News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Wings plucked for race!

Started by odcics2, January 08, 2015, 09:08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

odcics2

I bet some guys didn't know this happened!
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on January 08, 2015, 09:08:15 PM
I bet some guys didn't know this happened!

I'm one of those.......... Very humorous to say the least.......... Fords & Chevy's ( and if they were there then, Toyotas ) =  :'(
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

This is the flightless Superbird from the June 1970 race at Talladega.    The other driver in the Ford Talladega is Ron Grana.    

Aero426

Aero426

Thanks to PettyMower for the articles.

JB400

Looks like he kept the rear window plug.  I wonder how much that alone helped him?

Aero426

Quote from: JB400 on January 08, 2015, 10:22:16 PM
Looks like he kept the rear window plug.  I wonder how much that alone helped him?

Yes, he kept the rear plug and A-post trim.    Right after this race, he pulled off the 70 Road Runner front clip and it went back to a Superbird.   The whole Superbird nose and fenders are all fastened together as one piece, so it was a pretty easy swap. 

Aero426

This photo is shortly after the Talladega race.   Taken at Milwaukee in July of 70 and the car is once again a Superbird.   Ramo is the crew chief here and Lem Blankenship is the driver.   Ramo was running full time in ARCA and Lem was running for Ramo in USAC.     

Anyway, if you look at the roof, it has a cartoon of a Road Runner with no wings walking around in his underwear and the phrase "Tennessee Bird Walk!".  The lettering on the car made reference to ARCA clipping the wings on the Superbird.   It also was the name of a popular novelty song in 1970 which you will now have to listen to.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5nwv-tYngc

tan top

never knew about this !! good info/ interesting  , thanks for sharing  :cheers: :2thumbs:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

TUFCAT

Wow I don't know what's more amazing, the history I learn here....or the fact that you aero guys know just about everything:2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

pettybird

Highwaystar

Sounds like Chevys and Fords were blowing up all around him in the newspaper article. Poor guy couldn't draft with anyone because brand X couldn't keep there sxxt together..
68 GTX Convertible
69.5 Road Runner
69 Charger 500

T.J

thehemikid

I was in the 7th grade in Tenn in 1970. Moved to Ky after the 8th. That song was popular to them. My class would sing is occasionally. At the ending of the song they would sing "churp, churp" after the words "Tennessee bird walk".

There was a white Superbird 9 miles away in a trailer park in Cumberland City. Spotted it one day while riding my bike to go fishing.  Never got over it.

But never thought that there would be a closer reference/use of the word "bird" in the song and the cars.

F6Bee

Great stuff, really enjoy the knowledge here on the aero cars.  Much appreciated.

Rick. :cheers:

A383Wing

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 09, 2015, 01:25:33 PM
Wow I don't know what's more amazing, the history I learn here....or the fact that you aero guys know just about everything:2thumbs: :coolgleamA:

or that you would "hit" just about anything....   :nana:

Ghoste

I don't know Bryan, I've met him and in the cat world he truly is a tom among toms.

500Jon

WoW,

What is that 'above' bumper Shorty NOSECONE???
Was that a halfway house between a Bird and a Runner?
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

JB400

Window screening like what's on your screen door and storm windows.

500Jon

Hi Jb, not the screen the actual shorty NOSECONE!!!
Its mounted above the Chrome bumper??? :scratchchin:
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Aero426

Couple days ago,  I found the little Vulcan statue in an antique mall locally.   He came home with me.    You can see him on the top right of the program cover.     I have not yet brushed up on my modeling skills to cheat up the Road Runner front end on the slot car.   

Aero426

Mr. Vulcan,  Roman god of fire and forge.      The real Vulcan statue was cast in Birmingham Alabama.   It's the largest cast iron statue in the world.   It was displayed at the 1904 Worlds Fair and reassembled in Birmingham where it can be seen as a landmark today.   

Aero426

Program cover

Ghoste

Thats cool.  Except that it takes away from the originality of course, it would be funny to have him glued to the dash in the Superbird like a St. Christopher statue.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on February 26, 2015, 10:59:12 AM
Thats cool.  Except that it takes away from the originality of course, it would be funny to have him glued to the dash in the Superbird like a St. Christopher statue.

:smilielol:

TUFCAT

Right next to the compass of course... :rofl:

odcics2

Next thing ya know, he'll be giving it a Vulcan mind probe!   :shruggy:    :lol:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?