News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

My free 69 charger R/T ....

Started by Pat1973charger, January 26, 2015, 01:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VegasCharger

Thanks for the story and pics :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Good luck on your build as you seem to have a plan of attack.
With all of the parts pillaged from that car I'm surprised that the front buckets are still there.

six-tee-nine

I always love guys with a dedicated mind.
Nothing but kudos to you for going for it. If you know your skills and know you can do it then go ahead.

Like you said, lot of 10K cars need a 20K restoration also. So you're ahaid a couple of bucks, and if you have a donor car you save some extra money.

Keep us posted with lots of pictures. Lots of guys here love these big projects.
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

Pat1973charger

Thanks for the support! I appreciate it and will need it! Hope to start on it very soon just trying to work out the details of the title. I bought all those new parts to build the xp29 knowing id probabaly spend more ok it then it would be worth but solely to fulfill my dream of having a 69 charger so to be able to build a 69 rt stripe delete original 440 magnum car is just the icing on the icing on the chocolate cake with fudge in the middle lol. I will start a build thread wen the work commences.

Also I have followed some threads on here but you say some were worse it at least as bad? Which ones would that be? Jut curious?

TUFCAT

Quote from: Pat1973charger on January 26, 2015, 11:50:28 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on January 26, 2015, 11:23:49 PM
Sorry dude, you got a parts car.  :'(

Most would think so but I'll bring her back. Anything can be saved. I have the xp29 I bought in August for parts plus a 68 satellite. No out sourcing needed, I'm a licenced mechanic and father in law is a licenced auto body certified in the 70s when chargers started to rot. He knows them inside out upside down. We built a frAme jig for the xp29 resto but now the rt will go on it and piece by piece I'll turn it back into a solid shell. I have wanted a 69 charger RT since I was 8 years old and now I have one, if I let this one slide I know it'll be many many years before I find or can buy another one, with just having a 5 month old baby boy and the fact that they just aren't around here. I have my young family to support so money isn't there for a turn key car or and 15k car that needs 15k Into it. I will takes free car and put the 25-30k into it and have a nice rt over the next few years. I should add tht I already have front and rear rails, torsion crossmember, rear cross memembers, front and rear leaf spring Perches, inner and outer rocker panels and all floors. Really nice rear glass, enough glass to do the car twice minus windshield, restorable grille, two sets of tail lights, enough stainless trim to do two cars, lots of assorted small interior stuff a really nice original hood, good set of leafs, three rear ends, really nice trunk lid and various suspension parts and so on.

Sounds like you've got a plan. :yesnod:  I just changed my mind...for "most people" that's a parts car.  :icon_smile_wink:

Stegs

to you older guys that drove these cars in the late 60s or early 70s :

Was is the "cool thing" to do - to wrap or smash up these cars? LOL  :nana:

I read alot of stories of you guys, and just about everyone i talk to would say something like "yea i was driving home one night, and next thing i know i smashed into a pole, I sold the car shortly after that for 150 dollars"

I mean wow.....the amount a cars and poles you guys must have gone thru  :o Whats the deal?

If i was alive back then, I would be rich, b/c i would have owned the biggest towing/wrecker service around!

* i started a thread to hear these stories in the other forum*

Pat1973charger

Quote from: TUFCAT on January 27, 2015, 07:41:52 AM
Quote from: Pat1973charger on January 26, 2015, 11:50:28 PM
Quote from: TUFCAT on January 26, 2015, 11:23:49 PM
Sorry dude, you got a parts car.  :'(

Most would think so but I'll bring her back. Anything can be saved. I have the xp29 I bought in August for parts plus a 68 satellite. No out sourcing needed, I'm a licenced mechanic and father in law is a licenced auto body certified in the 70s when chargers started to rot. He knows them inside out upside down. We built a frAme jig for the xp29 resto but now the rt will go on it and piece by piece I'll turn it back into a solid shell. I have wanted a 69 charger RT since I was 8 years old and now I have one, if I let this one slide I know it'll be many many years before I find or can buy another one, with just having a 5 month old baby boy and the fact that they just aren't around here. I have my young family to support so money isn't there for a turn key car or and 15k car that needs 15k Into it. I will takes free car and put the 25-30k into it and have a nice rt over the next few years. I should add tht I already have front and rear rails, torsion crossmember, rear cross memembers, front and rear leaf spring Perches, inner and outer rocker panels and all floors. Really nice rear glass, enough glass to do the car twice minus windshield, restorable grille, two sets of tail lights, enough stainless trim to do two cars, lots of assorted small interior stuff a really nice original hood, good set of leafs, three rear ends, really nice trunk lid and various suspension parts and so on.

Sounds like you've got a plan. :yesnod:  I just changed my mind...for "most people" that's a parts car.  :icon_smile_wink:

Thanks you are right I would consider it a parts car if it was anything but a 69 charger rt. I would have loved to be driving these in the late 60s early 70s but sadly I'm living in the age when a car like mine most guys selling think is gold plated. I'm only 28 soni have time to restore her ... I hope lol.

Ghoste

Steg, as to wrecking cars it's no more so than the daily drivers of today.  Because thats what they were, daily drivers just with a little more cool.  Not to mention that we didn't have a Charger for play, a pickup truck for work, an SUV for the wife and a cheap sedan for the kids to drive.  We had ONE car and everybody drove it, day and night in all weather conditions.

moparnation74

That is one Hell of an undertaking!  Hats off to you for the "want" to tackle this project and to save another charger. :2thumbs:

sdweatherman

I am glad you got to it before someone decided to crush it. Good luck with your resurrection! Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

Cncguy

There's enough parts around to build a lot of chargers. Just takes people digging through their garages to find them.

Pat1973charger

Quote from: Cncguy on January 27, 2015, 12:34:47 PM
There's enough parts around to build a lot of chargers. Just takes people digging through their garages to find them.

And tell Me where they are lol  :cheers:

Cncguy

Just remember 68 69 70 b bodies are very similar with like parts. Only a few parts are unique to the Charger.

Pat1973charger

Quote from: Cncguy on January 27, 2015, 01:30:11 PM
Just remember 68 69 70 b bodies are very similar with like parts. Only a few parts are unique to the Charger.

Yeah I know, I have a 68 satellite I got for $300 was gonna use for parts for the xp29 which will now donate a pillers and front roof structure to the rt as well as a firewall which I should just have to drill the hole for the vacuum headlights.

Cncguy

I did the same thing 68 coronet 4 dr only I got it for the floor pans.

Cooter

I got a roof. Complete off 69 Charger. Rear channel needs work, but comes with free ripped headliner and weatherstripping.
" I have spent thousands of dollars and countless hours researching what works and what doesn't and I'm willing to share"

Pat1973charger

Quote from: Cooter on January 27, 2015, 02:23:33 PM
I got a roof. Complete off 69 Charger. Rear channel needs work, but comes with free ripped headliner and weatherstripping.

Lol thanks for the offer cooter, surprisingly the roof skin is pretty solid, going to drill out the welds and take it off to blast it and the inner structure then I'll repair the structure and reinstall the skin. I think I'll start with the replacement of the rails and floors, rockers and the firewall.

six-tee-nine

Quote from: Pat1973charger on January 27, 2015, 06:25:29 AM
Also I have followed some threads on here but you say some were worse it at least as bad? Which ones would that be? Jut curious?

Check these guys out....

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,104414.0.html

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,48718.0.html

those are just a couple I remember freshly....
Greetings from Belgium, the beer country

NOS is nice, turbo's are neat, but when it comes to Mopars, there's no need to cheat...

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Is that Lee 1   :o

Seriously though, restore that and you win car guy of the year  :cheers:

Pat1973charger

Quote from: XS29L9Bxxxxxx on January 28, 2015, 01:44:53 PM
Is that Lee 1   :o

Seriously though, restore that and you win car guy of the year  :cheers:

Hitting a lot of dead ends for a title, Nova Scotia DMV sucks for obtaining a title for a car without any documentation. :brickwall:

TUFCAT

I thought you had a title.  :shruggy:  Without it you might have to reconsider this and find a car w/clean title.  Sitting abandon for a looong time....without a title isn't a good sign. Who knows....it could have been reported stolen?  It would suck to invest time and money for somebody else to lay claim to it when finished.   Just my two cents.  Glad you're doing it now rather than later.  :yesnod:

Ghoste

Don't most places kind of frown on giving you a title without any documentation?

rockitier350

i went through the not title thing and i got one it wasn't cheap i paid $1300 and it's totally legal and legitamate http://www.getnewtitle.com/ took me 1.5 months all you need is a notarized bill of sale from his wife.
1968 charger restoration in progress
t56 built by rpm transmission
636 hemi
14-71 stage 2 bds blower
1225hp supercharged
0 gas mileage

Cncguy

Easiest thing would be to pay the widow to go to DMV with vin and death certificate , and request replacement title.
If it hasn't been purged from the system.

Pat1973charger

DMV would issue a new one but when they run the vin it doesn't ever show up as registered in their records. The gave me a # for a legal aid place or something where I can get free advise over the phone. Called them and they don't see a reason why a title shouldn't be issued as long as I write up a detailed letter describing that the land owner agrees to give me the car and I am responsible for all fees associated with removal and transport to my property. Then they said I should contact my local antique car association and see if there is a procedure before I take this letter to the DMV. Pain in the damn ass, I have a clean title and all three vins for a 69 xp29 but I would rather restore  the rt

Pat1973charger

Quote from: Cncguy on January 28, 2015, 05:18:59 PM
Easiest thing would be to pay the widow to go to DMV with vin and death certificate , and request replacement title.
If it hasn't been purged from the system.

That would be easy as she is family but DMV says it's not in the system. As for it being stolen I know the history back to the mid 70s as it's been there in the woods since late 70s and prior to that he Drove it for awhile. I did however run the vin thruough the RCMP and it came up clean.