News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Big Willie daytona coming up for auction

Started by BigBlockSam, December 23, 2014, 12:19:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBlockSam

I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img

Ghoste

65post

Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

41husk

I hope who ever buys it recognizes the histoeic value of this car and does not go the OEM route :Twocents:
1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

Redmanf1

I think that car will be recognized to have more value as it is. I think doing an OEM restoration would devalue it....

fc7_plumcrazy

to me it would have had more value if it would be still untouched

Carsten

41husk

1969 Dodge Charger 500 440/727
1970 Challenger convertible 340/727
1970 Plymouth Duster FM3
1974 Dodge Dart /6/904
1983 Plymouth Scamp GT 2.2 Auto
1950 Dodge Pilot house pick up

thehemikid

The only tangent I have with this car is Gary brought it by just after he bought it from Big Willie to show me the car & for some dumb reason I didn't think to take a pic of it.

A Historic car, sitting in your driveway,  & not capturing the monent!   :icon_smile_blackeye:   :slap:   :rotz: :rotz: :rotz:

DoubleDlover

that's like finding kate upton in your bed naked in heat and for some reason you forget to fill up all her holes and use those boobies.... You regret it for the rest of your life.... :brickwall:

fy469rtse

Oh now I have to google her  :lol:
Just to make sure I'm prepared ,

JB400

Quote from: fy469rtse on December 25, 2014, 06:57:53 AM
Oh now I have to google her  :lol:
Just to make sure I'm prepared ,
She's a Sports Illustrated swimsuit model.  I'm surprised you don't know who she is. :drool5:

Ghoste

And SI is the least of her claims to fame.  :D

Old Moparz

I'm at that point of my life where making things more enjoyable is priority by avoiding headaches, so I'd take the Daytona as is over Kate Upton. Looks like a ton less maintenance.  :nana:
               Bob                

I Gotta Stop Taking The Bus

Ghoste

tan top

Quote from: Old Moparz on December 26, 2014, 11:55:07 AM
I'm at that point of my life where making things more enjoyable is priority by avoiding headaches, so I'd take the Daytona as is over Kate Upton. Looks like a ton less maintenance.  :nana:

;D yeah prolly right  :yesnod: 

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

tan top

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 

500Jon

Last time we saw him.

In da VALLEY CA.

Its a long day living on Reseda....
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Didn't see a topic on this. Was sold today - announcer said it was THE car he used to race in the sticks in SoCal.

Big Willie's Tan Daytona fetches $140k at Barrett Jackson - seems light for a Daytona, even with a 440

Drache

The car belonged to a member here at one time. I remember the owner posting pictures of when he first got the car and before the restoration.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

Ghoste

I don't know if it was THE car but it certainly was A car he raced.

Drache

I remember that the member here contacted Big Willie himself to confirm the car was actually his and stuff like that. Can anyone confirm this? I swear I read it here on our forums years back.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

moparnation74

6bblgt

Drache

Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

6bblgt

saying that Daytona was "RACED" by Big Willie is like me saying I "raced" my S/23 - sure its been down the track, but by the time he got this 3rd Daytona he already had the 8 second Barracuda

Drache

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 17, 2015, 09:26:04 PM
saying that Daytona was "RACED" by Big Willie is like me saying I "raced" my S/23 - sure its been down the track, but by the time he got this 3rd Daytona he already had the 8 second Barracuda

Hey if Big Willie himself says he "raced" the car then that is what you can tell people.

I've had my Dart down the strip twice. I can honestly say I've "raced" my car.
Dart
Racing
Ass
Chasing
Hellion
Extraordinaire

charger_fan_4ever

what was the lot # ? found it 1270.

#'s match 140k wow.would have thought way more.

1974dodgecharger

maybe its a signs of the times guys.....baby boomers dying off and now NO ONE WANTS THESE OLD CARS ANYMORE?

like I said in another discussion what happens to all the baby boomers who grew up with these cars that have emotional attachment to em are all gone who drives the prices up?  Gen y to z probably don't even care about such old cars they now got the HELLCAT  :icon_smile_big:

charger_fan_4ever

Pratts cars just wen threw.

boss 429 mustang high 400k's
hemi bird 300k.
71 hemi cuda 400k
70 hemi cuda 200k+

so there will be buyers for the hens teeth musclcars.

mind you many new shelbys ext selling for almost as much coin.

6bblgt

Quote from: Drache on January 17, 2015, 09:40:49 PM
Quote from: 6bblgt on January 17, 2015, 09:26:04 PM

Hey if Big Willie himself says he "raced" the car then that is what you can tell people.

I've had my Dart down the strip twice. I can honestly say I've "raced" my car.

Point taken, but I doubt that Daytona (ever in its life) had a sub-14 second 1/4 mile.  The facts get taken out of context & people currently believe this car to have been Big Willie's during his street racing heyday & HEMI powered - it never was.  It was a rolling piece of promotion from the late-'80s.

Cooter

" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

c00nhunterjoe

6bblgt

edited for accuracy (with buyer's commission)
Ron Pratte's cars:
Saturday
'69 boss 429 mustang $550,000
'70 hemi bird $330,000
'71 hemi cuda $440,000
'70 hemi cuda $379,500

Tuesday
'70 HEMI Charger R/T $220,000
'70 HEMI'Cuda 225,500

hatersaurusrex

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 17, 2015, 10:20:02 PM
maybe its a signs of the times guys.....baby boomers dying off and now NO ONE WANTS THESE OLD CARS ANYMORE?

like I said in another discussion what happens to all the baby boomers who grew up with these cars that have emotional attachment to em are all gone who drives the prices up?  Gen y to z probably don't even care about such old cars they now got the HELLCAT  :icon_smile_big:

I agree - I think there will always be a market for the truly rare and valuable mopars (hemicudas, wing cars, etc) but I think your average quality driver that commands 35K today might be worth 10K in the next several years.
[ŌŌ]ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ[ŌŌ] = 68
[ŌŌ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖƖ][ŌŌ] = 69
(ŌŌ)[ƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗƗ](ŌŌ) = 70

el dub

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on January 17, 2015, 10:20:02 PM

Naw, the people in Austrailia and Europe will start buying them. :D
entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ghoste

In 20 years maybe driving your own car will be illegal, who knows?

Shakey

Quote from: Ghoste on January 19, 2015, 06:24:36 AM
In 20 years maybe driving your own car will be illegal, who knows?

Think "Red Barchetta" by Rush from 1981.   :yesnod:

If you're not familiar with the song I highly suggest you have a listen.  I've told the story to my girls a few times and they explain the pictures in their head of how the story/action is played out and what the scenery looks like.

Ghoste

Local radio talking heads at the Detroit Auto Show keep yammering about the self driving cars, so...

500Jon

Sorry posted on wrong thread.
Must pay more attention LOL!

500Jon

Beep Beep Dave

I thought it would have brought more money, sold for $140k plus buyers premium for a total of $154k.
Would it have brought more money as a OE resto?

Dave
'69-1/2 SIXPACK/SIXBBL REGISTRY On-Line Registry for the Lift Off Hood cars!!!
Maple Leaf Mopars your Canadian Mopar site.

1970 Charger R/T

Ghoste

I would hope not but thats an interesting question.

WilliesDaytona

I am Gary French the Guy that bought the car from Big Willie, how do you guys know so much about the car and don't even know what color it is? It is and was Yellow over the R4 red, the car was driven and tamed by Big Willie, I have pictures of it next to the 8 second Cuda when the Cuda was no more than a stock 66 Barracuda with a wing a scoop, fake zoomies and N50s hanging out the rear, it has been confirmed in 1976 the car had the two dominator carbed Hemi with a clutchflite, then was put back with the numbers matching engine and trans that was freshened by Kieth Black, after the barracuda was built into an all out drag car in the early 80s,

rainbow4jd

Probably yes if restored.  Here's why...

Its the psychology of the ownership and the level of celebrity...

If you walk down the street and asked a 1000 people "who was big willie robinson" I bet ZERO of 1000 would know him.    If you ask "who is Don Garlitz" you'd probably get 10%.   If you asked "who is John Force." you may get 20%

Take the same car and put it up for sale by all three and it brings three different values - I think you understand why

So, you then ask the question (regardless of ownership) - "is a Daytona worth more in restored form or tricked out / customized?"   Excluding the issue of celebrity, the answer is always restored.

Therefore, to determine what to do, you simply cross the axis and cut the four quadrants.     

MOST VALUABLE:  Top right is high celebrity - restored.   
SECOND VALUABLE: Bottom right is high celebrity - high customized.   
THIRD VALUABLE:  Top left is high restored - low celebrity.     
LEAST VALUABLE:   And bottom left high customized, low celebrity.       

So even a high restored, low celebrity is greater than a high customized, low celebrity.   

PS You can argue swapping the second and third based on the level of celebrity and the customization

69_500

Gary, in your opinion should they have left the car the way it was and not restored it? I only saw it a handful of times before restoration, but it was not that bad in my opinion.

6bblgt

Quote from: WilliesDaytona on January 19, 2015, 12:20:22 PM
I am Gary French the Guy that bought the car from Big Willie, how do you guys know so much about the car and don't even know what color it is? It is and was Yellow over the R4 red, the car was driven and tamed by Big Willie, I have pictures of it next to the 8 second Cuda when the Cuda was no more than a stock 66 Barracuda with a wing a scoop, fake zoomies and N50s hanging out the rear, it has been confirmed in 1976 the car had the two dominator carbed Hemi with a clutchflite, then was put back with the numbers matching engine and trans that was freshened by Kieth Black, after the barracuda was built into an all out drag car in the early 80s,

Thanks for the info, but why wasn't any mention or public displayed proof of:
"it has been confirmed in 1976 the car had the two dominator carbed Hemi with a clutchflite" ?
Was it raced at a dragstrip in this configuration?

The car's history was clouded publicly, intentionally or unintentionally to represent it as something it was not.  Many know/believe King & Queen to be gone and this car was a tribute to one/both of them.
A few months ago, a highly respected member of the Daytona/Superbird world stated that he thought this was the car from "Two Lane Blacktop".

wingcar

Just wondering.....does anyone know what happened to the 66 Cuda drag car?   
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

Ghoste

500Jon

Big Willie brought the Tow-wagon and Race Cuda to the  'Valley' CA., three years ago for a signing session.

A true legend for the LA Folks, more than just a car Guy, a REAL Celebrity of the people..... :2thumbs:

The race-Cuda was like the race-Daytona's, not much left of the original car!

Ghoste

Depends on whether you collect vintage race vehicles or high performance street vehicles.
For me it would also depend on the status of the pedigree on the race car and the status of the celebrity.  In this case, both would appeal to a very select niche of collectors.  Willie was indeed a man of the people and celebrated by them but many of the collectors with pockets deep enough to purchase a Hemi Daytona at auction likely never met him and some would never have even heard of him.
Both a pedigreed race car and a Big Willie Daytona are important historically but trying to assign a value to either is difficult.

wingcar

Sadly I see Willie's Daytona being restored to showroom condition in the future.  (Like others have said, many don't even know Willie and his history).   It will be a sad day as when a car is returned to it's stock state, it loses it's past...... :Twocents:

WilliesDaytona

I believe the car was ruined when it got restored, with Race paint and  wheels,  , every scratch, dent and non OEM Part was the cars history, all erased for the sake of shinny paint. And erased the value of the car.....I told them not to restore it, and I don't know why some of you think this car isn't a Daytona, all 3 of Willies cars were xx29

65post

Quote from: wingcar on January 20, 2015, 08:13:23 AM
Sadly I see Willie's Daytona being restored to showroom condition in the future.  (Like others have said, many don't even know Willie and his history).   It will be a sad day as when a car is returned to it's stock state, it loses it's past...... :Twocents:
X2
Previously owned Daytona XX29L9B423239 - f8 - white int. - power windows.

6bblgt

Quote from: WilliesDaytona on January 20, 2015, 11:58:05 AM
I believe the car was ruined when it got restored, with Race paint and  wheels,  , every scratch, dent and non OEM Part was the cars history, all erased for the sake of shinny paint. And erased the value of the car.....I told them not to restore it, and I don't know why some of you think this car isn't a Daytona, all 3 of Willies cars were xx29

The comments about non-Daytona RACE Daytonas are jabs at another car - it's hard for threads to contain factual well made points (that can stand on their own) about the current subject.

500Jon

Hi WilliesDaytonaMan,

Sorry for any confusion with the Race Daytona comments.

That was more for the Nascar Daytona crowd than the Drag racing Folks.
As there were only a few Daytona Drag Cars then they are Super RARE!!!
Due to over use of ACID dipping in the early 70's, many rare cars were lost.
They just keep self destructing in all the Sheet-metal joints...to beyond repair!

Please accept my apologies for any upset my analogy may have caused you!

Big Willies surviving Daytona is a true historic car and has massive Celeb appeal to Drag fans around the World!!! :2thumbs:

rob-dirt

Quote from: 65post on January 20, 2015, 12:46:41 PM
Quote from: wingcar on January 20, 2015, 08:13:23 AM
X2

Well  X 3  :rotz: That Would Be Like me Painting Joe Dirt Best Left As Was

cdr

thanks daytonalo for the video link!!!!!!!
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Ghoste

Did anyone ask WIllie before he passed if hoped the car would be restored or if he preferred it all beat up and rusting?

tan top

more Big Willie  , stuff !!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbYgbVoIPkQ

in the link below  , there is a photo bucket link , & shows the Queen Daytona , pictures I've never seen before
http://members.boardhost.com/StreetRacer/msg/1140235290.top

Charger Stuff 

wingcar

Big Willie was truly a gentle great of a man that made a difference in a lot of lives.  He believed in God and in helping young people to stay on the right path in life.  God only knows how many lives he touched with his Brotherhood of Street Racers.   He was the right individual at the right time in the right place to take on the calling that was presented to him.  We need more people like Willie today, but sadly he was one of a kind and there will never be another.

The Daytona Charger was larger than life on the street, and a real stand out.  And, so perhaps it was fitting that he chose the Daytona for his street car as he himself was larger than life as well.  And, while all of us have a great deal of interest in the Daytona he once owned, I hope that the Daytona doesn't become his only legacy, as he stood for so much more.  The Daytona may someday be gone but his greatest legacy will always be the lives he touched.....   :Twocents:

rob-dirt

:popcrn: Dose anybody know where this car is today  :popcrn: And who ownes it  :popcrn: i was told it went to Kentucky  any help would be great  :2thumbs:

Aero426

Quote from: rob-dirt on January 28, 2016, 11:37:28 AM
:popcrn: Dose anybody know where this car is today  :popcrn: And who ownes it  :popcrn: i was told it went to Kentucky  any help would be great  :2thumbs:

For what it is worth, the man who bought it from Big Willie was in Kentucky. 

rob-dirt

Quote from: Aero426 on January 28, 2016, 11:41:17 AM
Quote from: rob-dirt on January 28, 2016, 11:37:28 AM
:popcrn: Dose anybody know where this car is today  :popcrn: And who ownes it  :popcrn: i was told it went to Kentucky  any help would be great  :2thumbs:

For what it is worth, the man who bought it from Big Willie was in Kentucky.  

yea i have been asking Gary french but no luck with a number the guy who sold it at the auction told me it went to KY

wingcarenvy

I agree that big Willie is a street race legend. Having been an LA street racer myself I know Willie well. I raced at his track in terminal island a lot back in the 90's. He was truly a proponent of getting the cars off the streets and he would roll out of bed at 2 in the morning to open the track for a single race if he knew it would get the guys off the street. I've seen his passion for helping racers get a safe place to race. For that he will always be a legend in my mind. The Richie riches at Barrett Jackson have no clue to what he was really about. He was about saving lives and changing the stereotype of racers.  I don't think willie had a car he didn't race but it was a car he owned, his king Daytona is the real celebrity and this car is really famous by association. Neat car and truly a part of the brotherhood of street racers history. Not really a part of LA street racing history though.

charger_fan_4ever

Someone got a buy on it for sure i believe around 130k vs the 90k fake barn find.

BigBlockSam

somebody got a steel . i tried to buy it from Don when it was here in jersey . he wanted a lot more then what it sound at auction for but couldn't swing it
I won't be wronged, I wont be Insulted and I wont be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to others, and I require the same from them.

[IMG]http://i45.tinypic.com/347b5v5.jpg[/img