News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

WWII aviation mystery I've tried for years to solve

Started by bull, December 15, 2014, 12:09:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

BF-109
- Produced in Higher numbers (34,000)
- Had More air-to -air kills
- Produced more Aces (many 100+)
- Flown Primarily by the highest scoring Aces in history Hartmann 353, Barkhorn 301 and Rall 275

Than any aircraft in History...bet ya' never heard that before but the winners write the history books :-)

AKcharger

Oh wait... the IL-2 beat the production #'s they had 36K built, but most were shot down by BF-109's :-)

Drache

Quote from: AKcharger on December 18, 2014, 08:15:47 PM
BF-109
- Produced in Higher numbers (34,000)
- Had More air-to -air kills
- Produced more Aces (many 100+)
- Flown Primarily by the highest scoring Aces in history Hartmann 353, Barkhorn 301 and Rall 275

Than any aircraft in History...bet ya' never heard that before but the winners write the history books :-)

The only thing that stopped the BF-109 is the small fuel tanks. Over European soil they were fine. But flying all the way to Britain didn't leave much in the tanks for dog fighting to protect their bombers.

I remember reading that once over Britain, BF-109 pilots had only minutes to dog fight then start heading home or they wouldn't make it.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Drache

The mustang won in the overall speed of most Propeller Fighter planes in WWII. The 109 could easily out maneuver the Mustang with it's roll rate along with low speed handling.

They were matched competitors. Neither of them came out ahead of each other. 
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

polywideblock

the long nosed FW190 butcher bird was the nicest looking  piston driven  ww2 fighter   :Twocents:     but the ME 262 was just plain beautiful :yesnod:

allied fighter its gota be the p47  thunderbolt    followed by the British mosquito  no arguing with 4x 303's and 4x 20mm cannon  :scratchchin:

and 71 GA4  383 magnum  SE

AKcharger

Oh, never realized we had some Aircraft historians here...cool! I read a book "no room for error" about the birth of the Israeli Air Force. Amazing story of how they got old BF-109's and B-17's to start off their AF. So in 1947 BF-109's and Spitfires were still Squaring off!

polywideblock

getting slightly of topic  but on the same sort of thing, did you know that the Syrians used reconditioned panzer 4's and stug 3's against Israeli tanks . so during the 6 day war( 1967) panzers and Sherman's squared of against each other again    :scratchchin: 

Troy

Based on looks, I'd take a Corsair over just about any of them. I love P-47s too for some reason. I made a rubber band powered one out of balsa wood and tissue paper when I was a kid. Shaping that nose was a lot of fun!

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

ACUDANUT

F4u Corsair
P-51 mustang
P-38 Lighting

Beat any propeller driven plane in it's day.

AKcharger

Quote from: polywideblock on December 19, 2014, 12:15:52 PM
getting slightly of topic  but on the same sort of thing, did you know that the Syrians used reconditioned panzer 4's and stug 3's against Israeli tanks . so during the 6 day war( 1967) panzers and Sherman's squared of against each other again    :scratchchin: 

No Way! never heard that! Cool!

HPP

Smithsonian channel has a neat show this season about the making of the movie "Fury". Seems they took the last remaining, running Tiger out in the field to film scenes with a couple of running Shermans. Said the crew was jaw dropping impressed with the size, sound, and motions of the originals squaring off again.

Drache

Quote from: HPP on December 20, 2014, 01:27:20 PM
Smithsonian channel has a neat show this season about the making of the movie "Fury". Seems they took the last remaining, running Tiger out in the field to film scenes with a couple of running Shermans. Said the crew was jaw dropping impressed with the size, sound, and motions of the originals squaring off again.

Tiger 131! Would love to get to ride in it once before I day :(
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ACUDANUT

Quote from: Drache on December 20, 2014, 02:29:32 PM
Quote from: HPP on December 20, 2014, 01:27:20 PM

Tiger 131! Would love to get to ride in it once before I day :(

We sure had some piss poor tanks in WWII.  I have heard of D Day, but I day ? lol

John_Kunkel

Quote from: polywideblock on December 18, 2014, 09:54:11 PM
the long nosed FW190 butcher bird was the nicest looking  piston driven  ww2 fighter   :Twocents:  

You can keep a penny of that, no better looking/sounding piston warbird than the P-51D.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Drache

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 20, 2014, 06:17:27 PM
the long nosed FW190 butcher bird was the nicest looking  piston driven  ww2 fighter   :Twocents:  

You can keep a penny of that, no better looking/sounding piston warbird than the P-51D.

Really? They sound nearly identical  :nana:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

polywideblock

Quote from: John_Kunkel on December 20, 2014, 06:17:27 PM
the long nosed FW190 butcher bird was the nicest looking  piston driven  ww2 fighter   :Twocents: 

just something about the lines of the FW 190   :yesnod:    

of the  us fighters  I've   always been attracted to the p47 myself   :yesnod:   sort of like our cars BIG and powerful   :scratchchin:

68CoronetRT

I'm a HUGE WW2 aircraft buff. I do play this game online for free that is being developed by Russians. What I enjoy most about this game is that the developers post stories/monthly ace blogs. If you read through this link you can see alot of topics that might be of interest .http://warthunder.com/en/news/

I've actually learned alot about armament etc... just from playing the game. They also include planes that were prototypes which is cool to see, also alot of plane variations. In example the P-51-D30 and D5, the 109 F4/F4 Trop, E3, K4 etc etc...

Just reading through those blogs is cool in itself. They spend alot of time posting them.

Edit: Talking about the HS129, here is a write up about it. http://warthunder.com/en/news/2689-ugly-ducklings-hs-129-en

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 68CoronetRT on December 22, 2014, 09:10:28 PM
I'm a HUGE WW2 aircraft buff. I do play this game online for free that is being developed by Russians. What I enjoy most about this game is that the developers post stories/monthly ace blogs. If you read through this link you can see alot of topics that might be of interest .http://warthunder.com/en/news/

I've actually learned alot about armament etc... just from playing the game. They also include planes that were prototypes which is cool to see, also alot of plane variations. In example the P-51-D30 and D5, the 109 F4/F4 Trop, E3, K4 etc etc...

Just reading through those blogs is cool in itself. They spend alot of time posting them.

Edit: Talking about the HS129, here is a write up about it. http://warthunder.com/en/news/2689-ugly-ducklings-hs-129-en

What is this free web site.? Where do you live, it's not listed in your profile. Is it top secret or something..?  What harm does it do to list a state or country. Are you launching a Web. Worm ?  Are you a commie spy ?

Drache

Was in the closed beta. Now helping beta test the tanks section  :2thumbs:
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

68CoronetRT

What is this free web site.? Where do you live, it's not listed in your profile. Is it top secret or something..?  What harm does it do to list a state or country. Are you launching a Web. Worm ?  Are you a commie spy ?
[/quote]

Huh? lol. I'm from Socal. It's a game... chill out.

Quote from: Drache on December 22, 2014, 11:38:18 PM

Was in the closed beta. Now helping beta test the tanks section  :2thumbs:

Very cool! It does teach you alot about planes and whatnot... :2thumbs:

ACUDANUT

I was teasing.  Do you have a link to the site ?

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

ACUDANUT

Ok, so I have to "create an account", then what do I do ?
Is it man vs. machine, or man vs. man. ?
Thanks

Drache

Quote from: ACUDANUT on December 23, 2014, 10:51:34 PM
Ok, so I have to "create an account", then what do I do ?
Is it man vs. machine, or man vs. man. ?
Thanks

You download the game. It's man vs. man

You either can fight using Planes or Tanks. Soon they will bring in Ships as well.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.