News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

daytona/bird headlight assemblies

Started by RD, March 20, 2006, 11:51:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RD

after reading daytonalo (larry's) thread on his actuator assembly, I was wondering about the whole headlight (via clone car) dilemma. 

has anyone just thought to put fixed lights in the areas in which the daytona's headlights were to be mounted on a rotating headlight assembly?  Then have just a quality clear plexiglas headlight cover?

I know some of the purists will say hell no, but I dont care about that.  I am thinking of my 318 '70 charger that is a clone, hence its a resto-mod (keyword being mod) and I think the fixed headlight aspect maybe an interesting approach to provide some individuality.

Have any of you thought of this approach, and if so, have any of you acted on it or developed some thought to the construction of such a beast?

thanks
Jamey
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

daytonalo

WOW , WILL THE CAR TALK LIKE NIGHT-RIDER .

RD

Quote from: daytonalo on March 21, 2006, 02:39:40 AM
WOW , WILL THE CAR TALK LIKE NIGHT-RIDER .

maybe you are not understanding.  I am saying fixed headlights where the headlights would normally go on the daytona nose cone, just inset with a plexiglas/lexan style of covering.

And no offense, but its "knight rider".

here is what I am referring to. please excuse my shoddy mspaint skills.
67 Plymouth Barracuda, 69 Plymouth Barracuda, 73 Charger SE, 75 D100, 80 Sno-Commander

daytonalo

OH , THAT MUST BE THE DAYTONA WHICH WAS IMPORTED TO CHINA !. I'M SORRY THAT CAR LOOKS REMINDS ME OF SLANT EYE BASTARD  .

BigBlockSam

they look good on this car but the yellow grill gotta go

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Old Moparz

Hey RD,

It's been done before, & I do believe that Dane (Daytona Guy) did it on one of his past replica Daytonas. I also like the photo that Big Block Sam posted, it has the Superbird look with the black treatment on the lights. I always liked that feature on the Birds.

Bob
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

RD

BBS,
  Thanks for the pics, I appreciate it.  That is exactly what I am thinking of.  So much so, that that is exactly what I want to do with my daytona (even the racecar theme).  Thanks again FOR YOUR CONSTRUCTIVE INPUT.  (yes, that was me being subtle).

OM,
  Do you have a pic of Dane's?  I like the blackened look also, but I believe I will use a "smoke" plexi/lexan style cover so it can still be functional at night.

RD

BigBlockSam

Dane's car

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

Old Moparz

Quote from: RD on March 21, 2006, 07:29:53 PM
BBS,
  Thanks for the pics, I appreciate it.  That is exactly what I am thinking of.  So much so, that that is exactly what I want to do with my daytona (even the racecar theme).  Thanks again FOR YOUR CONSTRUCTIVE INPUT.  (yes, that was me being subtle).

OM,
  Do you have a pic of Dane's?  I like the blackened look also, but I believe I will use a "smoke" plexi/lexan style cover so it can still be functional at night.

RD

If I saved the pics, it's on a disc at work. (I'm home now) Hopefully Dane will pop on here, or just send him a PM. I'm actually thinking he may have also mounted lights at the bottom of the nose too, & posted pics on here somewhere.

That black out on the pink car is awesome & giving my lazy ass an idea too. :D
               Bob                

RD

Quote from: BigBlockSam on March 21, 2006, 07:32:55 PM
Dane's car

BBS, thanks again man.  I sure do appreciate all that you have supplied me with.

RD

BigBlockSam

your very welcome, here's the bird with the lights underneath

Old Moparz

Good find BBS. :thumbs:

That green bird looks decent, but I'm just not used to seeing them without the vinyl tops.
               Bob                

BigBlockSam

yea, i like birds better with vinyl tops   :cheers:

Brock Samson

hotrod98

This clone just might help me change my mind about vinyl tops and I'm definitely going orange now.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

RD

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 21, 2006, 08:45:44 PM
This clone just might help me change my mind about vinyl tops and I'm definitely going orange now.

thats a beaut larry... how come the headlight blackouts are smaller on those than on others that I have seen?

BigBlockSam

nice car! i hate , hate, hate the wheels

hotrod98

Not a clue. I don't even remember where I got that pic now. I think it was taken at the SEMA show.
My bird clone will definitely have the full blackout since my nose was built with the headlamp openings closed.
I already have my headlamp setup. I'm using the aluminum clusters with the mid-size seal beams out of an 88 sunbird and park lamps from a 70 coronet. The lamps will be mounted in the grille opening on a panel that will be mounted between the z-braces. I'll leave the area below the nose open with a small spoiler mounted near the core support. My car will look a lot like this one.

I'm using 18" billet magnum 500's on the bird clone. They have that "modern yet stock" look.

Charles Addams

hemigeno

Here's an old pic I dug up from Troy/hemi68charger.  It was an original F6 Daytona that I guess someone had changed over to fixed headlights with removable covers.  The car was on Moparts back in 2004.

Figured I'd throw the picture out there as another example of what some have done.

BigBlockSam

cool pic. i'd drive it just like that. Rene

hotrod98

Charles Addams

nascarxx29

That was the F6 green car of Gary French .Who also has the big willie 440 daytona
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Charger1973

Quote from: hotrod98 on March 21, 2006, 09:40:53 PM
I'm using 18" billet magnum 500's on the bird clone. They have that "modern yet stock" look.

Where can I find these wheels?  Sounds interesting. 

hotrod98

Charles Addams