News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What's up with my strip sandpaper??

Started by green69rt, October 08, 2015, 06:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Ok, I'm down to doing some body work so have started some filler and sanding.  The picture below shows the two brands of sandpaper I've tried.   Here's the problem.

The fandeli on the left from Autobody Toolmart sticks so well to my new sanding blocks that I can't get it off in a big sheet.  I ended up peeling it off a tiny bit at a time then cleaning the remaining adhesive with lacquer thinner.  I ended up just leaving one layer of sandpaper on the block then putting another on top of the first.  They didn't stick as well to each other as to the block, so that worked.

The other roll, recently bought from Eastwod, didn't stick at all even though it is advertised as "self-adhesive".   What a pain that is to use....

Something I'm doing or should I just shut up and keep and using the stuff??   :shruggy: :shruggy:

Dino

I've had those issues when I was still in auto body.  If it doesn't stick well use some contact spray glue like 3M 77 and use only a little on the paper and the block.  Alternatively you can use some double sided tape such as carpet tape, again use very little.  When the adhesive is so strong that it rips the paper when removed, spray some laquer thinner on the adhesive before you stick it on the block or again use carpet tape alternated with plain paper so none of the sandpaper adhesive touches the sanding block.

Best solution is to find some sandpaper that properly sticks but you have this stuff and I understand money doesn't grow on trees.

I never liked adhesive backed paper.  I stick with velcro.   ;)
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

green69rt

Quote from: Dino on October 08, 2015, 08:13:31 PM
I've had those issues when I was still in auto body.  If it doesn't stick well use some contact spray glue like 3M 77 and use only a little on the paper and the block.  Alternatively you can use some double sided tape such as carpet tape, again use very little.  When the adhesive is so strong that it rips the paper when removed, spray some laquer thinner on the adhesive before you stick it on the block or again use carpet tape alternated with plain paper so none of the sandpaper adhesive touches the sanding block.

Best solution is to find some sandpaper that properly sticks but you have this stuff and I understand money doesn't grow on trees.

Wait!!!!  Sandpaper comes with velcro?!!   :eek2: :smilielol:

Dino

Quote from: green69rt on October 08, 2015, 08:25:03 PM
Quote from: Dino on October 08, 2015, 08:13:31 PM

Wait!!!!  Sandpaper comes with velcro?!!   :eek2: :smilielol:

Well they had to use something...and pop rivets weren't working out so well!   :lol:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.