News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Disc brake Spindles

Started by BlueSS454, December 05, 2005, 06:10:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlueSS454

So far I've found a wealth of info on this topic here.  I'm running into a bit of a problem though.  I have not been able to locate a pair of the 73-76 A Body spindles in the local junkyards.  I found a car in 1 yard, but the spindles were already gone, I found a 73 Duster in another yard, but the guy wants $100 per spindle, and that's just for the spindle, no caliper, no rotor, no caliper bracket which I think is a bit high.
The only other cars I have found are a couple late 70's Aspens, 2 Volares 79 & 80, and an early 80's Fifth Avenue.  Will any of those spindle work?  I can get those spindles for $20 each.  I'm just trying to do this swap without spending $900 for a whole aftermarket kit.
Tom Rightler

bull

They'll work, depending on your opinion of the spindle's center point being taller than stock height. There are experts on both sides of that camp, half of whom will tell you that you and your entire family will die a fiery death if you use the Volarie/Aspen/5th Ave. spindles while the other half says it helps improve everything from steering to fuel mileage and sexual stamina. I know there are lots of people out there who have used the Volarie/Aspen/5th Ave. spindles but I'm sure it depends on how they are used too. If you've got lots of time on your hands you can read all of this: http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=2098376&page=0&fpart=1&vc=1&nt=3 Basically it's some of the afore-mentioned experts (yes, real experts) arguing the case. They haven't reached a conclusion either.

694spdRT

Quote from: bull on December 06, 2005, 11:28:26 AM
There are experts on both sides of that camp, half of whom will tell you that you and your entire family will die a fiery death if you use the Volarie/Aspen/5th Ave. spindles while the other half says it helps improve everything from steering to fuel mileage and sexual stamina.

:smilielol:

That last improvement you mentioned definately tips the scales.  :icon_smile_big:
1968 Charger 383 auto
1969 Charger R/T 440 4 speed
1970 Charger 500 440 auto
1972 Challenger 318
1976 W200 Club Cab 4x4 400 auto 
1978 Ramcharger 360 auto
2001 Durango SLT 4.7L (daily driver)
2005 Ram 2500 4x4 Big Horn Cummins Diesel 6 speed
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Hemi

BlueSS454

I can speak with some experience on putting taller spindles on cars.  I've put the late model B-Body GM spindles on a Chevelle, and it works just fine.  The only thing you need to do is adjust the alignment specs slightly and the handling improves dramatically since the cars center of gravity has become lower to the ground.  You also need to install a special lower ball joint to accept the late model GM spindle which is no biggie.  I'm willing to be a guinea pig for this swap on the Charger.  I'll go grab the spindles off the Volare on Saturday and go from there.
Tom Rightler

Chryco Psycho

it seems a lot of people have use the taller spindle with no problems & It shouldl be OK assuming you are not constantly cycling the suspension to its limits     

ChargerBill

Quote from: BlueSS454 on December 06, 2005, 08:24:04 PM
I'm willing to be a guinea pig for this swap on the Charger.  

Please don't put it THAT way...sheesh :icon_smile_big:

A lot of B-body guys have used the taller FMJ body spindles without a SINGLE incident. You'll be fine...and the upside is that FMJ bodies and spindles are still plentiful.
Life is a highway...

BlueSS454

Tall spindles it is then  :yesnod:  I just finished up the welding on the lower corners of the rear window, waiting on some new quarters, tail panel, and outer wheel houses.  I want to start accumulating parts to bolt back on when I am ready to take it off the rotisserie.
Tom Rightler

Steve P.

I can tell you that we put Volarie spindles on Vegas Mikes 68' Charger and he swears it's helped his sexual stamina... ;D

They work just fine.. Go for it..  :yesnod:
Steve P.
Holiday, Florida

Charger_Fan

Quote from: 694spdRT on December 06, 2005, 02:22:53 PM
Quote from: bull on December 06, 2005, 11:28:26 AM
There are experts on both sides of that camp, half of whom will tell you that you and your entire family will die a fiery death if you use the Volarie/Aspen/5th Ave. spindles while the other half says it helps improve everything from steering to fuel mileage and sexual stamina.

:smilielol:

That last improvement you mentioned definately tips the scales.   :icon_smile_big:
Now THAT was funny!! :smilielol:

The Aquamax...yes, this bike spent 2 nights underwater one weekend. (Not my doing), but it gained the name, and has since become pseudo-famous. :)

ChargerBill

We need a NEW icon... a smiley digging up a grave so we can post it everytime someone digs one of the ancient thread up again...LOL
Life is a highway...