News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tech Archives: How to Vinyl Dye/Paint your Dash

Started by PocketThunder, March 23, 2006, 01:46:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PocketThunder

So i called napa and they have vinly paint but not vinyl dye.  Is vinly paint any good or is it gonna rub off right away? 

What is the application for vinly dye?  do i just clean the pads really good and spray it on?

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

phat69charger

From what I understand it's dye mixed with the paint that bonds with the vinyl, so it's basically the same thing it seems it's just known by two names.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Paul, I have had great results with SEM vinyl paint  www.semproducts.com

You can get it at any good autobody supply store.

Be sure to get the correct prep spray as well.  They have for vinyl as well as plastic
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

jaak

:iagree: Sem is the best, you can get it in spraybombs or pre-mixed quarts for spray guns. I have used both, the spraybombs work good, but they are usually about 12 bucks a can, as far as a quart I can't remember its been so long. Just stay away from the cheap shit at wal mart, auto zone, etc. I used that on some truck pieces one time, they looked good but it all peeled off in a few months, even with great prep work.

good luck,
Jason

JimShine

I swear by SEM. Here is a good tip. After spraying with the prep spray, lay the first coat ultra dry. Make it so you only get a fine powder like coating over the entire surface. It will block out only maybe 30% of the stock color. On the second pass bump it up to a slightly heavier coat. After this pass it should be about 70% colored. Allow a hour to dry. Then hit it with normal coats. This process will help eliminate the chance of fisheye the prep materials didn't take care of.

PocketThunder

Ok i found SEM at my local paint supply store, i'll run in at lunch time and pick some up. 

Is the correct color for my 68 white interior a Pearl White?  or Gloss White? 

And what sheen is the dash pad supposed to be flat black?  or satin black?

thanks

Paul
in St. Paul
"Liberalism is a disease that attacks one's ability to understand logic. Extreme manifestations include the willingness to continue down a path of self destruction, based solely on a delusional belief in a failed ideology."

Just 6T9 CHGR

I used Satin Black on miy black interior parts (dash pads, armrests)......Landau Black is a good match as well....same as the Satin Black IMHO
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I believe for 68, a pearl white is correct.

PocketThunder

Here is my dash.  It turned out nice except for the crack i found right in front of the drivers view after i got it all done.. :flame:

Picture 1:  what i bought
Picture 2:  spray on the vinyl prep then wipe it off
Picture 3:  rinse with water

PocketThunder

Picture 4: spray on the color
Picture 5: wa-la!

bull

I bought the Landau black for my dash pad and other soft parts because someone (can't remember who now) said it was the closest match to original. Haven't used it yet. :-\

PocketThunder

Quote from: bull on March 29, 2006, 05:00:08 AM
I bought the Landau black for my dash pad and other soft parts because someone (can't remember who now) said it was the closest match to original. Haven't used it yet. :-\

Could it have been this guy?

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 24, 2006, 06:34:45 PM
I used Satin Black on miy black interior parts (dash pads, armrests)......Landau Black is a good match as well....same as the Satin Black IMHO

bull

Quote from: PocketThunder on March 29, 2006, 09:04:07 AM
Quote from: bull on March 29, 2006, 05:00:08 AM

Could it have been this guy?

Quote from: Just 6T9_CHGR.... on March 24, 2006, 06:34:45 PM

Maybe, but I'm telling you, when I forget something I really forget it. It's just gone.

Just 6T9 CHGR

mmmmm.....could be!!

Looks really nice Paul........a southpaw I see? :scope:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

PocketThunder

Here is a pics of the upper door pads getting white over black.  i put 4 coats on tonight and it still bleed thru a little bit.  i'll give er some more tomorrow night.  but i think the sema gloss white isnt going to match the pearl white door panels that i bought from PUI.  i might have to buy plain white and see if that matches better.

Second pic:  the roof is por-15'd.

c5_nc

SEM is great with the right prep work.  Using Saddle interior dye now.  There black trim (intended for exterior) looks to be around 25-30% gloss is great for any of the hard materials you need black inside.  Our Napa carries, but eastwood has pretty good prices and very cheap shipping.  Thin coats.

hemi68charger

I just emailed SEM Paul to see if they have the proper Pearl White......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

I just got off the phone with a SEM representative.. They DO NOT have the paint code for the pearl white.. I'm going to send then a small section of the NOS pearl white upper bolster I have so they can make a color match.. Maybe I'll get a free quart?...  ;D

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

PocketThunder

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 03, 2007, 06:06:44 PM
I just got off the phone with a SEM representative.. They DO NOT have the paint code for the pearl white.. I'm going to send then a small section of the NOS pearl white upper bolster I have so they can make a color match.. Maybe I'll get a free quart?...  ;D

Troy

Troy, any follow up on this?  Your PM box is full btw.  :scratchchin:

Paul
in St. Paul

DC_1

I know this is a really old thread but I am in need of some pearl white dye and I don't see any listed on SEM web site. Did they ever come up with a formula for this?

200MPH

i used Mopaints years ago it worked prettty good, the guy i sold the car too still the dash pad i painted in it
Charger

68blue

I am painting the pearl white as well but taking a different approach by using white first then topcoating with pearl. Will post pics when I am done.

The old rotocast PVC parts you find in cars really just need a PVC based paint with no prep other than cleaning. This was how they were origionally made, the topcoat being sometimes refered to as a "slip finish" as the vinyl had a sticky feel straight from the mold.

There is an older post of my dash and pieces here using the same type of finish as I could find nothing to match cobalt blue very well.

DC_1

Quote from: 68blue on July 28, 2010, 08:23:12 AM

I am painting the pearl white as well but taking a different approach by using white first then topcoating with pearl. Will post pics when I am done.

The old rotocast PVC parts you find in cars really just need a PVC based paint with no prep other than cleaning. This was how they were origionally made, the topcoat being sometimes refered to as a "slip finish" as the vinyl had a sticky feel straight from the mold.

There is an older post of my dash and pieces here using the same type of finish as I could find nothing to match cobalt blue very well.

Well definitely post some pics of how this method turns out for you. I contacted SEM and they have no formulation for the pearl white and suggested I find one of their dealer local that could try to color match admix the color for me

barnfindcuda

i have dyed alot of parts over the years, someone gave the advice earlier to lay on thin layers of dye, great advice , if you lay to much dye on at any point the surface dries first and creates a layer that will later peel. i have found that if you lay thin layers on until it is covered you get the best overall adheasion and durability. when i figure a part has been completly covered i lay one last light coat for coverage insurance, SEM is definatly the best , this is how i prep, if you can do the following steps it works great. pre cleano, wash the part with a soft nylon brush and light detergent water, dry thouroughly, blow off and leave overnight, if you are under time constraint, dont wash with brush detergent,pre clean again, use sem adheasion prep and start dying. if there is any contamination on the surface ismay not adhear and if it is put on to heavy it will peel. i learned all this stuff the hard way. i hope this helps; may seem like alot of steps but i have seen some parts with alot of armor all ,  that stuffs screws everything up