News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Getting true oil pressure reading

Started by Dino, December 01, 2014, 09:08:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dino

My stock oil pressure gauge reads only around 30 psi, regardless of rpm.  It's probably the gauge itself and I'm not really worried about the reading on this gauge but I do need to rule out any actual problems so I need to find true oil pressure.  What's the easiest and most economical way to do this?  Get the HF oil pressure gauge?  I don't want to buy an aftermarket gauge because I don't want to use one, I just need to test the pressure. I'll recalibrate or replace the stock gauge next year.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

myk

That's something I've lived with as well.  I had a couple of times when the my oil gauge just said ZERO and it freaked me out so I had my shop verify the pressure externally.  I'm guessing they hooked up a gauge into where the sender sits?  The only thing I see us doing is replacing or restoring the gauge.  We can't keep playing this guessing game...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

You will probably need to get a cheap aftermarket mechanical guage and plug it in there temporarily.

Dino

This is going to be hard to beat with a 20% off coupon, but the accuracy may be a bit off as well.  Any budget gauges out there that would beat this?   :shruggy:

http://www.harborfreight.com/engine-oil-pressure-test-kit-98949.html
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

keith88

I put a mechanical one in mine mounted under the dash and it read 15 pounds higher than the stock one.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

Roctania

Where on the 440 engine is the oil pressure sender located?

71_Charger_R/T

Back of the block on the top where the bell housing  bolts to engine........ I put a "T" in the port so I could keep my factory gauge in the dash and mounted a mechanical gauge under the hood so I can see what true oil pressure is. Best of both worlds.  :Twocents:

A383Wing

there are 2 oil pressure ports in the back on a big block....I never trust the stock gauges, I got mechanical oil and water gauges under the dash on my cars

71_Charger_R/T

I found the 2nd port to be a different size. But yes, you are right, there are two ports, one on each side of the web.

Roctania

found the two oil pressure ports, thanks for that tip. 

if we ever get spark, I intend to fire this engine up. 

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,115129.msg1423360.html#msg1423360