News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winged cars outside in Daytona FL

Started by Dmichels, December 06, 2014, 09:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

About 20 years ago I use to vacation in Daytona FL. On several occasions I remember driving near the speedway and seeing 2? Daytona/super bird cars outside in what appeared to be a private  residence. They were not hidden from view and I am sure plenty of people saw them. It has been a while but I believe the cars were un-restored. There may have been other interesting cars there but those are just the ones that stuck in my mind. Does anyone know the fate of these cars?
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

PettyMower

Those were the cars owned by Panama Pete. His daily driver was a white Superbird with numerous NASCAR driver autographs throughout the car. I believe the hood had at least five NASCAR champion's autographs.

Dmichels

Yes that is them. Where are they now?
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Aero426

They are all scattered to the wind.  New owners elsewhere.

PettyMower

Here's Pete's FJ5 'Bird, when I visited him in 2002.

PettyMower

And Pete's Alpine 'Bird.

I believe he still owned a 3rd 'Bird at this time, but it was in storage.

He was a curator at one of the automotive museums in Daytona.

PettyMower

and more pics.....

PettyMower

The #226 Merc was parked next to Pete's daily driver. My memory is not the greatest, but I believe it was tagged.

Pete was good friends with Ray Fox, who lived close by, and offered to take me there to meet the NASCAR legend. Sadly, we needed to get back on the road. Looking back, we should have made time and stayed in Daytona another day.

Aero426

The #226 is Russ Truelove's car.   Perhaps Pete was helping him store it.      That is an original '56 Mercury race frame with a new body.   Russ flipped the original during one of the beach races.     You can sometimes meet him hanging out at the Living Legends Museum in Daytona. 

PettyMower

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Pete told me that Ray Fox owned the #226 at the time I was there (2002).

Pete also mentioned that him and Ray were planning on racing a Superbird on the beach of Daytona, for a speed record or something like that.

I know that may sound crazy...but I was not going to question him.

500Jon

Very sad indeed!

He wouldn't sell them for ages, it made people cry, watching them rot, year after year!!! :shruggy:
At least they are being loved now!!! :pity: :pity: :pity:

Johnny
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

PettyMower

Did someone actually do something with the Lime-Light Green 'Bird? It had been hit....HARD!

gymratt30

I know the Green Bird ended up in Georgia, the owner is a friend of mine. its in pieces... however the owner does top notch restorations... so there's a good chance it will comeback to life someday.
"2 superbirds sittin side by side"

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10