News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

trying to help a mopar friend

Started by nvrbdn, November 25, 2014, 07:26:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

awesome. :2thumbs:

I know we will need to do door panels. I will get with steve and see what else we will need on the interior. I will also take pic's of the pieces we have and get ideas. thanks for your offer. that may be the icing on the cake.

as for the weather, it looks like the t.v. is reporting that the high school is again closing due to weather tomorrow. so last chance to get it to go this week will be if we can get ahold of the instructor and he says to bring it on in Friday.  fingers really crossed now. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

bakerhillpins

Just caught this thread. So nice to see everyone pulling together to help out. If I was in your area I would be there supplying what ever manual labor or time I could.   :cheers:

Good friend you are nvrbdn!  :yesnod:
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

nvrbdn

Today's update is this:  41HUSK called and finally was able to talk to Mr. Hill. The car needs to be delivered between 8-10 any day. Well, that knocked today out of the equation.  Talked to Steve and he is good with it all. We may try for next Thursday morning if 67Bird still wants to go with us to deliver it. Steve offered that we could load the car on the trailer Wed. afternoon and then just drive one of their cars home so we wouldn't have to load it in the morning. He said his future son in law has been over getting the car ready for the trip. I will see if my boss will let me show up late on Thursday and work late so I don't have to call off a day. She has been pretty good to me, so I'm sure it will all be good. Any way, we are still looking good and staying focused.

:2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

ok guys we have a date. we are delivering the car Friday morning at 8. Mr hill was going to be at a meeting Thursday morning, and Allen and I agree that we really want to meet Mr. Hill and be able to talk with him. so Friday is it. I will make sure I have my camera for the day. David (67bird) is going to meet us at Steve's house to take the car in. so with Allen (41husk) there, we will have 3 DC.COM members. :yesnod:

Thanks everyone for your interest. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

the car is on the trailer. we loaded it up this afternoon. my step kid met me at steve's house and aided in the loading. plus steve's future son in law was there to help. we will meet back there in the morning to deliver the car to the school. steve is very excited with everything. I'm just thrilled that its all coming together. I will have the camera with me tomorrow. plus the weather is a bit nicer, so it should be a great day. :cheers:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

41husk

The eagle has landed!  The 37 Plymouth was delivered this morning.  It was nice to see Steve again it has been a few years.  It was nice to meet Dave (67bird) and it is always nice to see Jim.
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

nvrbdn

it was fun bringing the car in to the school and meeting Mr. Hill. a great morning. David (67bird) was at Steve's when I got there. car was ready to go.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

we arrived at the school where Allen had the door open for us to aim at. David, Allen and Steve inside the garage.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

and the final pic is Mr. Hill on the right, David, Steve and Allen. and it begins. lucky for us, as we were loading the car last night, the UPS guy pulls up and delivers the electric lift kit for the trunk.  :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

nvrbdn

ok guys, I have a little update. steve emailed me saying that he had to run by the school to grab the plates from the car. when there he said the car was up on jacks with the wheels off and parts taken off. the front was off the car. get this, one of the kids working on the car has a dad that owns a body shop. they took the front of the car off and took it to his shop to remove a dent so the grill will fit better. steve was so excited about the progress going on when they have only had the car to work on 3 days class time.  how cool.

next my son called me with my contact info for NAPA after one of the owners said they would get involved. so I made the call and we talked. I was telling him who told me to get ahold of him, then told him the story of the car. when I told him the high school jumped all in, he said and we are jumping all in for everything else. we like to do this. you tell mr. hill to call me and we will set up how to take care of whatever he needs.

this is what the world needs. thank you granite city high school, mr. hill, and napa.

tsmithae: the seats are awesome. we will need to do all the door panels and flooring. plus anything on the dash and trunk area if we want panels in there. steve has the door blanks that you use. I will try to get pic's and measurements some time. let me know what you need, or make a road trip sometime. :icon_smile_big:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

nvrbdn

here is the one pic of the interior I have. enlarged it a bit so it will be a little fuzzy. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tsmithae

Wow! I'm glad to hear this is working out so nicely!

nvrbdn

talked to Steve. we are happy with the progress going on with the car. its very exciting. Steve sent me an email, and in it he was describing his disease. this was his description so I can have it right.

The disease they think I have is a benign form of Lou Gehrig's disease (ALS) it's called PLS. Primary Lateral Sclerosis is a slow progressive disease. Lou Gehrig's disease you pass away usually 5-7 yrs . The way they tell if you have PLS instead of Lou Gehrig's you live longer then 7yrs and show no muscle atrophy. I've had this going on 12yrs. I hope to have it 20 more. I can tell you a whole lot more about it but I don't like to. I want to talk about my Plymouth.

Thanks Steve for explaining this. and now, back to what's important, that awesome Plymouth. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

37 slantback

Hi everyone, this is Tammy, Steve's wife. I want to let you know how much I appreciate what you all are doing for Steve. I am truly touched by all of the compassion, hard work and support you all are giving to Steve.  It has been hard watching him struggle with the car and realizing that he is too physically limited to do the work that he enjoys so much.  This disease has taken so much from him, so THANK YOU, for stepping in so he doesn't lose his car too. You are all amazing caring people and the world is a better place with all of you in it.

Steve is a strong amazing man, he has fought this disease every step of the way, thank you for giving him even more reasons to fight.  I look forward to him hitting some shows with you all.
I wish I had the right words to tell you all how much you have touched my heart and Steve's heart.........all I can do is thank you and thank God for you and ask his blessings for you all.

So God Bless each and everyone of you, and thanks from the deepest depths of my heart, Tammy

nvrbdn

Thanks for dropping by Tammy. And for the kind words. We all appreciate them. Love to see Steve smile over his car. :2thumbs:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

37 slantback

Hello my friends,

I've been trying to figure out how to thank all you guys for doing this for me, and I have no ideal but, it's been a huge shot in the arm. I was considering selling it because I haven't been able to work on it for over 2yrs. So when Jim emailed me about what he was trying to do. I couldn't believe it, it felt like a dream. Any way thank all of you for doing this for me. I hope to see you at car show!!!!!

I stopped in to drop off hood ornament and other junk they were putting the new gauges in, looking good

ACUDANUT

nvrbdn

awesome steve. now we will have to have you take pic's when you drop in so we can see the progress.  :cheers:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

37 slantback

Thanks ACUDANUT for offer

Next time I go to the school I'll take pictures

Thanks again

nvrbdn

well guys, we don't have any updates to talk about right now. I know that the guys at the school are doing quite a bit of work on steve's car. its nerve racking with anticipation. any word and I will let you know.

and we have snow now, so im wishing for better weather.  :brickwall:

on an exciting note, power tour comes right through here on Monday june 8th. I took the day off and will try to make all the arrangements with steve to maybe get the 37 Plymouth to gateway race track. so any members that take the ride can meet us at gateway.

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tsmithae

Good to hear progress is still moving forward, I'm excited to see this come through!

I'll be spectating the Champaign portion on the 7th.  Doubt I will be able to swing the 8th but I will try it anyway! 

nvrbdn

yea, I was trying to figure out if it would be cool to hit the Champaign - Urbana part of the show and cruising with the group to Madison/ Gateway motorsports park. still tossing that one around. :yesnod:
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

tsmithae

It would be cool to meet some more charger brothers, not sure if anyone else has thrown the idea around yet or not but it would be cool!

nvrbdn

Ok guys, right now I don't have a lot to report. With work and all I haven't been able to check things out. Steve told me that Tammy had to run the door panels to the school to do a fit test. When she got home he asked her about a million questions about the car which her answer was "I don't know, I didn't look at the car". I am sure they don't want people walking around the classroom area when we aren't teaching, or going to school there. So I can understand that she didn't have any answers for him. But as a car guy, I also understand that his baby is away from home and he can't see it. My thoughts and prayers are with Mr. Hill and the great students that are putting out the effort to get this car on the road. Thank you guys from the bottom of my heart.

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House