News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird nose cone to fender seal

Started by rickroadrunner, January 28, 2015, 08:20:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rickroadrunner

I am finishing the nose cone on the Superbird and trial fitting the nose cone prior to paint. It is a tight fit with the seal fitted.
Could somebody please post some pics showing seal in place.
Any pictures showing the finished internals of the nose cone and the front end(painted) prior to fitting would be appreciated.
Final paint not too far off!
Thanks

Aero426

Tip #1:   Make sure the seal is oriented correctly.   That is, the skinny side of the seal is the part visible when assembled.    The fat side goes inside the nose cone. 

62 Max

rickroadrunner

Thanks for the photo and comment , we have fitted it the way you described. Being such a thick rubber section, it does not bend very well.
Does anybody have any photos showing the nose cone fitted with the seal prior to mounting to the fenders?

Arnie Cunningham

Ken Presley has some tricks to getting the seal to fit.  Maybe he will chime in.  I think it involved grinding away part of the unseen thick part of the seal where it has to bend most tightly.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

70Sbird

I notched the thick part of mine at the sharp bend at the top with a razor blade, but the top "peak" on each side is still a stretch and a PIA. Have a helper or two wrangle the nose with you and tape the seal in place and then pull the tape as it gets close. The remainig piece of the tape can still be seen in the last picture.

Scott Faulkner

rickroadrunner

Thanks 70Sbird, those photos are great. We were doing it correctly and had also worked out you needed to notch the top section of the seal at the top.
It seems the seal is semi structural, where it keeps the nose 'firm'. We wanted to do this now, before paint as we were concerned that if we did not get the seal right, it may move the gaps around after paint when it was possibly too late.

62 Max

The seal's on my bird were N.O.S. when I got them in 1981,already notched and if I remember,there was not much material left at the outside lip.I did not have a problem with fitting at fender peak,just ran a bead of 3M weatherstrip adhesive along the inside lip of the nose and put them on.

rainbow4jd

Rick, g'day mate!  The bird is looking great.   Steve V

thehemikid

Quote from: 62 Max on January 29, 2015, 08:54:48 AM
The seal's on my bird were N.O.S. when I got them in 1981,already notched and if I remember,there was not much material left at the outside lip.I did not have a problem with fitting at fender peak,just ran a bead of 3M weatherstrip adhesive along the inside lip of the nose and put them on.

Did they look something like this?

Hemi Runner

I'm bumping this old thread for a recommendation on where to buy these seals. I have googled it and everyone under the sun has them for sale. Which ones fit the best?

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 29, 2016, 07:50:26 AM
I'm bumping this old thread for a recommendation on where to buy these seals. I have googled it and everyone under the sun has them for sale. Which ones fit the best?

I've always gotten them from Dales Cuda shop.com, IIRC he is the manufacturer that all the others are carrying, they are just straight U shaped strips, no notches, I prefer to actually cut the strip into 2 pieces (sharp razor blade) with a mitered 45 degree cut, glue them back together with Loctite Black max super glue for rubber, they fit better, don't get all "bunched" looking at the corner, and don't fall/roll off the corner AFTER the nose is on! :brickwall:

Mike

Daytona R/T SE

Hemi Runner

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 29, 2016, 01:39:04 PM
Quote from: Hemi Runner on May 29, 2016, 07:50:26 AM

I've always gotten them from Dales Cuda shop.com, IIRC he is the manufacturer that all the others are carrying, they are just straight U shaped strips, no notches, I prefer to actually cut the strip into 2 pieces (sharp razor blade) with a mitered 45 degree cut, glue them back together with Loctite Black max super glue for rubber, they fit better, don't get all "bunched" looking at the corner, and don't fall/roll off the corner AFTER the nose is on! :brickwall:

Mike

That's the info I'm looking for right there! Thanks Mike!

DAY CLONA

[/quote]

Loctite Black max super glue for rubber

[/quote]

Yes, not cheap, that's the $70 bottle IIRC, but they have smaller tubes if needed, works great on solid type rubbers and some foam rubbers, esp joining cut/modified edges, if your looking to bond rubber on the surface, wipe it down with Acetone or lacquer to remove the talc film the mfg coat rubber with to preserve the surface

Mike

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 29, 2016, 06:55:59 PM

Loctite Black max super glue for rubber

[/quote]

Yes, not cheap, that's the $70 bottle IIRC, but they have smaller tubes if needed, works great on solid type rubbers and some foam rubbers, esp joining cut/modified edges, if your looking to bond rubber on the surface, wipe it down with Acetone or lacquer to remove the talc film the mfg coat rubber with to preserve the surface

Mike

Mike,

I've been looking for a better way to glue rubber.

After reading your post,

I found this on amazon for $28  :eek2:

http://www.amazon.com/Loctite-135423-Toughened-Instant-Adhesive/dp/B000132VEE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1464580734&sr=8-1&keywords=loctite+380+black+max

As you said, it's not cheap, but it's got to beat the hell out of the double faced tape I used for the mock up. ;)

Thanks again.  :2thumbs:

[/quote]