News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New Pioneer in 70 Charger Dash.

Started by b5blue, December 26, 2014, 01:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

Just thought I'd post how I am installing a new stereo in my 70 Charger. The "peak" of the radio plate on a 70 makes this a real pain for a Single DIN install. First I cut up from the bottom of a regular radio plate then across with a Dremel tool to match the slide in holder. After fitting I had to notch away along the top a second time to remove just enough of the peak, leaving about 3/4 of an inch at both ends like tabs to hold the top edges of the holder. (The rectangle that the radio slides into.) I put tape around the radio itself to protect it from bonding to the epoxy and slid it into the locked position. On the rear of the radio plate I then filled in both sides and the top edge with JB Weld Epoxy for plastic, working it in hard packed. I promptly removed the radio and cut away any epoxy that was sticking through the holder frame.
  I found I had to widen the dash hole just a bit to clear the epoxy reinforcement and added a support tab to the dash frame in the back to help support the radio. 

b5blue

Mounting the radio as high as the radio plate would allow left a thin gap at the bottom so I attached some foam weatherstripping and painted it black on the outside edge. I also painted around the radio holder plate to cover the epoxy and frames edges and test fit everything again. It just barely clears the center dash trim panel so you must be careful but for not to much money I have a new AM/FM/CD with USB and Aux jack port to go with my new dash harness install. 

Ryan.C

thanks for the post I have to do this as soon as I get paint on my car  :2thumbs:
There are few problems in life that cannot be solved with C-4.

b5blue

Look very carefully at the radio you will use, I assumed (wrongly) that the new Pioneer would generally match my 20 year old one. Not so, the new one had no provision for that one bolt in the rear for a strap to support the backside of the deck. I was going to use a Media Player AM/FM with USB but came across this deck that included 4 speakers at Walmart for 89.99. (My Cherokee needs new speakers so I figured what the heck.) Media Players are much shorter and lighter.
  After some head scratching I came up with the tab made of angle then realized I had to cut it shorter (weaker) to clear the antenna cable in the back. I may sister another layer of angle with JB Weld to help reinforce the tab.

warpspeed

now we need someone (I guess that would be me) to do the same with our 67 B bodies, like a Belvedere.  Looks great.  Hey, after all, this car of mine will never be a trailer queen show car and I will want tunes?

b5blue

Great cars!  :2thumbs: I've no idea what that would take, 69-68 are flat in that area so it's much easier than for 70. Post a pic I'd like to see what your up against.