just pulled the cluster on my 70 by loosening the bolts on the column floor plate, then lowering the steering column by backing the 3 nuts down to the very end of the bolts. (Radio plate is off but steering wheel and blinker stalk on.) Unhook the speedo/lights/harness connections and I had just enough clearance.  :scratchchin:   

remta1

hmm mine bounces round like a Geiger counter and when I stop the needle is stuck at 40  :shruggy:

A383Wing

Quote from: remta1 on December 23, 2014, 03:53:44 AM
hmm mine bounces round like a Geiger counter and when I stop the needle is stuck at 40  :shruggy:

you need a new speedometer head

remta1

Quote from: A383Wing on December 23, 2014, 04:28:56 PM
Quote from: remta1 on December 23, 2014, 03:53:44 AM

you need a new speedometer head

this means I will have to take the cluster out of the dash ?? do you know where can I buy the speedometer head.Or do I just get aftermarket electric speedo/ gauges and rewire those  :shruggy: :cheers:

XH29N0G

I am not sure about getting just the speedo head, but a replacement speedo can be bought from various places (they are expensive in my opinion, but I did it).  Other places like redline gauges can repair them or convert them.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

remta1

seriously thinking that I will just get an aftermarket speedometer (don't want to take the dash apart again ) .I was looking at the Dakota style ones but don't know what I have to buy to make it work with my transmission ,they have some sort of plug -in pulse meter thingy ,how does this work.I like the idea of them being able to program current mileage as that may be an issue for me here in New Zealand when I am trying to get her legal for the road.

Any other manufacturers that offer a similar thing  :shruggy:

b5blue

Keep in mind with 40 plus year old cars terms like "I don't want to" don't always pan out!  :lol: I didn't want to do a bunch of things, the Charger had other plans. Installing the 2 NON stock items, an aftermarket shifter and stereo both turned into major pains in the butt! 

Bob T

Quote from: remta1 on December 28, 2014, 05:24:28 AM
seriously thinking that I will just get an aftermarket speedometer (don't want to take the dash apart again ) .I was looking at the Dakota style ones but don't know what I have to buy to make it work with my transmission ,they have some sort of plug -in pulse meter thingy ,how does this work.I like the idea of them being able to program current mileage as that may be an issue for me here in New Zealand when I am trying to get her legal for the road.

Gidday Remta, try contacting Robinson Instruments in Auckland, I think they do kits for conversion and different digital pickups for hotrodders and the like. They rebuilt the bellow diaphram on my old classic race boat years ago , did ok for the money.
I've been away for a while, any progress on your wing?
Sorry for the hijack Dino.
Old Dog, Old Tricks.

remta1

Quote from: Bob T on December 28, 2014, 06:51:17 PM
Quote from: remta1 on December 28, 2014, 05:24:28 AM

Gidday Remta, try contacting Robinson Instruments in Auckland, I think they do kits for conversion and different digital pickups for hotrodders and the like. They rebuilt the bellow diaphram on my old classic race boat years ago , did ok for the money.
I've been away for a while, any progress on your wing?
Sorry for the hijack Dino.

Sorry to hijack ,lost your cell number ...Pm and we can catch up  :cheers: just going thru everything to try and get complied while I am on holiday  this is one of my issues , I will give these guys a call , cheers Kelvin