News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

6 pack w/air cond. air cleaner???

Started by 71 SE3834V, January 25, 2015, 10:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71 SE3834V

(Editor's note: Scam alert!!! After writing all this I feel kinda stupid. I looked at some pics of other 6 pk air cleaners and didn't see anything with a notch in it so I wrote this only to look in the Classic Ind. catalog to see part #MN1013 pictured for a '70-'71 non cold air with a notch in it. It's billed as a "Mopar Authentic Restoration" part. Maybe someone can pull up a pic of it. I'm going to post this anyway to let everyone know that someone out there is "trying" to sell a 6pk w/air air cleaner assembly.)

Ok, here we go. Yes I'm gonna open up that can of worms again!  :poke:

Let me say right off the bat I am NOT saying (one way or the other) that this is legit or even possible. I have no knowledge on the subject other than the info I've read here on this forum. I've teased a few of you over on the WPC Swap Meet thread and you're waiting with baited breath to see the pics. Here you go! Maybe you guys have seen this before, if so let me know.

So I'm at the WPC Swap Meet and I missed this the 1st time through. "Just another 6 pk air cleaner, not interested, moving on." The 2nd time through when I have more time and moving more slowly I see this again and notice written on it "Factory A/C" and I believe it said 6 pack under that. Then I notice the notch....

The guy comes over and says "That's a factory made 6 pk with A/C air cleaner." or something like that.
I replied "I thought that wasn't a factory option?"
He agreed and said "It wasn't. Barrett Jackson was trying to say it was recently though."
"Oh you saw that car huh?" I said.
Referring back to the air cleaner he said "But that's factory made, look at it, it's been stamped."
"I see that. Could it have been a dealer offered part?"
"Dunno"
I left it at that, snapped a couple of pics and began to ponder the debate I was about to begin....again!

What did I see? A well done homemade part? Could this cutout be done with basic hand tools or was it professionally done? Or did I find the Holy Grail?
The edges were rounded. There was some rust starting on the edges of the sheet metal and some bubbling at the rounded corner of the notch. This was not a "new, unused" item. It had wear marks from the wing nuts. Just saying. Trying to get as much info out there.

I asked on the other thread if this could have been a part of a dealer optioned kit to add a 6pk to an ac car. I fully agree with the reasons of "why" you don't want to and "it wouldn't be a good idea" of not combining an ac compressor with a 6 pk but could somebody have been producing these somewhere aftermarket? I sure wish I had picked the thing up and looked for a part #. What is it they say about hindsight?
Wish I had more pics and better ones. It was the end of the day, I was tired and the guy was packing up. Sorry they're a little blurry. Dang arthritic hands. I sure will be looking for it next year, if he's there and still has it. Dunno if the $400 price on it was a good price. I guess it is if you have that mystical unicorn that's out there! 
***(I now see the new part #MN1013 is $429.99. Yea, the "rare w/air" one should go for a little more then that, haha!)****
Maybe one of you guys will spot it at another swap meet. Anybody know of a Mopar vendor that happens to be in a wheelchair?

***OK, so why does the aftermarket "Authentic Restoration" part for that application have a notch in it?***

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

TUFCAT

Very good write up and I'm glad you took the effort to post this.  You already know my feelings *cough*.... fake // *cough again*....bullshit // but this should help get some other folks responding.

The recent B-J auction *damn this cough* ....where the "make believe '70 six pack with air" recently sold makes this is a timely topic.  Let's get to the "hard rock bottom" of the issue.  I see no reason why the aftermarket is fooling people into believing these reproductions are real.  So let's talk, should they be available in the aftermarket?  Did I *cough* again?  :D  Where the hell's that Robitussin? .... :smilielol:

71 SE3834V

Long as your not holding your crotch while your coughing.  :eek2:

I believe now that what I saw was the one that's sold by Classic (and possibly others). Why? So someone can put a 6pk on their otherwise 4bbl w/air car???

I'm guessing the BJ car (a.k.a. Blowj** car) used one of these air cleaners.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

TUFCAT

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on January 25, 2015, 10:55:12 PM

thank God my crotch is fine.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

Unless there's proof Chrysler offered this *friggin' cough*....abortion in 1970 // then its nothing more than an aftermarket part.

I love your tenacious "from the "D" attitude.   :coolgleamA:    You've done some very good field reporting out there, and brought back the proof.  Your efforts are worthy of a Michigan wolverine scratching around is some unholy hell loose dirt..... but the product itself nothing but a fake - - in my opinion.  

As for anyone trying to pass this off as a legitimate  "six-pack with a/c" air cleaner assembly?..... well,  you probably already know what I think of that. *cough*.

TUFCAT

Here's the "notched" reproduction six pack air cleaner in question. I don't own a six pack car but I still don't think the small cut-out would be enough clear the a/c compressor.  I'm hoping somebody else can assist with that.

As far as the actual part is concerned, Classic Industries lists the item as a low profile (non fresh air hood equipped ) air cleaner from Mopar Performance so one might assume like 71 SE3834V said....its an authentic reproduction part.

http://www.classicindustries.com/product/mopar/parts/mn1013.html

Let's assume you have a non fresh air 440-six pack... a 1970 Charger, or even a 1970 'Cuda for example. Why would it need cut indented into the front lower base?  Moreover, why would any six pack car need that?

This is something for you guys to discuss. I really don't see a need for this part, and don't think its an actual "reproduction"

Alaskan_TA

If any 440-6 air breather tub originally existed for any AC application, it would show up in one of the parts books.

I do not have copies of all the parts books, so for those of you that do, please take a look & report back.

I will not hold my breath while you look though.

71 SE3834V

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 25, 2015, 10:59:51 PM
Quote from: 71 SE3834V on January 25, 2015, 10:55:12 PM

thank God my crotch is fine.   :2thumbs: :2thumbs:

.....Your efforts are worthy of a Michigan wolverine scratching around is some unholy hell loose dirt.....

Good to hear about your crotch! I was a little worried.

You know they didn't believe there was really a wolverine here until someone caught one on a game camera! Hehe.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

6bblgt

The above "notched" air cleaner came out in the early-'90s as a Mopar Performance "reproduction part".  It never existed before that.
(I'll "ASSUME" someone thought there would be more sales potential if they advertised it able to fit with A/C)

Yes, Chrysler Corp. introduced a reproduction part that never existed & did NOT reproduce (at that time) a correct 3x2bbl base.  :RantExplode: BRAVO!!

moparnation74

Never existed on a factory produced car.

Defeats the purpose of a 6 pack motor in the height of the muscle car era.

Ghoste

I'll throw my photos of the thing in here too.  I think my feelings on the 6 Pack with air are well known but this kind of part only fuels the lie. 

TUFCAT

Written with marker on the tape ..."factory air style".  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   Shame on that person. He should have his Mopar card revoked!

moparnation74

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 26, 2015, 09:20:29 AM
Written with marker on the tape ..."factory air style".  :icon_smile_dissapprove:   Shame on that person. He should have his Mopar card removed!
Can you only imagine how many people walked by and said, "Wow, look at that rare sick pack air cleaner with AC!" :brickwall:

71 SE3834V

Quote from: 6bblgt on January 26, 2015, 01:56:59 AM
The above "notched" air cleaner came out in the early-'90s as a Mopar Performance "reproduction part".  It never existed before that.
(I'll "ASSUME" someone thought there would be more sales potential if they advertised it able to fit with A/C)

Yes, Chrysler Corp. introduced a reproduction part that never existed & did NOT reproduce (at that time) a correct 3x2bbl base.  :RantExplode: BRAVO!!

Strange that the guy didn't believe the option was available but technically he was right! It is factory made, just not "THE" factory that was making all the factory produced cars. Still, shame on him.

So the question remains "why the notch?"
The only thing I can come up with is, if it does indeed fit around an ac compressor, then this was made so "Joe 6 pack" (no pun intended, well...a little) could take his 440-4bbl w/air car and slap a 6 pk on it cause "it would look cool".

71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Quote from: moparnation74 on January 26, 2015, 08:18:24 AM
Never existed on a factory produced car.

Defeats the purpose of a 6 pack motor in the height of the muscle car era.

I think you're looking at it in an opposite way I'm intending. No, the factory wouldn't do this to a muscle car but if they indeed reproduced this in the 90's I can see them salivating over all the parts they'd sell to the masses that want to turn their 4bbl w/air car into a 6 pk. By the 90's it wasn't about keeping things pure but more about "How do we keep this company afloat" if you know what I mean. I believe they'd sell anything to anybody no matter what it would do to their performance! How's that for "from the D" attitude!
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

71 SE3834V

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on January 25, 2015, 11:47:43 PM
If any 440-6 air breather tub originally existed for any AC application, it would show up in one of the parts books.

I do not have copies of all the parts books, so for those of you that do, please take a look & report back.

I will not hold my breath while you look though.

That really is the short answer to all this.

Quote from: Ghoste on January 26, 2015, 09:17:50 AM
I'll throw my photos of the thing in here too.  I think my feelings on the 6 Pack with air are well known but this kind of part only fuels the lie. 

I'm glad someone else saw and photographed this. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between real life and my dreams.  :smilielol:
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

TUFCAT

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on January 26, 2015, 11:54:30 AM

So the question remains "why the notch?"
The only thing I can come up with is, if it does indeed fit around an ac compressor, then this was made so "Joe 6 pack" (no pun intended, well...a little) could take his 440-4bbl w/air car and slap a 6 pk on it cause "it would look cool".

Indeed.  It appears to manufactured to appeal to the likes of the Joe Six Pack crowd (*pun intended and copied... :icon_smile_wink:) who wants to stay cool while still going fast. Anyone would call this an "Authentic Rerproduction Part" would be a blatant liar. The authentic branding of non original parts irritates me because some clueless Jamoke from Mudville, Nebraska is gonna believe this was once a real Chrysler part, and the horrific folklore stays around even longer....  

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on January 26, 2015, 12:07:33 PM

I'm glad someone else saw and photographed this. Sometimes I can't tell the difference between real life and my dreams.  :smilielol:

Now that's funny right there!  :icon_smile_big:

Ghoste

Corporations don't look at authentic parts reproduction as a good busniness model.  Now making a part that once only fit a single application available with a notch to allow more use is brilliant in their eyes.  Its the same mentality that wants licensing fees for toys that really are just helping to promote the brand.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Ghoste on January 26, 2015, 01:38:22 PM
Corporations don't look at authentic parts reproduction as a good busniness model.  Now making a part that once only fit a single application available with a notch to allow more use is brilliant in their eyes.  Its the same mentality that wants licensing fees for toys that really are just helping to promote the brand.

Ghoste, I think you nailed it again!  :yesnod:

Here's how I imagine the "conversation" playing out.....  :D

(In a Chrysler meeting room in Auburn Hills, MI)

FUTURE CORPORATE GENIUS:  "Gee boss, if we put a simple notch in the front of this air cleaner we might be able to sell more units to people who want to install A/C compressors on their 440-six pack cars....."  What'ya think Boss? ...Is that a good idea?  

BOSS OF FUTURE CORPORATE GENIUS:  More units???  (thinking more money)....."Well that's an excellent idea Junior!"  "In fact, I think there's a promotion in your future...and I'll bet you'll become the head of this division someday"

472 R/T SE

That notch was designed to clear distributors originally was always my understanding.

Is there another one with a notch on the other side?

71 SE3834V

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 26, 2015, 01:57:58 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on January 26, 2015, 01:38:22 PM
Corporations don't look at authentic parts reproduction as a good busniness model.  Now making a part that once only fit a single application available with a notch to allow more use is brilliant in their eyes.  Its the same mentality that wants licensing fees for toys that really are just helping to promote the brand.

Ghoste, I think you nailed it again!  :yesnod:

Here's how I imagine the "conversation" playing out.....  :D

(In a Chrysler meeting room in Auburn Hills, MI)

FUTURE CORPORATE GENIUS:  "Gee boss, if we put a simple notch in the front of this air cleaner we might be able to sell more units to people who want to install A/C compressors on their 440-six pack cars....."  What'ya think Boss? ...Is that a good idea?  

BOSS OF FUTURE CORPORATE GENIUS:  More units???  (thinking more money)....."Well that's an excellent idea Junior!"  "In fact, I think there's a promotion in your future...and I'll bet you'll become the head of this division someday"

Geez, that's almost word for word what I thought when I read Ghoste's reply. Boss agrees "Everyone wants air nowadays!"

Quote from: 472 R/T SE on January 26, 2015, 03:02:30 PM
That notch was designed to clear distributors originally was always my understanding.

Is there another one with a notch on the other side?

Only notch I saw was on the drivers side. Every pic I have shows no need for clearance on the dist. side.
71 Charger SE 383 4V
72 Galaxie 500 400 2V

472 R/T SE

I just remembered (imagine that   ;D) reading about it in I think a rag quite a while ago.

Ghoste

Someone may have notched their own to clear an MSD distributor or something.  That one at the swap meet was definitely only notched on the non distributor side of the base.

archie360

It's a Unicorn, unfortunately unicorn's only exist in fairy tales :icon_smile_big:
1971 SE 383HP     1972 Rallye 340

Davtona

Quote from: 71 SE3834V on January 25, 2015, 10:39:31 PM

"That's a factory made 6 pk with A/C air cleaner."

Barrett Jackson was trying to say it was recently though."

Yup, This is similar to how the stories of Mermaids, Bigfoot & Yeti's began. And so first it is repeated, soon many have seen one, then it becomes a legend. Shortly after that many believe it to be true.

TUFCAT

Quote from: Davtona on January 26, 2015, 08:13:02 PM
Yup, This is similar to how the stories of Mermaids, Bigfoot & Yeti's began. And so first it is repeated, soon many have seen one, then it becomes a legend. Shortly after that many believe it to be true.

I hate to say it.... but this is exactly like the 4-door Barracuda story.

It was never photographed, discussed, or known to exist for the past 42 years... but now its one of the worlds best mysteries with only one person on planet Earth every laying eyes on it.  

Now the story has morphed into a "real car" that was actually produced as a Chrysler prototype in 1969.  :icon_smile_dissapprove: