News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

backup light - how to change?

Started by Evelbist, January 24, 2015, 06:57:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evelbist

i cant figure out how to remove the light from the housing to change the bulb? the bulb holder spins in the housing, but wont separate?

moparnation74

Yours is a 69 right?  Are you talking about getting the socket out of the housing to access the bulb?  Or is the brass holder for the glass spinning in the socket housing?

Evelbist

am working on a '69

it has a bright trim ring around a glass lens on the outside, and a socket with a pigtail on the inside. the socket spins with some effort, but i cant remove it from the back housing. does it have a specific position (clockwise) to remove, is it just pressed in with fingers or is it screwed in?

moparnation74

Quote from: Evelbist on January 24, 2015, 09:40:04 PM
am working on a '69

it has a bright trim ring around a glass lens on the outside, and a socket with a pigtail on the inside. the socket spins with some effort, but i cant remove it from the back housing. does it have a specific position (clockwise) to remove, is it just pressed in with fingers or is it screwed in?
Hold the socket with one hand then press down on the bulb and turn slightly counterclockwise and pull the bulb out. 

Evelbist

thats to remove the bulb, right?

i have to get to the bulb first. thats what i would like to find out.

Ghoste

moparnation74

Quote from: Evelbist on January 24, 2015, 09:46:55 PM
thats to remove the bulb, right?

i have to get to the bulb first. thats what i would like to find out.
Remove socket in housing, push and pull socket side to side.

Evelbist

did not remove glass - should i?

does the socket remove from the back like the illumination lamps in the gauge panel, i.e. by rocking the socket back and forth?

moparnation74

Quote from: Evelbist on January 24, 2015, 10:11:56 PM
did not remove glass - should i?

does the socket remove from the back like the illumination lamps in the gauge panel, i.e. by rocking the socket back and forth?
Yes

bill440rt

There a little wire clip that holds the glass lens in place. Remove the clip, remove the lens, and then the bulb. Install in reverse order. :2thumbs:
"Strive for perfection in everything. Take the best that exists and make it better. If it doesn't exist, create it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough." Sir Henry Rolls Royce

Ghoste

I do it the same as Bill just outlined.

Mopar Nut

Quote from: bill440rt on January 24, 2015, 10:35:23 PM
There a little wire clip that holds the glass lens in place. Remove the clip, remove the lens, and then the bulb. Install in reverse order. :2thumbs:
:yesnod:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

moparnation74

Quote from: bill440rt on January 24, 2015, 10:35:23 PM
:iagree:

Sorry, I was confused from your post I thought you were talking about the taillights.

Just 6T9 CHGR

From the Factory Service Manual (which is a recommended purchase when restoring these cars)

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Evelbist

removing the wire clip did the job, was so dirty, i couldnt see it.