News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1974 440 Charger won't start

Started by 'CUDA360, March 24, 2006, 08:50:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

'CUDA360

SO I had the starter checked at Autozone and they said it was fine. Now when I try to start it with a key it just makes a slight click sound and then nothing.  Of course I pop the hood and jump the starter relay the solenoid makes the heavy click sound and a good spark comes from the relay but the starter does not wined up at all. 
The battery is strong, the connections and battery cables are clean and the starter relay is new.

I don't know the history of this car because I bought it at auction but the engine does turn over by hand so it's not locked up and the wiring looks good and not all hacked up....

Does anyone know what componants I should be replacing next.  I just want to be able to turn over the motor so I can start working on getting it running

Blue Pentastar

I would check to see if you haver a good ground on the engine side of the battery ground. I have seen my share of bad grounds from loose connections or someone painted over the area to ground to so I would take it loose and then retighten it. Have you actually taken the terminals off the battery and cleaned and reinstalled them. I have had them look fine and clean on the surface and have a black film on the terminal and inside the connector. Also if the battery connector is a replacement type take it apart where the wire goes into it and clean and reinstall. Sometimes the simple stuff we overlook trying to find the big problem.

I really hope this helps.

Mike
69 Charger White Hat Special  
04 Chrysler 300M Special
99 Ram 3500 Dually Diesel

AKcharger

Ditto...Plus have you tried jumping power right at the starter? short the two posts on the starter with a screw driver if it turns over you know the problem is somewhere in solenoid or wiring...if not Ground Low Batt or Starter...only three it can be.

Good luck

'CUDA360

Thanks guys, Nothing yet, I guess I will try the starter again.  If That works I will have to kill a certian autozoner

'CUDA360

I pulled an old starter out from under the bench, put it in and it turns over now.. go figure