News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

50th Charger reunion

Started by charger207, January 11, 2015, 03:52:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charger207

Has there been any discussion on this forum about a location for a 50th Charger reunion?  I posted the info below to the yahoo 66-67 charger email group.  There was a straw poll taken there for a location.  Auburn Hills (the location for the 45th First-Gen Charger reunion) but there were very few voters.  .  I would like to start a discussion on a 50th here.

The results of the staw poll seeking a preferred reunion site for 2016 are complete. The voting was low but the preference seemed to lean toward Auburn Hills. Since I was asked to inquire about what Carlisle would offer I did contact them before the poll. But they were closed for the Holidays.
Yesterday I spoke with a representative and he seemed very interested in the idea that Carlisle could host the reunion. While it is still early in their planning for 2016, he was already considering a special event to commemorate the 50th year of the street Hemi. I reminded him that the 1966 Charger was the introductory car for the Hemi and that this could be a dual celebration. He seemed to like the idea and was very interested in ways to make a reunion pleasant and memorable for us. I asked what they had done for other organizations and he mentioned a few. They would be happy to provide a central location for the First Gens including tents or even a pavilion for our use. We could decide how we would like to use it... highlight special cars, discussions on the First Gen, whatever (here is where I would need input from our members for ideas). He offered to help line up people, and, organizations, or businesses that we might need (catering, group photo, etc). But his main position was that, what one group enjoys may not interest another group. So he was much more open to the idea that we make suggestions. Carlisle Events would try to make them happen the way we would like, if possible. He even felt a parade to the event grounds (similar to the one we had for the 40th at Auburn Hills) could be possible. (Those of you who have been to Carlisle know how much more complicated this can be on public streets so I was impressed with his acceptance of the idea). In addition, he said Chrysler Corp (or whatever it's called now!) has shown an increased interest in Carlisle Chryslers in recent years had expressed a specific interest in the Hemi 50th (Since that is apparently the only point he has discussed with them). So it seem reasonable that they would support a First Gen reunion. Having Chrysler involved would be a big boost. He said Chrysler might show a lot if interest in the Charger 50th since the Charger is currently a production car (Let's face it...it's all about sales).
So I am asking if this group (and I will be posting to other First-Gen and Charger groups) is interested in perusing a commitment with Carlisle. Should I explore this further? He said he would need a solid commitment by the end of summer 2015 (August?). Or is Auburn Hills still the preferred location?
I would appreciate it if those with an interest will join the discussion at 66-67-dodge-chargers@yahoogroups.com

Terry Hoover

Ghoste

I'd go to Auburn Hills for sure.  (depending on date)

A383Wing

Terry, your link at the bottom is an email link, not to the Yahoo Group

Bryan

RIDELIKEHELL

I'm an hour to Auburn Hills from Canada  :icon_smile_big:
AMD POSTER BOY

1968 CHARGER R/T  http://www.youtube.com/user/ridelikehell73

Dino

I'll be in the PA program starting 2016 but Auburn Hills is close enough to make.   :yesnod:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

TexasStroker

So are you just wanting 1st Gen Chargers, or is this something you want all Chargers to celebrate?

I doubt many would be interested, but I'd be willing to set something up in Palo Duro Canyon where I do Chryslers in the Canyon (and have pushed for Chargers in the Canyon)...

If you are set on something in Carlisle, or Auburn Hills etc., I can't do much to help, BUT I can forward this on to some folks at Chrysler and help spread the word...

1st Gen, or 1st thru 3rd it sounds like a good time  :cheers:
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

charger207

My questions were about a location for a celebration of the 50th Charger anniversary but I never intended to imply it was just for 1st Gen Chargers.  If that came across too strong I apologize. 

Well guys and gals... I've been poking, probing, and watching comments on several different internet sites regarding a location for the 50th Charger Anniversary and the results are close but the edge seems to go to the CEMA show in Auburn Hills.  Carlisle has positives and negatives and CEMA has a history.  Both plan some kind of memorable event no matter what we on these websites decide.  And I'm sure there will be other shows all over the world that will carry a Charger theme.
While it may not be the preference of all members, let's start focusing our efforts on Auburn Hills, having a good time, and making this the best ever. 

FJ6N96

I would prefer a Carlisle venue since I live in the vicinity, for a 50th show reunion sounds interesting.  Where is Auburn Hills?  I'll need directions.

FJ6N96
:cheers:

charger207

no big rush for directions just yet but Auburn Hills is near Detroit. I'm sure there will be lots of discussions and specific directions when 2016 comes around. BTW I'm close to Carlisle too...Bloomsburg. where are you? I've been talking to the Carlisle people and they are planning a celebration for the 50th even if this or other groups go to Auburn Hills.

charge69

OK, I am serious about this:  Why does it have to go to a northeast corner of the U.S. when there are plenty of Charger owners who would love to attend but, those places are just too far away to realistically attend ? Some other owners besides the local "in-crowd' might actually like to attend this ! Isn't there an acceptable place somewhere near the middle of the country ? 

What would be the matter with an all-Charger meet held, say, at Kansas Speedway just outside Kansas City ?  Still a long way for me and a number of other Charger owners but ... Carlisle or Auburn Hills ?  Really ?  At least KC would be a little friendlier for more Charger folks.  A date might be able to be worked out that doesn't conflict with the Carlisle or Auburn Hills meets so those that want to attend those will be able to go.

Carlisle or Auburn Hills ??     Just sayin'..................

familymopar

Quote from: charge69 on February 09, 2015, 04:36:08 PM
OK, I am serious about this:  Why does it have to go to a northeast corner of the U.S. when there are plenty of Charger owners who would love to attend but, those places are just too far away to realistically attend ? Some other owners besides the local "in-crowd' might actually like to attend this ! Isn't there an acceptable place somewhere near the middle of the country ? 

What would be the matter with an all-Charger meet held, say, at Kansas Speedway just outside Kansas City ?  Still a long way for me and a number of other Charger owners but ... Carlisle or Auburn Hills ?  Really ?  At least KC would be a little friendlier for more Charger folks.  A date might be able to be worked out that doesn't conflict with the Carlisle or Auburn Hills meets so those that want to attend those will be able to go.

I agree!  Carlisle or Auburn Hills would be a brutal drive for me, one that could not likely be a "weekend trip".  I would love something more central, but I do see the allure of both Carlisle and Auburn Hills.  I wish the big Boerne meet was still happening.  That is a hop and a skip.

1968 Charger R/T 440 727
1971 Duster Pro-Street
2009 Challenger SRT8 6 Speed
2009 Jeep Cherokee SRT8

Dino

The country is too big to satisfy everyone.  I'm close to Detroit so I'll be going, but I wouldn't if it was in Kansas!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

ODZKing

Terry,
There were 3 of us at the 45th, if you want to call that a reunion.
Ed B from Carlisle I know was planning something along with Ken from Charlotte.  I have not heard what however.
To answer, Carlisle it is for me.

charge69

familymopar:  The Boerne meets were awesome and both I attended (the last 2 held) had over 100 Chargers there!  Doubt ANY meet that has been held in the northeast would come close!  These meets were TDC registry meets and not DodgeCharger.com gatherings. Sadly, the TDC meets have now shrunken to 1 meet a year. Last year was supposed to be in Nashville Tn. but not sure as it is a private event now! Sucks all around!

I am sure the logistics of putting a meet on in any place is daunting but, I wish the Boerne meet would resume! Lots of fun that day and lots of friendly people to visit with. No little "clubby" areas where people are patting each other on the back about their cars and plenty to see and do in San Antonio just a few minutes south for those who wanted to stay. Some "works-in-progress" Chargers and Trailer-queens and everything in between.

I went over to San Antonio a couple of months ago to the local MOPAR MUSCLE CLUB of San Antonio annual gathering at a Dodge Dealership in NW San Antonio and there were many beautiful MOPARS and lots of friendly people anxious to talk about their car.  Wonderful time!

Mopar Nut

Quote from: charge69 on February 09, 2015, 04:36:08 PM

:iagree:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

charger207

Frankly I never got the impression there was an "in crowd" at this site or at any of the other groups I stay in touch with.  But there is a "stay in touch" crowd and a "communicate regularly" crowd and a "get involved" crowd.  We have had several conversations on this subject here for over a year with the most recent starting in late December.  We even had a voting poll.  If all that's too inconvenient to "get involved" then I question the commitment of the "late bloomers". 
I am close to Carlisle so Kansas would be even further away than Auburn Hills for me.  So you can guess the issues with Texas or other sites mentioned.  I would love to see the celebration at Carlisle since it is THE largest Mopar event east of the Mississippi.  But that is not how the voting went. 
We had 57 First Generation cars show up at the 40th reunion in Auburn Hills and another 12 owners without cars.  One from California, another from Texas, and one from Florida.  Never had a "klicky" feel to the entire event!!  It was the love of the cars and the friendly atmosphere that drove them to attend.  Everyone did their thing and everyone was welcome wherever they attended.  From my observation, snobbery seems to be in the eye of the beholder.  In any case, Auburn Hills, which is the HOME of the Charger and Chrysler, has the CEMA show (Chrysler employee's auto show) AT the Chrysler Museum so I see a lot of historical connection.  And overall it is also relatively central. 
I've said it several times.  I have no doubt there will be MANY 50th celebrations all over the country, and even the world!  What car represents the Muscle Car era better than the Charger (did I mention HEMI?)?  So there will be plenty of events to attend.  This is just an effort to coordinate one site where the most people of this and other groups with Chargers (who may only be able to attend one event) can gather and do face-to-face.  As someone already pointed out, there is no one single site that will satisfy everyone.  It's called COMPROMISE!  I do know some people who will be there no matter where it is.  I'M ONE OF THEM!!!  In crowd or not!!!!

charge69

OOOOOHHH !! Getting schooled by someone with 7 posts !  Ha !  Get back to me when you have ANY leg to stand on !   It should be obvious that not everyone can attend these gatherings.  Money, physical disability and/or a myriad of reasons someone cannot attend. Most of us have to pick one or, maybe, two major events is about all most checkbooks, including mine, can stand. I was forced to retire due to a stroke in early 2011 and live now on SS, a little VA disability and some retirement income and travel is both arduous and expensive to me! Your inference that because I now have a nice Charger, I must be stuck up about it is laughable!

I got my Charger in 1976 for a steal, even at that time. Life, unforeseen circumstances and many things forced me to postphone its' restoration until 2008 and then I had my stroke in 2011 when it was stripped to the bone and ready to slowly go back up with it! My lifesaver friend and restorer went ahead and finished it largely with his labor and little of mine due to my physical condition.

All I am saying is it always seems to be quickly decided that anything big for DodgeCharger.com is going to be in the northeast!  I just cannot make that long of a drive, with or without towing a trailer. Flying to the area is a major expense for me anyway and a rent car, hotel, meals for multiple days there and all the other expenses involved add up quickly. If you want to buy anything at the parts/swap meet, shipping it home is also an issue to deal with!

The TDC meet in Boerne was convenient for me and I loved it. Having a 50th Year of the Charger celebration somewhere in the Midwest MIGHT make it easier for me to attend and I suspect a few others also. Having the DC.Com meet in Carlisle or even Auburn Hills make it a no-show for me .  The few people I have actually met from this site have all been great people. I haven't met any of the "regulars" on here from the northeast but, I suspect they are great people also.

Having said that, is it possible that EVERYONE here is great people? .................. maybe so,but ..............................

charger207

No.... schooled by the 9th person to join this group!  I've been off group for 4 years to care for my ailing parents in another city.  After my mother's recent passing, I returned here since I now have a little more time to re-devote to a car and manufacturer I've always loved.  I've owned a Mopar since I got my driver's license in 1966, and a First Gen charger since 1994.  I've raced Mopars.  I helped put together the details for the 35th and 40th Charger reunions.  They were the result of a group effort to make them special.  Many people had a piece of the organizing pie.
I believe your reference to the "in crowd" was insensitive and I stick by my belief. 
My interest is, and always has been the magnificent muscle cars and particularly the colorful history of Chrysler.  The people here, and at the other sites I'm involved with, are all awesome.  Many are also multiple members.  I've met several at previous reunions.  All a truly fun and down-to-earth bunch.  No "in crowd".  I have no time for egos so I hope we can put this to rest. 
My interest is in the cars and, most of all the amazing people.  A reunion is a good way to rekindle those friendships.  I can repeat at least 20 other stories from people I've spoken to about the 50th who would love to have the reunion close to them because of illness, travel, finances, and more.  Some in Florida, some in Washington state, some in Canada.  If I had my way we would have a touring reunion so I could meet them all.  But that's just not practical. 
We are a democratic society and the three sites I visit most often each had a voting poll.  The numbers varied but all decided Auburn Hills was the best AVERAGE location.  Not MY first choice for sure.  A long way from me.  But I can get with the program.  At my age and with my problems I don't expect to be attending a 55th.  I will be at the 50th if I have to crawl...wherever!

TexasStroker

Quote from: charger207 on February 07, 2015, 08:13:17 AM
My questions were about a location for a celebration of the 50th Charger anniversary but I never intended to imply it was just for 1st Gen Chargers.  If that came across too strong I apologize. 

Well guys and gals... I've been poking, probing, and watching comments on several different internet sites regarding a location for the 50th Charger Anniversary and the results are close but the edge seems to go to the CEMA show in Auburn Hills.  Carlisle has positives and negatives and CEMA has a history.  Both plan some kind of memorable event no matter what we on these websites decide.  And I'm sure there will be other shows all over the world that will carry a Charger theme.
While it may not be the preference of all members, let's start focusing our efforts on Auburn Hills, having a good time, and making this the best ever. 

Ah, I got you.  I was thinking you were wanting to keep it for the first gens, or 66s etc.  Once things are set in stone I will gladly forward this to a few folks at Chrysler...can't promise they'll do anything, but since it is looking like it'll be right in their backyard I'd venture a guess they'd likely show up to cover it and would most definitely put it on the calendar!
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

Wicked72

The drive will not please everyone, so what. So its not for everyone and the location makes sence so why the hell not. If my car is alive by then Ill be making the trip for sure with another 72 charger trailing not far behind. +1 for Auburn
M-Massively O-Over P-Powered A-And R-Respected

keith88

Why not have more than 1 scattered across the country that way people could pick the closest one to them. :scratchchin:
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

charger207

I like the idea, Keith, but it's hard enough to put ONE together!  I bet a lot of yearly shows will feature the Charger and I will go to Carlisle, but I only have enough energy to donate to one group event. Anyone else wants to organize something in their area I think that would be awesome.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: keith88 on March 18, 2015, 12:11:22 PM
Why not have more than 1 scattered across the country that way people could pick the closest one to them. :scratchchin:
Quote from: charger207 on March 18, 2015, 12:56:36 PM
I like the idea, Keith, but it's hard enough to put ONE together!  I bet a lot of yearly shows will feature the Charger and I will go to Carlisle, but I only have enough energy to donate to one group event. Anyone else wants to organize something in their area I think that would be awesome.

"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

john108

Except for the 7 hour non-stop flight, I would like to attend.

But, My option is shown below:

"MOPAR DAY in the PARK 22"
JUDGED CAR SHOW  •  SWAP MEET  • CAR CORRAL
The largest All - MOPAR show in Northern California
Saturday, June 27, 2015
Hagan Community Park, Rancho Cordova, CA