News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wellborn Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, January 08, 2015, 05:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taxspeaker

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/lowest-mile-original-1969-dodge-charger-daytona-is-heading-to-auction-photo-gallery-90859.html

They are saying $800,000 potential price. I think not since aero cars seem down, even though chargers are hot sellers for the last few years.

6bblgt

HEMI 'Birds have about doubled in the past two years - the rarer HEMI Daytonas don't hit the public market as often - I agree $800K is ambitious - I guess we'll see.

TUFCAT

Hell, I hope the Daytona sells 3X that amount!!  :yesnod:  Let me explain....

First of all, Wellborn's auction should help everyone already owning a Mopar. We've seen lower than usual prices paid at auction lately so this collection should do well to correct that.  These are very significant cars -  that would normally never be offered to the public at any price.

In the background I'm sure some ultra rare cars have changed hands amongst some high level private collectors.....but not these cars. They're going to be sold publicly. Top dollar sales like this don't usually get disclosed to the public, which is why this auction will be significant to watch.  

Big sales numbers help everyone the market and attract vendors who make parts for our hobby.  I see no reason not to boost our collector car economy with good strong money paid, for strong blue chip quality cars.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 08, 2015, 05:37:33 PM
Hell, I hope the Daytona sells 3X that amount!!  :yesnod:  Let me explain....

Fixed.    :icon_smile_big:

Aero426

The two most recent Hemi Superbirds have pulled over $500,000 at auction.     This is the first Hemi 4-speed Daytona to come up to bat in a long time.    I think it will do very well.  

moparnation74

We may see a Daytona creep into the seven figure category! :popcrn:

TUFCAT

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 08, 2015, 09:17:40 PM
We may see a Daytona creep into the seven figure category! :popcrn:

I'm all for that  :2thumbs:

Daytona Enthusiast

My first Spring Fling 20 plus years ago. I didn't think the red velvet rope treatment
was a good idea, later in the day I watched a kid get away from a parent and almost
go into the ropes... Luckily manager Jerry Sewell was standing between the car and
kid...

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

The 'ground up' look at the nose is not flattering...     :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemigeno

:drool5:

Blue chip car, for sure.  It'll be interesting to see on which side of 7 figures the gavel falls.

VERY minor detail (sorta like giving fashion advice to a supermodel), but I noticed that the red stripe tires have been on at least since Mr. Chandler's ownership - wonder if someone just preferred those over the U64 white stripes the B-sheet calls out?

pettybird

Quote from: odcics2 on January 09, 2015, 05:51:29 PM
The 'ground up' look at the nose is not flattering...     :Twocents:

'Birds do it a lot better, but yeah best to keep the camera a half a foot higher for front end shots.

FJMG

Hmmmmmm......now I would like to see it with the white stripe tires, might actually look good with that white wing.
Soooooo all I have to do is buy it and change the tires! Great.

Let me check my pockets.........darn, not enough.

I could write a check..........

But it would bounce damn near to mars.

Might have enough to buy the "white-out" to temporarily cover the red!

6bblgt

Quote from: hemigeno on January 09, 2015, 06:24:29 PMVERY minor detail (sorta like giving fashion advice to a supermodel), but I noticed that the red stripe tires have been on at least since Mr. Chandler's ownership - wonder if someone just preferred those over the U64 white stripes the B-sheet calls out?

Anyone have a good pic of the tires?  From these pics, they appear to be Firestones :shruggy:

Goodyear POLYGLAS F70-15 "red streak" were STANDARD on '69 HEMI cars, Goodyear POLYGLAS F70-15 "white stripe" were OPTIONAL at no-charge. These are fiberglass-belted tires, instead of the nylon-cord SPEEDWAYS that '68 HEMI b-bodies used.
GG has Firestones listed in his "white books" as original on HEMI Daytonas & I always wondered why - AFAIK Firestone did NOT have a fiberglass belted tire available at the time of Daytona production.  I wonder if this car with it's custom paint & L88 hood had Corvette spec. Firestone red-line in the trunk & that fact (& low miles) morphed into the Firestone & OE claim??

Any ideas?

moparfan

I want to do a clone of that Daytona great color combo.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 09, 2015, 08:46:05 PM
Quote from: hemigeno on January 09, 2015, 06:24:29 PMVERY minor detail (sorta like giving fashion advice to a supermodel), but I noticed that the red stripe tires have been on at least since Mr. Chandler's ownership - wonder if someone just preferred those over the U64 white stripes the B-sheet calls out?

Anyone have a good pic of the tires?  From these pics, they appear to be Firestones :shruggy:

Goodyear POLYGLAS F70-15 "red streak" were STANDARD on '69 HEMI cars, Goodyear POLYGLAS F70-15 "white stripe" were OPTIONAL at no-charge. These are fiberglass-belted tires, instead of the nylon-cord SPEEDWAYS that '68 HEMI b-bodies used.
GG has Firestones listed in his "white books" as original on HEMI Daytonas & I always wondered why - AFAIK Firestone did NOT have a fiberglass belted tire available at the time of Daytona production.  I wonder if this car with it's custom paint & L88 hood had Corvette spec. Firestone red-line in the trunk & that fact (& low miles) morphed into the Firestone & OE claim??

Any ideas?

Dan, this car was restored by Gibson, and it was basically his first Mopar he cut his teeth on, prior to that Gibson was doing Vettes for many years, so perhaps Gibson is the one that shod the car with Firestone Redlines?

Here's some photos of "back in the day" before Otis C./Gibson  got their hands on it, the car had some personality then, now "restored" it looks like a large pinched off turd with all that browm :icon_smile_blackeye:
Mike

Redbird

Almost always I prefer 1970's paint schemes to all the cars that look the same today.

I really liked the L88 hood on the before shots.

Plus the deep dish Cragars. Or Keystones, Americans, or better yet Moto-Wheels.

Butt in this particular case which Brown paint scheme is the pinched off one, before or after?

I'm kind of fine with the inside and outside browns as it is today.

FJ5WING

I guess I disagree with most of you all. :shruggy:

I generally dislike the day 2 paint jobs and LOVE the stock look, I also dislike the tan interior. That being said I wont turn away any chance to own a Daytona.
wingless now, but still around.

charge69

My Charger came with "U65 F70-15 Fiber" per my build sheet and I bought a set of Coker F70-15 Firestone Wide Oval Fiberglass tires for it. These tires were made and on cars, as I remember, as early as 1967 and that is what Coker Tire says about its' repros.  I bought my Charger in 1976 and the original tires were long gone so, I cannot say for certain that the Firestone tires or Goodyear tires came on it from the factory. I believe the Firestone tires to be correct and that is just my opinion.

I think this particular Daytona would look better with whitewall tires on it and do not understand why it has redline tires on it now. 

Here is a link to the Coker tire and a picture of my Charger with them on it.

https://www.cokertire.com/f70-15-firestone-wide-oval-redline.html

TUFCAT

All factory installed white letters tires on Mopar muscle cars should be Goodyear....period, end of story.  :yesnod:

All white-stripe or "whiteline" tires should also be Goodyear Custom Wide Tread or "Speedway Wide Tread" (I'm not sure but I believe that was the same tire)?

I can't say for sure on Redline tires. I believe most Redline tires on Mopars were also Goodyear Custom Wide Tread, but Hemigeno swears Firestones were installed on his Daytona, so I have no reason to doubt him based on all of his research.

As a side note Chrysler installed very few Firestone brand tires on its cars. However Ford was consistently using Firestones on new vehicles.  The first high production Chrysler product (I'm aware of) wearing Firestone tires from the factory was the Omni/Horizon in 1978...  

stripedelete

I have the original redline spare in my charger.  It's a Firestone.

6bblgt

Most "performance" a-bodies from '68-'69 were equipped with Firestones (WIDE OVAL) these were NYLON cord tires.

The '69 "performance" b-body model year started with Goodyear NYLON cord red or white stripe F70-14 tires (SPEEDWAY) STANDARD with red stripe Goodyear fiberglass-belted (POLYGLAS) OPTIONAL.
During the second half of the '69 model year some "performance" b-bodies also received Firestone NYLON cord red or white stripe F70-14 tires (WIDE OVAL).

********* WAG - I wonder if Goodyear cut production of the lesser SPEEDWAY to devote more manufacturing capacity to the far superior POLYGLAS? :scratchchin: Forcing Chrysler Corp. to purchase WIDE OVALs?
If HemiGeno's Daytona is a T83 red stripe "NYLON" tire car then the FIRESTONES are likely correct, if it is a T85 red stripe "fiberglass-belted" tire car it would be GOODYEAR.

ALL 1968/1969 OE fiberglass-belted tires (GM, FoMoCo, Chrysler Corp.) are GOODYEAR POLYGLAS

Chrysler Corp.'s 1970 model year performance "white stripe" & "RWL" tires (70 series & 60 series) are all GOODYEAR POLYGLAS

I believe the FIRESTONE fiberglass belted 60/70-series WIDE OVAL made its debut around January of '70 (prior to that they were all "NYLON" cord).

6bblgt

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 10, 2015, 06:48:48 PM
All factory installed white letters tires on Mopar muscle cars should be Goodyear....period, end of story.  :yesnod:

This is ONLY true for 1969-1972