News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 4 speed wiring

Started by Dmichels, December 18, 2014, 06:42:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

Car was originally an auto
I need to know the factory routing for 2 connections.
Clutch safety switch I assume this provides the ground to the starter relay. Where does the connection go threw the firewall?
Dash reverse light where do I make the connection?
I can do a hack job but I would rather do it the way the factory did it
Thanks
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

JamieZ

My 67 built 68 doesn't have either of those.  The Inland shifter and a lockout so it did not have a reverse light.  I think the Hurst models did get the reverse light.

I do not think the 68 had a clutch safety switch on either.

A383Wing

all cars after 65 had reverse lights. There is a switch on the trans and wires go up firewall through bulkhead connector. Power is from wiper switch, then other wire goes to back of car. Both my Inland cars have reverse lights

There is no safety switch, you need the manual trans starter relay for firewall to start car

Dmichels

Thanks for the replies I have the reverse lights at the back of the car wired up correctly threw the bulkhead connector. Where does the DASH reverse light wire tie in? As far as the clutch safety switch. Was there no interlock on a 68 to prevent the car from starting in gear??? My peddle cluster had a switch but who knows what that came out of. I can wire it in but just want to know how the factory did it
68 440 4 speed 4.10

JamieZ

Everything I've read says early Inland cars did not have reverse lights.  Because the Inland has a lock out, the reverse light was not needed.  My own Charger does not have one.

Few sources here:
http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=A12&Number=6940437&Searchpage=1&Main=6939933&Words=+68RRFlyer&topic=&Search=true
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51424.0.html

As for the clutch safety switch, you are correct the car will start in gear.  Scared the crap out of me the first time I turned the key and it lurched forward.

A383Wing

QuoteEverything I've read says early Inland cars did not have reverse lights.  Because the Inland has a lock out, the reverse light was not needed.  My own Charger does not have one.

well, you read wrong..all cars made after 1965 had to have reverse lights as mandated by lay. Reverse switch is at the back of the trans, not the shifter.

JamieZ

Wait, are you talking about the white lights in the back of the car?  Those it has. 
The original poster was asking about the light that is on the dash which reads Reverse.  That only came on Hurst cars.

Troy

Quote from: JamieZ on December 18, 2014, 09:50:00 PM
Wait, are you talking about the white lights in the back of the car?  Those it has.  
The original poster was asking about the light that is on the dash which reads Reverse.  That only came on Hurst cars.

:iagree:

Quote from: Dmichels on December 18, 2014, 06:42:14 PM

Car was originally an auto
I need to know the factory routing for 2 connections.
Clutch safety switch I assume this provides the ground to the starter relay. Where does the connection go threw the firewall?
Dash reverse light where do I make the connection?
I can do a hack job but I would rather do it the way the factory did it
Thanks
Dave

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

A383Wing

Yea, OK... :brickwall:

"DASH REVERSE LIGHT" get it's power from the purple wire going back to the rear of car...tie it in at the kick panel connector