News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Dash Cluster grounding

Started by hemi68charger, May 22, 2006, 01:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..
Maybe it's been good luck on my part in the past, but I've never had an issue with gauges freaking out before... I just restored my friend's instrument cluster and reinstalled and the gauges are freaking out.... I used the original cluster frame with printed circuit board of which I didn't touch other than pull the gauges out.

I've rebuilt alot of Charger clusters before, so know my way around and in them.... After some reading and CSI'ing, I'm thinking it's a grounding issue. I'm assuming the grounding route for the cluster is the cluster housing to dash frame contact?  How sensitive is this point of contact for grounding. Again, I've used the original dasg housing/circuit board and voltage limiter as he had before and his gauges worked fine...  I can't imagine the limiter just freaked all of sudden in conjuction with me pulling and reinstalling the cluster.........

Troy
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Plumcrazy

The ground path is where the cluster housing contacts the dash.
There's 5 of them.  I doubt that none of them are making a good connection to ground.

I'd try another limiter.

It's not a midlife crisis, it's my second adolescence.