News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Finally got my dash back...... Years later !

Started by 440, November 27, 2014, 01:34:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Well, I finally got my dash back from the interior trimmers.

This has been a LONG drawn out process to the point where I became so disheartened that the car was pushed in the corner and technically forgotten about for a few years. The dash is really only part of the story but is the main thing that made me give up for a while.

I dropped off the soft dash pads to one of, if not the most reputable company in Australia. They aren't known for being quick, but since I was working on the dash frame, heater box, vents, parking brake assembly I wasn't too worried. I dropped the soft pads and other vinyl parts to get touched up and recolored on 5-24-11. They said 4-8 weeks, no worries. The job was finished on the 11-11-11.

The pads were originally in pretty good shape and didn't need a lot of work to begin with. They fiddled with the center pad a bit and upon reassembling the dash the center pad didn't fit well. I ended up taking the whole dash back for them to fix it. I got a call the other day to say it's done. I still think the center pad fit better before they fiddled with it, I think it still looks good and I'm just happy to have it back.

That coupled with the car sitting in the body shop for a year and a half with very little work done was enough for me to take it home and shove it in the corner.

The other day I lifted the car cover for the first time in quite a while and the rush of "I actually own a Dodge Charger" came flooding in.

I've collected most of the major expensive parts I need so hopefully getting the dash back is the push I need to start working on the car again.

myk

I'm glad that finally got sorted out for you.  On that note, body shops SUCK. Unfortunately most of us don't have a choice when it comes to that part of the process...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

Looks good in the photos, how long do you think it will take from this point?

I'm surprised you remembered Myk its been that long. There wasn't really anywhere else to go though so I was stuck. In hindsight I should have dyed the pads myself.

Ghoste - From this point I would say about 12 months to get into another body shop and about 10-15k-ish for bodywork/paint. I've got all the exterior bits restored and some interior bits ready to go on.

All I really need parts wise to finish the car is a headlight vacuum harness, ballast resistor, front half parking brake cable, lower front bumper cross brace and that's about it.

Dino

Hey bud good to see you again!  I was wondering when the Charger bug would bite you again and drag you over to this dump.   :lol:

The dash looks stunning, those pads are straighter than the factory put them on.   :2thumbs:

I worked in body shops for a very long time and it's no place for a project this size, they need collision cars for quick turn around.  If you can't find a resto shop then make it clear to the body shop owner that you need this done fast and that you'll be back to check on the work every few days.  If you don't chase them, they won't do the work but if you get them annoyed they'll finish the car to get rid of you.  Also be sure to talk to the guys doing the actual work.  Build a good relationship with them and they'll take care of your car.  A pizza and a few beers here and there will do wonders.   :icon_smile_big:

Stick around this time will ya?   :lol:

Oh hey, how's the Chevelle doing?
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Shakey

That dashboard assembly looks great!   :yesnod:

Here's to the next steps in the process - best of luck.   :cheers:

Hey Dino,
I should stay around this time. Getting the dash back and finally completing it (3 years after starting it ::)) is a real boost. I really don't know why it took them so long. The pads all fit and line up pretty good although the center one fit better before in my opinion. All in all I'm happy. The only thing that doesn't match is the grain of the center radio plate which I won't be using anyways, I've got a cut up one with the same grain for an aftermarket head unit. One day I'll get a modified factory unit. The realization of actually owning this car again gave me a real kick to get back into it.

As far as the body shop went everything I prepped got painted really quick. I stripped pieces and they all got painted within a week or two, I strip and clean the firewall, that too got painted in a week or two. Tail panel replacement and everything else he was supposed to do, that's another story. After a year and a half he only picked the tail panels off and fixed the clutch rod hole in the firewall.

I haven't touched the Chevelle but it's safe here now. The engine died in my daily driver Fairlane so that's currently getting built as we speak. It's nothing crazy but should be a tidy stout little package. Once that car is back on the road I can start saving again to finish my Charger.

Dino

Sounds like you're on track with everything.  Keep chipping away at it!   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Thanks Shakey :cheers:

Once it goes back in the car it will feel like I'm on the home stretch, the interior will be complete and only body work will be left. Maybe the odd thing here and there but all the major stuff will be done.

myk

Quote from: 440 on November 27, 2014, 10:08:56 AM
Hey Dino,
I should stay around this time. Getting the dash back and finally completing it (3 years after starting it ::)) is a real boost. I really don't know why it took them so long. The pads all fit and line up pretty good although the center one fit better before in my opinion. All in all I'm happy. The only thing that doesn't match is the grain of the center radio plate which I won't be using anyways, I've got a cut up one with the same grain for an aftermarket head unit. One day I'll get a modified factory unit. The realization of actually owning this car again gave me a real kick to get back into it.

As far as the body shop went everything I prepped got painted really quick. I stripped pieces and they all got painted within a week or two, I strip and clean the firewall, that too got painted in a week or two. Tail panel replacement and everything else he was supposed to do, that's another story. After a year and a half he only picked the tail panels off and fixed the clutch rod hole in the firewall.

I haven't touched the Chevelle but it's safe here now. The engine died in my daily driver Fairlane so that's currently getting built as we speak. It's nothing crazy but should be a tidy stout little package. Once that car is back on the road I can start saving again to finish my Charger.

See now I totally forgot about the Chevelle.  Hang in there man.  I can't wait to see your completed stable...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: myk on November 27, 2014, 06:30:18 AM
I'm glad that finally got sorted out for you.  On that note, body shops SUCK. Unfortunately most of us don't have a choice when it comes to that part of the process...

I really hate it when all body shops get thrown under the bus when ever one bad one is discussed. Yes there are a lot of poopheads. We aren't all like that"......
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

bill440rt

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 27, 2014, 08:13:48 PM

I really hate it when all body shops get thrown under the bus when ever one bad one is discussed. Yes there are a lot of poopheads. We aren't all like that"......

x2
There are lots of excellent, REPUTABLE shops out there. I can think of a few that are even run by members on here.  :whistling: 
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

moparnation74

myk

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on November 27, 2014, 08:13:48 PM
I'm glad that finally got sorted out for you.  On that note, body shops SUCK. Unfortunately most of us don't have a choice when it comes to that part of the process...

I meant no offense to you, or your trade.  All of the ones that I and many local car club members have interacted with have been for the worse.  I haven't met anyone in this town that has had any positive experiences  to share.  Again no offense, but I think it has something to do with our proximity to the border...

Mopar Nut

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

fy469rtse

Which state are you from,
I usually find a small shop , one or two man operation , have had the last car painted this way , not enough room for too many cars at once , so i get the work needed done, without the car going into the back cnr and occasionally worked on
Dash took a long time but beautiful job , looks absolutely brand new

Thanks guys, I'm pretty happy with the results and getting it back has given me a big boost. There's still a few little things I'd like to fix up but nothing major.

I had the car in a reputable one man shop, he fixed up my Fairlane pretty good after a pot head backed into it. Unfortunately with my charger he kept working on the quick and easy turnover jobs instead of working on mine.

Now I just need to save some coin and find a good shop to take it too.

fizz

I delivered my car to a restoration/custom shop just after labor day 2014 on a rotisserie, stripped with new floors and quarters installed. They returned it to me in an enclosed trailer, front and rear suspension installed, bottom side detailed and painted body color, sheetmetal fitted, with vinyl roof on, from over 100 miles away, the week before thanksgiving 2014. Damn close to perfect. They screwed around making a shade of ef8 green in a pearl for a week. Local shop would have done nearly as good, but have been waiting a year to get it in and would have took 2+ years, for proboably 10 k less. Cost me 30 K . Couldn't be happier. Straight Line Customs in Savage, MN.