News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Since the MECUM Auction?

Started by 500Jon, January 31, 2015, 05:47:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

500Jon

I have been asked many times already since the Big Auction...
Why the big price gap between C500's and Daytona's???
Two very similar cars both with Creative rear-window mods.
Built on 69 Charger bodies one having extra front end mods (moving headlights).

Moving headlights are adding twice or three times the value!

I didn't know 'fixed headlights' would be such a downer?

I'm gonna build my C500 with with revolving headlights and see if it ups the value???

And put the date coded Hemi in as well.......
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!

Mike DC

Umm . . the difference between a 500 and Daytona is a bit more than just the moving headlights, bud.

Ghoste

Interesting question Jon.  I normally think using auction values is a horrible way to establish vehicle values but Daytonas are rarely sold outside of those cattle arenas anymore it seems like.  There are some offered by dealers at (previously??) outrageous prices but most of the actual sales have been at auction.
As to 500's and wings, I like the 500 much better than the wing car myself but I think its very short time in the public limelight have made it the forgotten one.  It's race record didn't get the press and its appearance wasn't that radically different than a regular Charger or even the Talladega to the casual non car nut onlooker.  Chrysler didn't even advertise and then they threw in the towel.
Wing cars however looked like crazy ships from outer space man!  Then and still.  Look at the comments in the entertainment news from non car people talking about David Spade's recent buy.  The comparatively high number of Superbirds built along with the ad campaign Chrysler ran for them raised public awareness and that stands until today. (and people do associate the Daytona and the Superbird as the same car outside our little circle)
Even if the wing cars had never won a single race they still made press and perhaps in that sense won the only race Chrysler cared about, the public relations one.  The legend even grew to the point where people even within the motorsports fan base, NASCAR fan base and right down to the Charger fan base believe the wing cars were so dominant that they virtually made veryone else just load their trailers and go home.

500Jon

Your are right DC.....

A bolt on rear SPOILER!!! :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:
Took mine off, it was too outragious LOL.....
IF A JOB's WORTH DOING, ITS WORTH DOING WELL, RIP DAD.
4-SPEED, 1969 Charger-500 is the most Coolio car in the World!