News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Race Daytona on ebay

Started by rnjump, December 02, 2014, 06:33:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warmpancakes

Cotton Owens is mentioned in the paperwork wonder why?

odcics2

Quote from: 1RareBird on December 02, 2014, 09:00:18 PM
Definitely the original Jack McCoy daytona front clip

So, what's on the restored McCoy Daytona?    :shruggy: :shruggy: :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

odcics2

Quote from: warmpancakes on December 02, 2014, 09:02:37 PM
Cotton Owens is mentioned in the paperwork wonder why?

Cotton must have been on his daily constitutional.     Inman, S.C. isn't that far from Spartanburg, S.C.   :scope:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

69DAYTONASE

Nope, if someone died in that car, wouldn't want anything to do with it, nope. :rotz:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

wingman(22)

As far as name on car I put it on the car when I took it too show in 2009. And it was white letters that James have me. And what do you mean about Cotton?

wingman(22)

Cotton is mentioned because he is the one that told me about the car. He knew I was looking for one.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

nascarxx29

Quote from: Aero426 on August 19, 2010, 09:54:09 AM
That is the Prince crash.   Look how the car is bent into a Vee.
The Prince crash car was #78

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

500Jon

Hi Aero folks,

Here we go again LOL!
68 bodyshell, front clip off another car, floorpan rotted away, new doors, repaired rollcage, and some odds pieces of tubing from a local DIY store! :eek2:

I suppose because its on wheels and has a roof, it looks REAL!!!.................... :shruggy:

At least NW's Daytona is all original sheetmetal, albeit not a lot of it!!! :scratchchin:

Keeping away from this one methinks?
5J
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Ghoste

Depends on your definition.  As a race car it was never sold as an XX29 car Daytona in the first place so in that sense NONE of it was ever a real Daytona.  On the other hand, as a race vehicle its one of the ONLY real Daytonas.  Of course as a race car it has also probably been skinned at some point as a number of other real cars.

500Jon

Hi Mr.Ghoste.

A Real Daytona BODYSHELL is a vehicle put together by the 'factory' that is Mother Mopar!
It was assembled as a 69 Charger and modified by Creative.
Then the so called 'racecars' are modified Daytona's or 500's.
These were then re-modified for race duties and have a timeline from 'FACTORY TO TRACK'
Rule changes then made them re-re-modified for windowless Regulations.

If they are rebodied earlier cars then they were never Real Daytona or 500's to start with.
If they were re-bodied afterwards for different Formula's etc, whats left of the ORIGINAL CAR???
The only part that never really changes is the Floorpan!

WAS OK WITH THIS CAR TILL I SAW THE 71 REAR SHEETMETAL AND THAT BUMPER TAKES THE BISCUIT!!! :brickwall:

I think it stains the memory of a man who died in it!!! :'( :'( :'(

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on December 03, 2014, 08:35:50 AM
Hi Mr.Ghoste.

A Real Daytona is a vehicle put together by the 'factory' that is Mother Mopar!
It was assembled as a 69 Charger and modified by Creative.
Then the so called 'racecars' are modified Daytona's or 500's.
These were then re-modified for race duties and have a timeline from 'FACTORY TO TRACK'
Rule changes then made them re-re-modified for windowless Regulations.

If they are rebodied earlier cars then they were never Real Daytona or 500's to start with.
If they were re-bodied afterwards for different Formula's etc, whats left of the ORIGINAL CAR???
The only part that never really leaves is the Floorpan!
THAT'S ALL THIS RACECAR REALLY IS/WAS AND SHALL BE!!! :shruggy:

WAS OK WITH THIS CAR TILL I SAW THE 71 REAR SHEETMETAL AND THAT BUMPER TAKES THE BISCUIT!!! :brickwall:

I think it stains the memory of a man who died in it!!! :'( :'( :'(

In terms of provenance, you must completely separate the street Daytonas from the race cars.   They have nothing to do with one another.     

Almost all of the race cars started out as unserialized Charger bodies.    Some could be 1968 race cars updated to a Charger 500, then a Daytona,  then back to a conventional Charger later.     Yet, they are all the same car.   

Cars were raced, wrecked, repaired, raced some more, wrecked some more, fixed and raced until there was literally nothing left.    Replacement of bodies was typical, if only to update to a newer model to keep racing.    The same chassis could race for ten years if it was lucky.    You must look below the skin to see the car you are really dealing with.   Focusing only on the exterior bits can lead you astray.   

held1823

Quote from: Aero426 on December 03, 2014, 09:42:14 AM

Almost all of the race cars started out as unserialized Charger bodies.    

game, set, and match.

if a body didn't leave chrysler as a daytona, it can never become a daytona. it can however become a felony, which still does not seem to deter the rebody fans.

Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

wingman(22)

All the posts that say a bumper is wrong a plug is missing etc. are comments made by people that must not have a clue about the race car side of this. All these experts make comments about cars and do not realize how many changes these things went thru. This car was rebodied had bars put in bars removed. It was last used as a dirt car it appeared when I got it. That is probably why there is a bumper from some other year on it.
There has to be a percentage of a car that can be said to be real. I dont make that call, but someone has decided it. This car was looked over by Cotton Owens and said to be correct for the time period. He never said it was Hyltons car. Then Hylton was asked to look at the car. There were parts that he said he put in the car. Do we call all of these old timers liars and mental patients? There is physical evidence according to James that this was his car. If only part of the cage and the parts he added are left do we scrap it and say it cant be real or do we respect the guy that raced and built it?
And what if you had a picture of parts of the car then. And now those parts are gone do you say it cant be? So based on some of the physical evidence that is left, drivers side rework, matching yellow paint, bars Hylton put in and said beyond a shadow of a doubt he put them in why cant it be what it is said to be?

Aero426

Yah, I don't see a plug on this car either.  Bummer.    :smilielol:

wingman(22)

Guess it isn't the real deal.....
Scrap it....

Aero426

Bill you should post up some pics of your recently acquired "storage locker" on the COG thread.   

5hunert

I think we can lay to rest the miss-matched sheet metal-its an old race car.  Given what happened to all the Nascar Late Model Chargers in my neck of the woods I'm surprised it doesn't have a rusty 78 Mirada body on it.

wingman(22)

I need to correct something in previous posts. Went back to my notes and Cotton did tell me he thought it was Hylton's car.

500Jon

I understand that a racecar is not what it starts out as.
The term Daytona does not relate to racecars, just a Charger body with add-ons.
The body seems almost irrelevant in your eyes.
Its all about who built it and who raced it!

I think the door is wide open for abuse here?

I have parts off a 69 Charger racecar that was raced as a Daytona.
How many pieces do I need to make it legit, if and when I rebuild it???

5J

Aero426

Quote from: 500Jon on December 03, 2014, 02:24:01 PM

The body seems almost irrelevant in your eyes.
Its all about who built it and who raced it!

Body is not irrelevant.   If you can, you'd like it to have the original body.   On these cars, that is often not possible.    You do have to have some proof "in the metal" of what you are claiming.     

TUFCAT

Quote from: 5hunert on December 03, 2014, 01:22:48 PM
I think we can lay to rest the miss-matched sheet metal-its an old race car.  Given what happened to all the Nascar Late Model Chargers in my neck of the woods I'm surprised it doesn't have a rusty 78 Mirada body on it.

:iagree:

wingman(22)

I was looking at the front clip and noticed it did not appear to be modified for fenders and nose. I asked seller and he said it bolted directly onto the car. No mdifications needed.
Also I recall using my race wing braces to verify the holes in the trunk. And they fit the pattern on each side. Why would that be if there was never a wing? Just adding a few more facts.

Stevearino

This car is authentic in that it competed at Nascar sanctioned races as a Dodge Daytona at some point in it's life. 1969 and early 70.
It is one of almost no surviving examples of a car to have this rite of passage in it's history and to me it is the most desirable of Daytona's available because it performed the specific duties the car was designed for. It raced. The street Daytona existed for the sole purpose to justify this car's presence at Nascar events. There was no other reason to produce the street version and if Chrysler could have raced this car without producing a street version and all the associated problems I am sure they would have taken that route. Especially since they produced the bare minimum to satisfy Nascar requirements.

69DAYTONASE

Quote from: nascarxx29 on December 03, 2014, 12:39:23 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on August 19, 2010, 09:54:09 AM
That is the Prince crash.   Look how the car is bent into a Vee.
The Prince crash car was #78

Which newspaper was the crash report out of? What caught my eye was the reporting on the Baldwinsville-Jamesville/Dewitt swim meet. I grew up in Baldwinsville and don't live to far away from the town still.
:popcrn:
"My other car is a farm tractor"