News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NOS daytona grille anyone ?

Started by charger_fan_4ever, January 05, 2015, 11:29:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

A383Wing

wow....now seeing the seller, I understand the price

FJ5WING

A lot of people complain about GLs prices. If you want NOS where are you getting it? You cant just pick up the phone and call the parts dept anymore.
At least with GL youre getting real NOS not used or repop stuffed into an NOS parts box.
wingless now, but still around.

Ghoste

How many other NOS grilles are available right now?  If you contact all of them maybe you could get them in a price war against each other?

69DAYTONASE

Never seen a complete grille for sale before, but IMO 2k is a sucker price, I'd say somewhere around $400 would be fair. With all the clone cars being built this will be re-popped at some point soon I would think. Heck, last I knew the screen was available. Maybe why he is dumping it now? :shruggy: :Twocents:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

hemi68charger

out of my price range..........  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Redbird

I don't have a Daytona, and I don't need a grill.

Someone that needs one, where else is one for sale? Is it a 1K, 1.5K, or 2k part? 2K seems like a lot.

It seems like the Green car on another thread this past week where the owner wants 150K. A seller of parts must look at that and think "all those parts must be worth something? Even if it is just a 100k car, some of the parts are very specific.

I would guess no one will sell it for $400.

Buying an incomplete car needing original parts is an exercise in being upside down.

66FBCharger

Quote from: FJ5WING on January 06, 2015, 08:58:14 AM
A lot of people complain about GLs prices. If you want NOS where are you getting it? You cant just pick up the phone and call the parts dept anymore.
At least with GL youre getting real NOS not used or repop stuffed into an NOS parts box.
Who's GL?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

JB400

66FBCharger

Isn't that the guy with the big tent at Chryslers at Carlisle? He has a ton of NOS. He's not cheap, but if you need it you pay for it.
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

69 OUR/TEA

I've bought a couple things from them , yes ,they are not cheap , but if you want something NOS sometimes you have to pay.
Actually , I think I paid a fair price for an NOS 69 Charger grill (center plastic)beautifull in the orig box for $1,300. The next year they had the outer headlight buckets/extensions 1 NOS , and the other while I'd have to say used because it had a mark on it where there was a clip ,but looked as good and matched up perfectly to the NOS one for $1,200 for the pair .The one I am calling used , looks like it could have ben a take off very early on , who knows ,but dam near can pass for NOS.
So I'm into the whole grill for $2,500 with 2 of the 3 pieces def being NOS.
I must be an NOS Charger grill hoarder ,last year Carlisle bought another NOS center in the orig box again for $1,300.
Also coughed up $1,000 for NOS 70-74 Cuda wheel lip moldings , the repos fit horribly !!!!!.So , just as some say , NOS parts aren't cheap ,where are they to go buy ?

TUFCAT

To the right person, at the right time, for the "right car" someone will bite.  Probably not going to bite at the $2K list price....but my guess is most this high priced stuff gets sold off Ebay, through a simple phone call.....just look how much attention he's got from the Ebay post already.

Yes he's fishing, but someone might hit for 1/2 that price - and both could walk way happy.  :Twocents: :Twocents:

charger_fan_4ever

Got to wonder how a business selling 40+ yr old parts is still going. Who would think u could stock an inventory of 40 year old nos parts.

TUFCAT

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 06, 2015, 03:10:12 PM
Got to wonder how a business in selling 40+ yr old parts is still going. Who would think u could stock an inventory of 40 year old nos parts.

I'll try to answer that...using inflation the calculator tool. http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

If this grille was bought at the dealer for $35.00 in 1969 (no idea what it cost in '69 so its a guess)....then in 2015, that same grille should cost $225.21 at the same dealership using the inflation tool....  (inflation at 543.5%)

The seller's asking price of $2,000 represents 9X the cost of inflation in 2015 dollars...an investment opportunity worse than the stock market.

Speaking of the stock market,  Dow Jones on January 2, 1969 was $947.73........today its 15X that!  

The further my point, brand new 1969 Dodge Daytona's were being sold for about $4,5000 in 1969. Based on the current rate of "inflation" (543%),  and if automobiles stayed the same, we should be able to buy a new 2015 Daytona for $24,435 today.

However based on stock market performance a "brand new in the wrapper" Dodge Daytona would likely cost us $67,500 at the dealership today (which is nearly in line with a new Hellcat Challenger).  

So just for giggles, this grille (at 9X inflation) would cost $1,710.00....and a brand new, never used, 1969 Dodge Daytona should sell for $219,915 in the year 2015!  :icon_smile_wink:

odcics2

And just think, I have an NOS grille and frame and will be putting it on the front of my nose - with rivets, just like it was back in the day!    :2thumbs:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Ghoste

pettybird

odcics2

1RareBird

[/quote]

And the studs are clipped off...   :cheers:
[/quote]

Who the heck would clip the studs off an NOS grille?
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.

A383Wing

the studs are there, the nuts are on them

held1823

greg is going to cut the studs off of his nos grille to rivet it on the race car, if i'm following along
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

odcics2

Quote from: held1823 on January 07, 2015, 12:24:47 AM
greg is going to cut the studs off of his nos grille to rivet it on the race car, if i'm following along

Here's a little teaser photo of the original, taken in summer, 1970...
When you know how a car was, exactly, the only way to restore it is, exactly...    :Twocents:

Ghoste

Otherwise it's not a restoration it's a simulation.  :icon_smile_wink:   (that comment could come back to haunt me)

Mytur Binsdirti

At that price, you'll need all three of these.....

tan top

:popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 07, 2015, 07:12:33 AM

So how much for the Anal Ease?  :scratchchin:

odcics2

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 07, 2015, 12:30:07 PM
Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 07, 2015, 07:12:33 AM

So how much for the Anal Ease?  :scratchchin:

For 2K it should be included, AND installed - while you wait!   :eek2: :smilielol:

Mytur Binsdirti

On second thought,I have a feeling that at that price it's going be a dry boning.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 07, 2015, 04:46:45 PM
On second thought,I have a feeling that at that price it's going be a dry boning.

That's why I was wondering how much three tubes of Anal Ease would retail for?  :shruggy:

Apparently each tube should cost around $350 ...a price even the most prosperous, sophisticated, and well-financed Ebay buyers could easily "absorb".  :D

hemi-hampton

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 06, 2015, 04:05:47 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on January 06, 2015, 03:10:12 PM
Got to wonder how a business in selling 40+ yr old parts is still going. Who would think u could stock an inventory of 40 year old nos parts.

I'll try to answer that...using inflation the calculator tool. http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/

If this grille was bought at the dealer for $35.00 in 1969 (no idea what it cost in '69 so its a guess)....then in 2015, that same grille should cost $225.21 at the same dealership using the inflation tool....  (inflation at 543.5%)

The seller's asking price of $2,000 represents 9X the cost of inflation in 2015 dollars...an investment opportunity worse than the stock market.

Speaking of the stock market,  Dow Jones on January 2, 1969 was $947.73........today its 15X that!  

The further my point, brand new 1969 Dodge Daytona's were being sold for about $4,5000 in 1969. Based on the current rate of "inflation" (543%),  and if automobiles stayed the same, we should be able to buy a new 2015 Daytona for $24,435 today.

However based on stock market performance a "brand new in the wrapper" Dodge Daytona would likely cost us $67,500 at the dealership today (which is nearly in line with a new Hellcat Challenger).  

So just for giggles, this grille (at 9X inflation) would cost $1,710.00....and a brand new, never used, 1969 Dodge Daytona should sell for $219,915 in the year 2015!  :icon_smile_wink:

"However based on stock market performance a "brand new in the wrapper" Dodge Daytona would likely cost us $67,500 at the dealership today (which is nearly in line with a new Hellcat Challenger)"

Tuffcat, The base price of a new Hellcat a little cheaper then that. LEON.

TUFCAT

That's the base price but the average car won't sell for that.

odcics2

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on January 07, 2015, 04:46:45 PM

On third thought, does the price include an "E-Z Out"?

(considering it was broken off!   :shruggy:)

pettybird

TUFCAT

Doug...That's hilarious!  :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

I also love the description.....:

"What are you going to do with all this lube?! Wrestling match? Biggest adult party ever? Group parts buy from GLNOS?..... If you are looking for a simply jaw-dropping amount of lube, Passion Natural Water-Based Lubricant get's the fun started with this 55 gallon drum!"

"With its superb formula you will have a natural feel that keeps you moist longer and also works great with all toy materials and expensive Ebay parts purchases. Easily washes away with warm water and mild soap. You may never run out of lube again!"

r4daytona

Quote from: odcics2 on January 06, 2015, 04:39:15 PM
And just think, I have an NOS grille and frame and will be putting it on the front of my nose - with rivets, just like it was back in the day!    :2thumbs:

Ok, somebody help me out here.  I thought the Daytonas had studs welded to the backside of the top of the frame that fit into holes in the top of the nose and them some screws for the bottom portion of the frame??  If I remember correctly, Bob Malcohms Daytona at the Nats this summer was as I described.  So someone correct me if I am wrong  - confused on this now. 

69DAYTONASE

Correct.....studs on top, screws on bottom. So this NOS one "looks" to be the real deal. :2thumbs: But it should include above said lube ass an accessory if anyone buys it for that much! :shruggy:

(Caution, you may want to wrap your head with duct tape before reading the sarcastic humor below) ::)

However, if there isn't documentation from all previous owners as well as the factory paperwork ordering the part/box/AND labeling to be made and printed, it cannot be verified and/or certified as an authentic NOS part. Plus it is missing the original mounting screws, and assuming it can be authenticated, mounting it with aftermarket screws that were not used on a real Daytona as original equipment would be deceptive, and the car should never be certified gold! In fact, a record of the VIN of the car owned by whoever buys it should be recorded with acknowledged authorities in the hobby.
:slap: :smilielol: :smilielol:
"My other car is a farm tractor"

TUFCAT

The auction listing has been ended....so it looks like somebody hit that bait.  :shruggy:

A383Wing

didn't sell, no bids..auction just ended with nobody buying it

odcics2

Quote from: r4daytona on January 13, 2015, 03:11:39 PM

Ok, somebody help me out here.  I thought the Daytonas had studs welded to the backside of the top of the frame that fit into holes in the top of the nose and them some screws for the bottom portion of the frame??  If I remember correctly, Bob Malcohms Daytona at the Nats this summer was as I described.  So someone correct me if I am wrong  - confused on this now. 

Sleep well, mine's a race car. I also have vintage photos to show it as being riveted. And I have the original, rusted out piece.

Street versions have studs and holes. 

Ghoste

Quote from: A383Wing on January 13, 2015, 07:21:47 PM
didn't sell, no bids..auction just ended with nobody buying it

What!!!??  C'mon, that's just crazy talk.

moparnation74

Quote from: odcics2 on January 14, 2015, 05:43:21 AM
Quote from: r4daytona on January 13, 2015, 03:11:39 PM

Sleep well, mine's a race car. I also have vintage photos to show it as being riveted. And I have the original, rusted out piece.

Street versions have studs and holes. 
:smilielol: