News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wellborn Hemi Daytona

Started by taxspeaker, January 08, 2015, 05:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

Stunning car which ever way you look at it! :drool5: :drool5: :drool5:

Got to be in the realms of Hemi Cuda Ragtop money surely?
I've been blessed by the God of Mopars, as I have worked on both a Hemi 4-speed Daytona and a 71 Hemi Cuda Ragtop... :2thumbs: :2thumbs: :2thumbs:
Never wanted to own the cars myself, just happy to be able to help them along the way to Stardom!

Pinched turd maybe a bit strong, more a dropped and stood on Saveloy?

If I win the Lottory I won't be buying it myself, more fun buying a Spitfire!

Looney LiMeY 5J :dance:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

hemigeno

[thread hijack]

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 10, 2015, 06:48:48 PM
Hemigeno swears Firestones were installed on his Daytona, so I have no reason to doubt him based on all of his research.

I'm not sure where this came from, but I don't recall having made the statement about my car having Firestones originally.  The car's original owner doesn't remember what the car had on it (apart from being redlines), and they were long gone by the time Owner #2 stepped into the picture even after only +/-22,000 miles.  I think Owner #1 did a little lot of   :drive:

In 2012, my car went through the OE judging wearing a vintage set of Goodyear Custom Wide Tread redlines.  It's admittedly wearing Firestone repops now, but that's because AFAIK they don't make a Goodyear repop and I'm not tooling anywhere other than on/off the trailer on 46 year old tires (tyres, for 500Jon's benefit  :P ).

Tom, were you referring to this thread where maxwellwedge/Jim B. mentions two of his cars that had original Firestone spares?

[/thread hijack]

Back to the original subject... once Mike/Dayclona posted those photos of the Chandler/Wellborn car with the L88 hood, I remembered seeing them or similar shots before.  Great look for the car back then!  I'm surprised they didn't leave the Hemi door badges on back then though, even with the custom paintjob.  If I ever had the photos, they were lost when my computer's hard drive did a meltdown back in 2007.  Those photos also explain why the car was wearing a '70 Charger ribbed hood when the fresh stock resto was first unveiled by Otis C.  I don't remember seeing any photos of the hood's leading edge since Tim W. has owned the car, although I was at MCACN in 2012 when Tim brought it (and some other really cool iron too) to the show.  Never thought to look.  They could have changed the hood out long before now.

Redbird

When Otis Chandler had the Daytona, he had a giant poster of the Daytona displayed behind the actual car. He had a similar poster display behind his green Packard 12-cylinder boattail speedster. Did he have a commercial artist make up those posters? I suppose they could have been paintings? Likely blow-ups of drawn art though, not that Otis Chandler couldn't have whatever he wanted made up. What happened to the posters?

500Jon

Good point bringing up Tyres(tires) back in 1969!

What were the tire manufacturers doing in 1969, did they not see Nascar?
Why were they only supplying the Car-makers with barely road-legal wheel-barrow TIRES!!!
You go to the Dodge showroom and put down a heap of money on 425hp flying machine with shopping trolley wheels on it?
6 x 15 rims with hi-profile rubber-bands!!!

I'm surprised after the first Winter of 69/70 any hemi-cars survived at all? :rofl: :bump: :drive:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Daytona Enthusiast

It'll be interesting to see what the car goes for. The last Hemi 4speed I saw
for sale was on Rich P's collectorcarconnection site in the 600's...

Daytona Enthusiast

:2thumbs:

6bblgt

TEAL??  :icon_smile_cool: my color-blind grandfather would've thought it was teal also  :rofl: not like it's Q5  :shruggy:

hemigeno

I had to look it up...

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: 500Jon on January 12, 2015, 11:16:52 AM

I'm surprised after the first Winter of 69/70 any hemi-cars survived at all? :rofl: :bump: :drive:

With the crappy quality sheetmetal, poor water drainage & lack of galvanization, after the 4th or 5th winter, most cars from all manufacturers were pretty much junk, or when the odometer hit 80,000 miles; whichever came first. Those that did survive are true miracles.

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

HANDM

My Charger and Challenger survived mainly due to a combination of factory or dealer installed undercoat and major oil leaks that the owners felt weren't worth fixing......  :lol:

charger_fan_4ever

TUFCAT

Quote from: hemigeno on January 12, 2015, 09:53:57 AM
In 2012, my car went through the OE judging wearing a vintage set of Goodyear Custom Wide Tread redlines.  It's admittedly wearing Firestone repops now, but that's because AFAIK they don't make a Goodyear repop and I'm not tooling anywhere other than on/off the trailer on 46 year old tires (tyres, for 500Jon's benefit  :P ).

Sorry Geno,

With reference to the redline Firestone tire issue (or "tyre" for 500jon  :D....hee hee)  I musta' thought I learned that information from you, or at least from your restoration thread  :scratchchin:.  Anyway, the red-line Daytona spare in the trunk probably rang a bell for me. :icon_smile_wink:  I'd be willing to bet it Firestone's were used, it was something as simple as a supply issue without any particular rhyme or reason. 

6bblgt

Coker Tire makes reproduction Firestones
Kelsey Tire makes reproduction Goodyears

All available 1969 Charger 500-Daytona-R/T tires (sort-of) are available in reproduction:
T82 white F70-14 nylon cord (Goodyear SPEEDWAY, Firestone WIDE OVAL*)
T83 red F70-14 nylon cord (Goodyear SPEEDWAY, Firestone WIDE OVAL*)
T85 red F70-14 fiberglass belted (Goodyear POLYGLAS)
U64 white F70-15 fiberglass belted (Goodyear POLYGLAS)
U65 red F70-15 fiberglass belted (Goodyear POLYGLAS)

* Firestone did not change the "WIDE OVAL" name when the design changed from nylon cord to fiberglass belted, what they did change was the "sub-title" on the tire's sidewall.
The nylon cord tires were "Deluxe Champion" & the fiberglass belted were "SUP-R-BELT" (the F70-14 Coker reproductions are 1970s "SUP-R-BELT")

& Goodyear's sidewall had the SPEEDWAY "Wide Tread" & POLYGLAS "Custom Wide Tread" text.

Daytona Enthusiast

Quote from: Redbird on January 12, 2015, 10:32:23 AM
When Otis Chandler had the Daytona, he had a giant poster of the Daytona displayed behind the actual car. He had a similar poster display behind his green Packard 12-cylinder boattail speedster. Did he have a commercial artist make up those posters? I suppose they could have been paintings? Likely blow-ups of drawn art though, not that Otis Chandler couldn't have whatever he wanted made up. What happened to the posters?
Otis Chandler talked about the murals on a two part episode of the PBS show
World of Collector Cars on PBS...

TPR

Quote from: hemigeno on January 13, 2015, 11:00:58 AM
I had to look it up...

Thanks for the explanation. I was puzzled too.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Aero426

Quote from: Daytona Enthusiast on January 13, 2015, 10:45:07 PM

Pretty sure it was made of fabric or tapestry.    I seem to remember seeing it when the car was at Tim's house.      

Daytona Enthusiast

Quote from: Aero426 on January 14, 2015, 09:47:08 AM
Quote from: Daytona Enthusiast on January 13, 2015, 10:45:07 PM

Pretty sure it was made of fabric or tapestry.    I seem to remember seeing it when the car was at Tim's house.     

Daytona Enthusiast

The man of the hour...the Daytona came to the show in an enclosed trailer. Otis
came in his Hemi convertible.

A383Wing

Quote from: Aero426 on January 14, 2015, 09:47:08 AM

Pretty sure it was made of fabric or tapestry.    I seem to remember seeing it when the car was at Tim's house.      

yes, it was a tapestry...got some pretty good video of it when it was at 'Dega in 99

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: stripedelete on January 10, 2015, 08:43:58 PM
I have the original redline spare in my charger.  It's a Firestone.

Yep Redlines are what my 500  ( 14 in.) had on it till about 10 K or so. I even had one of the original tires till I moved and did a major clean out. :slap:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

Are the repo Goodyears the OEM tread width or the one you'd buy at the dealership, after the fact ?   A good 1/2" difference!!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

6bblgt

Quote from: odcics2 on January 18, 2015, 02:35:15 PM
Are the repo Goodyears the OEM tread width or the one you'd buy at the dealership, after the fact ?   A good 1/2" difference!!

c'mon man  :cheers: get it off your chest, what do you really want to say or ask?  & You'll probably have to ask about a specific size tire and application .....

AFAIK all tires are not created equal & the specs for measuring them is not an industry STANDARD, that being said .....

mid-'60s Corvette 7.75 x 15 tires are different dimensionally than the same tire on a full size station wagon & Goodyear may or may not have supported that fact thru their franchised Goodyear Tire dealer stores.

superbirdtom

Quote from: Daytona Enthusiast on January 14, 2015, 11:10:26 PM

I seem to remember this convert for sale in the san Fernando valley back in 86 or thereabouts for $13.500.00    and people were saying that was too much, boy I remember a hemi ragtop 69 gtx for 5 grand with a 383 in it and a hemi 69 green on green runner for 5 grand and a black on black 69 hemi runner for 5k. lime green superbird for 3k  etc etc . that was a good time to buy.

Daytona Enthusiast

Quote from: superbirdtom on January 18, 2015, 03:13:08 PM
Quote from: Daytona Enthusiast on January 14, 2015, 11:10:26 PM

I seem to remember this convert for sale in the san Fernando valley back in 86 or thereabouts for $13.500.00    and people were saying that was too much, boy I remember a hemi ragtop 69 gtx for 5 grand with a 383 in it and a hemi 69 green on green runner for 5 grand and a black on black 69 hemi runner for 5k. lime green superbird for 3k  etc etc . that was a good time to buy.
Otis's Hemi came straight from Canada along with his Plum Crazy 70 Hemi Challenger
convertible and Greg's Pink 70 Hemi Cuda. I hear ya Tom ,there's a lot of
super cool cars that are way way off the radar...