News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Where does one get the fuse holders for this style fuse box?

Started by A383Wing, December 15, 2014, 09:24:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

Found the new plastic boxes..where do you get the metal fuse holders that go inside it?

Bryan

Ghoste

b5blue

Only place I found for them was eBay. Came up under "70 charger fuse"  clip  holder or box should do it. 16.00 shipped for 12. (From Mexico.) I'm installing a new dash harness in my 70 Charger and the "accessory" fuse slot has the power side for a fuse but no clip for holding the other end. I called M&H, they were nice buy it was a stone wall. (They are "backed up 12 week lead time minimum.")

Ghoste

Have you tried a good auto parts store?  Or an automotive electrical repair shop?

b5blue

I scanned the internet for hours. They make kits for early Mustangs. M&H will not sell bits of stuff. The tricky part is these clips are a bit taller to fit behind the plastic and have tabs to keep them from sliding out backwards from the box. I found things close but close is not acceptable for something so critical.
   Someone will wake up someday and make an overhaul kit with proper buss bars and riveted clips for the feed side and the correct clips for the fused side as a repair kit that covers A/B/C rusted fuse blocks. 
Here is what I ordered, they are as close to correct as I can get. These are the ones that get attached to the bus bars, others have a tab that fits a slide on connector and still others have the crimp on tang to attach a wire.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/68-70-Dodge-Charger-SuperBee-Road-Runner-Mopar-Fuse-Box-Module-Repair-Kit-12-pcs-/191406485505?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3ACharger&hash=item2c90b73001&vxp=mtr   

fy469rtse

b5blue ,
thank you kindly for that , i have the other part for that , sorry cant link , old tech ,
but you will know the type of pin im talking about , male tag  hole to fit  on to coil , so a push on wiring connector, hole is perfect size for pin or rivet,
perfect timing as I'm in the same spot , got new plastic housing, just no pins holders
M&H not a lot of help , the rest of my wiring to harness was is in great shape 

b5blue

I found rivets or pins to attach fuse clips or male connectors to buss bars, they would need to be swedged (SP?) somehow. I get what your saying but not sure what you want.  :scratchchin: I can try to relocate them later. (I'm going to need them anyway.) 

Pete in NH

Those fuse clips from Mexico look like standard 1/4" clips that are readily available. Try Mouser Electronics (mouser.com) For part numbers 504-5682-41 Which is a Cooper/Bussman part or 534-3531 which is a Keystone part.

I looked at the Mexican sellers video and thought of a different way to assemble the fuse clips into the plastic housing. I think I would try mounting the clips to a piece of copper buss bar 1/8" thick and maybe 5/16" wide cut to the required length. Drill and tap the bar at the proper locations for a 4-40 screw and screw the fuse clips to the bar with an external tooth lock washer under the head of the screw. The screw head would be on the fuse clip side. The fuse clip prongs can easily be spread slightly to get the screw in there and then squeezed closed slightly. Then you could snap the whole clip/bar assembly into the plastic holder from behind. This might be a way to do it and could be worth a little experimentation.

b5blue

Hi Pete! They are not it. Looking VERY closely, Fuse Box mounted ones are taller to reach through the plastic box and have tiny tabs that slightly stick out from each side to hold the clip in place in the boxes shaped hole. The first one you have is for mounting to a printed circuit board and second is to be surface fastened. This is what drove me nuts!
  I tried many different wordings, descriptions and parameters, scanned bunches of sites page after page. You know me, I'd have ordered a box of 100 of each and offered kits if I could have found the darn things! Basically 3 types of clips and rivets, old brass buss bars could most likely be refurbished. H.P. connectors are not hard to find so it would be a "doable kit".  :scratchchin:
  As my Dash stuff is new M&H now I wanted to just "fix" the "accessory" empty port while installing. I feel for the guys with what may be a good harness but crappy fuse block in their Mopar!   

squeakfinder

I sent a question (a couple times) to the seller of those fuse boxes about the clips. 3 weeks later the answer was they don't know where to get them. What is the point of purchasing one of these boxes?
 Are the clips with the spades and tangs available?
Still looking for 15x7 Appliance slotted mags.....

b5blue

Can't find any! M&H gets them someplace, soon I'll try pumping them again. Kinda like the recipe for Coke right now?  :lol:

A383Wing

Charger4404spd

Pete in NH

Hi Neal,

I took a second look at those Ebay clips and your right, they are different than standard PC board clips. Interesting on those Mustang fuse clips, it looks like someone is soldering on the crimp terminals to the bottom of the Ebay type clips. So, that looks like two sources know where to find the basic fuse clips. They have to be out there somewhere. I've saved photos of both and will keep an eye out for them, I love a mystery, they are out there somewhere!

b5blue

The tiny retaining tangs that stick out below where the fuse fits, that keeps the clip from sliding out of the fuse box when you push in a fuse. THAT detail with the correct height to reach from the back side of the box's plastic thickness in each fuse clip hole is the main problem. From there something could be adapted.
  I ordered 12 from eBay, I only need one. The others are for research.

b5blue

Here is a shot of the new dash harness box from M&H for reference. You can see the ACCESSORY is fed off the buss bar but no clip for feeding anything. (To the far left.)

b5blue

Sent out a few emails on these clips. Bill Evens should have them by the end of Feb. for all, as part of his product line. Spread the word as these are sorely needed! I'm still waiting for the clips ordered off eBay from Mexico.  :eek2: (I think the donkey died!)
  Bill has been working on this and warns that spring steel is brittle, it may be an issue installing?  :scratchchin:

A383Wing

will he be offering just the single clips, or will he offer the multiple ones with the connecting bus bars?

b5blue

I don't know, check with him near end of FEB. My eBay Mexican clips came today, I'd requested a refund yesterday as it was 45 days from date of order. (I'd given up.) These look exactly like the ones riveted to buss bars. A bit extra long with tangs to engage the sides of the hole in the fuse block.