News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Race Daytona on ebay

Started by rnjump, December 02, 2014, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

held1823

Quote from: odcics2 on December 10, 2014, 05:25:24 PM
Aww, you remember I had found the original list, back in the 80s!  :2thumbs:
And I would give anyone all the info for free, if they provided me a pencil rubbing of the dashboard vin.

At the time, I thought that would weed out folks just looking for info to search for cars, that the owner didn't want known.
Hey, if a guy has a Daytona, and wants to stay off the grid, I respect that.   Most original owners weren't that far from the selling dealer.

I believe I helped out about 80 guys back then, wanting shipping dates and dealer info!  :cheers:

greg,  i had no idea it was you but am not surprised to learn that it was. you won't recall it, but you, my dad, and i had chatted many years ago. you are correct that you are not a profiteer off of your extensive archives, but have you not sat on a lot of original stuff that could help secure an accurate history of these cars, both on and off the track? that's totally your prerogative but i sincerely hope that it does not all go for naught in the end.

as hard as he can be to follow at times, dave b is perhaps the only one i can think of that actively seeks to keep the aero history accurate. it's a damn shame that, with two clubs around for decades, there isn't a comprehensive database available to compare options and oddities about how the cars were equipped.  

i am fine with original owners who wish to remain unknown. what are there, a dozen or so including my dad? these people don't need any document to know the history of their car. they also don't owe anyone the specifics about their car, but the quest for accurate knowledge goes further than that. the logic does escape me about how the ship lists identify owners, but i guess with enough effort someone might find someone who knew someone whose neighbor worked for one of the dealerships in 1969.

don't read this all as a slap at greg or anyone else (well, maybe one at the guru). it is simply a passion to hopefully see those who can make a difference, actually do so. i'm fifty years old, and very likely one of the young ones when it comes to fanatics of old. what good will it do us to take what we have learned to the grave with us?  
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

69_500

Ernie, your 15 years older than me?

I think there is probably close to 20 or more original Daytona owners left that still have their cars. In,y one who bought a Hemi car.

talkiemopar

If they were in a computer in 1972 and put in XX29, they could have gotten 392 cars. Maybe the rest were XS29 cars, like one of my Charger 500's. My other 500 is XX29.  :Twocents: :2thumbs: :popcrn: :popcrn:  Rick.

held1823

Quote from: 69_500 on December 10, 2014, 09:29:37 PM
Ernie, your 15 years older than me?

I think there is probably close to 20 or more original Daytona owners left that still have their cars. In,y one who bought a Hemi car.

i'm an tired old man, danny, old enough to remember seeing a brand new daytona pull up in front of my grandparents' house in September 1969.

that original owner hemi car is the prettiest one of them made, too.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Ghoste

I wonder how much money it would take to get Govier to just show the list?  He'll never ever get all 392 (or however may are on there) car owners to pay him for confirmation their car is on his special double secret probation list.

500Jon

In the past I was quite happy to pay Galen for helping me buy a Daytona.
He flatly refused to help me at any price!
25 years has rolled past and it still hurts me.
He ruined my dream and he slated my C500 as well, said it was a wreck?......... :flame:
I have run into him a few times at shows and he still makes me MAD!!! :RantExplode:

I have no intention of ever using his services, so please count me OUT!!! :poke:

My wife has strict instructions to crush my C500 on my demise!!! :angelwing:
She says if I don't get it finished soon, I will be inside it when it goes to the CRUSHER! :slap:

Off to the garage methinks? :smash: :hack: :buff: :paintingpink: :drive:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

odcics2

Quote from: 500Jon on December 11, 2014, 07:01:58 AM
In the past I was quite happy to pay Galen for helping me buy a Daytona.
He flatly refused to help me at any price!
25 years has rolled past and it still hurts me.
He ruined my dream and he slated my C500 as well, said it was a wreck?......... :flame:
I have run into him a few times at shows and he still makes me MAD!!! :RantExplode:

I have no intention of ever using his services, so please count me OUT!!! :poke:

My wife has strict instructions to crush my C500 on my demise!!! :angelwing:
She says if I don't get it finished soon, I will be inside it when it goes to the CRUSHER! :slap:

Off to the garage methinks? :smash: :hack: :buff: :paintingpink: :drive:

Funniest thing i have heard today!   :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

TUFCAT

5J.....I've heard a similar version of that story from Mrs. Tufcat who's from England.  :smilie_help: :cryin: :oye:   Apparently some Lasses just can't share our love for the automobile....  :'(

500Jon

Ladies love cars, they have to be no longer than ten feet.
Look like a box, be painted bright PINK and the heater must work!!! :pity:

Is that why Mustangs sold so well??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Ghoste

You are probably right, Iaccoca was adamant about the Mustang being a "secretary's car" right from the very start.  ;)

odcics2

Quote from: 500Jon on December 13, 2014, 05:58:52 AM
Ladies love cars, they have to be no longer than ten feet.
Look like a box, be painted bright PINK and the heater must work!!! :pity:

Is that why Mustangs sold so well??? :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Hmmm, that explains my wife's thoughts on cars!!!

She had a Mustang II when I married her!   

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on December 10, 2014, 09:00:28 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on December 10, 2014, 05:25:24 PM
Aww, you remember I had found the original list, back in the 80s!  :2thumbs:
And I would give anyone all the info for free, if they provided me a pencil rubbing of the dashboard vin.

At the time, I thought that would weed out folks just looking for info to search for cars, that the owner didn't want known.
Hey, if a guy has a Daytona, and wants to stay off the grid, I respect that.   Most original owners weren't that far from the selling dealer.

I believe I helped out about 80 guys back then, wanting shipping dates and dealer info!  :cheers:

greg,  i had no idea it was you but am not surprised to learn that it was. you won't recall it, but you, my dad, and i had chatted many years ago. you are correct that you are not a profiteer off of your extensive archives, but have you not sat on a lot of original stuff that could help secure an accurate history of these cars, both on and off the track? that's totally your prerogative but i sincerely hope that it does not all go for naught in the end.

don't read this all as a slap at greg or anyone else (well, maybe one at the guru). it is simply a passion to hopefully see those who can make a difference, actually do so. i'm fifty years old, and very likely one of the young ones when it comes to fanatics of old. what good will it do us to take what we have learned to the grave with us?  

Ernie-

Surely you know about this:  http://aerowarriors.com/ftkc.html

and this:  http://aerowarriors.com/cda.html

and maybe this:  http://aerowarriors.com/gswtt.html

and even this:  http://aerowarriors.com/200mphrun.html

All these sources will give you enough reading material to keep you busy well into next year!   :cheers:

Make sure these links get posted everyplace!  Knowledge is a good thing. 

Ken Noffsinger had to go back and watermark a lot of the photos I donated to the aerowarrior site because Ryan Owens was poaching them, putting a 'copyright cotton owens.com'  on them and using them on that site...  You can not 'copyright' a photo you did not take.   Period.

Also had other guys poaching the photos and making copies for selling on ebay.   

Ghoste

Quote from: odcics2 on December 13, 2014, 10:35:40 AM
Ken Noffsinger had to go back and watermark a lot of the photos I donated to the aerowarrior site because Ryan Owens was poaching them, putting a 'copyright cotton owens.com'  on them and using them on that site...  You can not 'copyright' a photo you did not take.   Period.

:flame: :brickwall:

500Jon

Dear Greg and other Wingcar officianadoes.

It would take a lifetime for most Folks to catch up with all this Aero stuff.
Unfortunately a lot of time is wasted with mud flinging and back-biting which is bad for the HOBBY!
Some Folks have grown up around the Wingcars, the Drivers and the Builders.
For the rest of us its finding a good book or two and Interweb stuff, THAT's all we have.
Then you have to try and find time for the project car in the garage, the wife and kids and a crap job to pay the bills.

All I really, really want is ONE good C500 and Wingcar-book that is factual and correct.
With as many action pictures as possible with quotes from our Hero drivers!!! :rofl:
It can be a thousand pages long and as heavy as a flagstone and cost a weeks wages,
BUT JUST DO IT!!! :yesnod: :yesnod: :yesnod:

BEFORE ITS TOOO LATE!!! :2thumbs:

I was speaking to Robert Landy a while back and he was tearful when speaking about his Dad!
Guess what he said?..."All that wonderful knowledge collected over a lifetime is all gone now".

Happy Christmas to all AreoFolks and C500 owners, 2019 is coming round FAST!!! :bump:

OOPS off-TOPIC again!

held1823

Quote from: odcics2 on December 13, 2014, 10:35:40 AM

Ernie-

Surely you know about this:  http://aerowarriors.com/ftkc.html

and this:  http://aerowarriors.com/cda.html

and maybe this:  http://aerowarriors.com/gswtt.html

and even this:  http://aerowarriors.com/200mphrun.html

All these sources will give you enough reading material to keep you busy well into next year!   :cheers:

Make sure these links get posted everyplace!  Knowledge is a good thing.  

Ken Noffsinger had to go back and watermark a lot of the photos I donated to the aerowarrior site because Ryan Owens was poaching them, putting a 'copyright cotton owens.com'  on them and using them on that site...  You can not 'copyright' a photo you did not take.   Period.

i have been well aware (for many, many years) of your contribution to the race side of the aero equation, but was not aware that you were the origin of the ship list. i think you might have taken my later comment the wrong way, when i said i was not surprised it was you that had the ship list. i was not meaning that with any thought to you not sharing it. i meant that it was a document that would fit well with the vast amount of archive race material that i knew you possessed, knowledge that i would not have if you did not shared a great deal of it. if i offended you, that was not my intent and i apologize it might have came across that way. my wing car passion simply leans more towards the street cars than the track versions. the ship list is a huge piece of a potential database to see how the street cars were similarly/differently equipped and eventually distributed.

as for the poachers and outright frauds, they unfortunately exist regardless of the subject matter. the web has made their agenda all the easier. it is a tragedy that the very medium that can help to guarantee an accurate history is the same medium that a few will use for personal gain. i guess it comes down to a choice about the good outweighing the bad. i will always argue that shared knowledge is power, and thus the only means to keep history from being rewritten. one need not look any further than a certain #6 show car, to see how the truth can be lost in the revisions.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

I lean more towards race Daytonas, because , IMO they look better.
Ernie - no problem, we're good!   :cheers: 

Johnny Daytona

Quote from: Ghoste on December 03, 2014, 07:02:48 AM
Depends on your definition.  As a race car it was never sold as an XX29 car Daytona in the first place so in that sense NONE of it was ever a real Daytona.  On the other hand, as a race vehicle its one of the ONLY real Daytonas.  Of course as a race car it has also probably been skinned at some point as a number of other real cars.
Well said!  I know that the August 73 Talladega race won by Dick brooks was in a chassis that was built  in 64 as a Belvedere 
70 daytona clone, still building it<br />53-392 hemi stude chop top starlight cp<br />66 corvette cp My daily driver

odcics2

Any ideas who bought the Hylton Daytona and where it went ?

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:    :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on February 05, 2015, 11:05:27 AM

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:    :shruggy:

New buyer is out towards the east coast.     He's looking for parts like a wing and the inside braces.

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on February 05, 2015, 11:50:18 AM
Quote from: odcics2 on February 05, 2015, 11:05:27 AM

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:    :shruggy:

New buyer is out towards the east coast.     He's looking for parts like a wing and the inside braces.

I also need a wing and supports for the Bettenhausen Daytona...   :Twocents:

(and a race front end.  Found an original plug off a gold 500, or maybe a Daytona, that was scrapped out back in the day.)

:2thumbs:

Aero426

You mean you're not going to restore it as an Aspen?     :nana:

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on February 06, 2015, 09:41:08 AM
You mean you're not going to restore it as an Aspen?     :nana:

I did kick that around...  I'd call it "Done, as is!"   

Need a set of 5 slot wheels, too!!!   :drool5: 

wingcar builder

I have a set of those...........And period Goodyear tires with the Red ink stamps on them for the Pocono race. can't get more detail than that.

odcics2

Quote from: wingcar builder on February 07, 2015, 06:53:34 PM
I have a set of those...........And period Goodyear tires with the Red ink stamps on them for the Pocono race. can't get more detail than that.

Ahhh...  Please post a photo or 2 of the wheels!

And the tires, too!   :drool5:

And I heard you have a nice pair of these for me.....  N70 date coded, too!

500Jon

Hi Greg,

I heard after all the BAD press the guy sold the, ex 'Hylton' car,,,cheap @ $100,000.
Now I know I should have stuck with Drag Racing and I thought that was expensive LOL! :slap: