News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3 point belts in the back of a 68

Started by dkn1997, March 26, 2006, 07:50:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dkn1997

I am interested in this and I remember a post on the old board where a guy put pics of how he did it.  anyone remember or maybe saved the info? 

I want to be able to take the kiddies in the car with me this summer.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

JimShine

I know there is a slot on eeach side of that deck in the back window where it looks like you can rig something up. Maybe look into what belt systems will fit those slots?

8WHEELER

There was a 68 Charger on ebay about 2yrs ago. It had factory rear shoulder belts, probably the
most rare option on a 68, I have never seen one in person, and only heard of two of them so far.
I have not heard of any other belt system.

Dan
74 Dart Sport 360, just for added fun.

JimShine

That makes perfect sense. Why else would they have stamped those all out with the slot and screw holes? The trick is to find out what that rear shoulder belt interchanged with so we know where to get them to upgrade our Chargers.

dkn1997

RECHRGED

dkn1997

I am resurrecting this dead turd.  someone out there has to have a pic of where the elusive rear shouldber belts go!!!  does not even have to be a 68.  69 or 70 woudl probably mount to the same spot.  hell, even a sedan with the option might shed some light.  my 68 FSM does state that the rear belts for 3rd row are mounted to the wheel wells.  is it that simple for chargers?  put the rienforcing plate inside the whell well and anchors away?

I want to buy some aftermarket belts and put them in.  If I could just find where/how the factory did it, I could make it work.  I crawled around in there tonight and for the life of me, I cannot visualize it.  There two screw holes right next to the oval cutouts in the package tray.  looks like they woudl be to secure some sort of guide so the belt does not get cut on the metal of the package tray. 

I was looking at my 99 grand prix rear belts tonight. the anchor/retractor is mounted to the package tray itself.  they just put a steel plate underneath.  with the proper plate, is the metal frame under the carbboard tray strong enough for this?  I don't think so, but then again......
RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

dodgecharger-fan

You've got mail!  :P

edit: that's from a 69. Hopefully, they're the same on a 68. I can't imagine they'd be any different if they were available in both years.

dkn1997

Hey dude, thanks for that drawing, makes my life easier.  I wonder if I just got set of duplicate front 3 point belts if I could use them in the back.  if the shoulder strap goes all the way to th floow, then it's probably about the same length as the regular front one.  you would think they woudl try to use the same setup as the front to reduce costs.... 
RECHRGED

dkn1997

what FSM did that drawing come out of.  I have a reproduction FSM for 68 from Year One.  that page in mine has nothing about the belts.  is that a 69/70 photo?

thanks again. 
RECHRGED

MellowCharger

Hi I'd be interested to see that drawing so that I can see how it works please.

Thanks
68 440 R/T
08 Ford GT
66 Sting Ray 427 Coupe
68 Corvette Rdstr
67 Mustang 390GT Fastback

dkn1997

I cannot attach an adobe file here, I will email it to you.
RECHRGED

dkn1997

I emailed it to both of you, I hope you can open it!!

Looks like it attaches to the same reinforced area that the outer and center lap belts go. but that's not really in line with the oval slot in the package tray, so I don't know. 

I was planning on trying to use a factory front shoulder belt, but attaching it in the back.  I am having no luck finding any.  either nobody has them, or they want too much$.  I may move my front shoulder belts to the back for now just to see if it works.  then maybe get some aftermarket shoulder retractables for the front.  the only problem with that is that they hang down and disturb the look of the car.  I only drive in decent weateher and there is nothing like a 2nd gen with all the windows rolled down, looks so cool.  hate to clog it up with seat belts.  Then again, I hate a ruptured spleen too.....
RECHRGED

dkn1997

I just bought a set of these, down on the page, called Roadster 105" 3 point retractables.  I plan on anchoring them to the floor where the outer belts are now.

black of course.

http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/resebe.html
RECHRGED

dkn1997

ok, got my wesco belts yesterday, they look nice. the only problem is that they are fully assembled and there is no way the latch end will fit through the hole in teh package tray.

I sound a way to get it off, though. I will post some pics when done.  maybe i will have time wednsday to do it.
RECHRGED

kab69440

Buy some spare belts of the same style as your 68. Use the existing bolt bosses to hold them in. It really is not a difficult process. Takes all of 10 minutes to swap them around. I'll try to snap some pics for you. Front seat shoulder belts area bit long for this. They need to be shortened. You could also go all "high tech" and rip some retractables out of say, a newer Neon and bolt those in. Whatever suits your taste. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination and the available spare parts in your favorite boneyard.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

dkn1997

I was crawling around there last night and I might be able to bolt my new retractor to the existing outermost anchoring point, then wrap it up through the package tray and secure the other end to the same exact point. 

It even looks like I could mount these retractors to the package tray itself and slip a reinforcement plate under the package tray cardboard.  this would be the neatest.
RECHRGED

kab69440

OK, here's the setup in my '69. Old style belts were used in the conversion. The male belt gets bolted to the outside boss with the factory bolt. The female side gets bolted to the inside boss. I have heard that most 2nd Gen Chargers have a slightly different seating arrangement, though.
Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not;  a sense of humor to console him for what he is.      Francis Bacon

WANT TO BUY:
Looking for a CD by  'The Sub-Mersians'  entitled "Raw Love Songs From My Garage To Your Bedroom"

Also, any of the various surf-revival compilation albums this band has contributed to.
Thank you,    Kenny

Jesus drove a Honda. He wasn't proud of it, though...
John 12: 49     "...for I did not speak of my own Accord."

dkn1997

ok, just got mine done, bolted them in exactly same spots as you, but I used a retractor.  it's not at the best angle, but drilling holes in the trunk w/brackets would not have gotten a much better one, and the belt slides freely, locks, retracts, etc...  here are the pics of the finish.  only one side done so far, ran out of time.  trim plates were bought off of ebag for 16 bucks.  they are for E bodies. 

I have to paint the little screw heads black and possibly locate a shorter "female" end, I got the 20" job, but 12" would have been better.  maybe have to spend a few more bucks and get the right ones.  (kills me because I could have ordered them with the right length, i had a choice, too late now.

the bonus plan was that I found my broadcast sheet on the seat back
RECHRGED

dkn1997

got the other side done, here are some pics of the installation/attaching points.
RECHRGED

8WHEELER

Quote from: dkn1997 on October 28, 2006, 03:46:11 PM
got the other side done, here are some pics of the installation/attaching points.

Hi dkn1997

Your belts looks great, can you tell me how/where did you get those plastic belt sleeve guides on
the top of your package tray?  where the seat belts go through. I bought a set of factory
rear seat shoulder belts, and what you have done looks very good.

Dan

dkn1997

Hey dan, I got them a couple of weeks ago, they are E body guides I bought off of ebay, not sure of what year

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMERFB%3AIID&viewitem=&item=160040538748&rd=1,1

and I would love to see those factory rear belts, those gotta be as rare as hens teeth!!
RECHRGED

8WHEELER

Thanks for the link, he does not seam to have anymore for sale, I checked his other listings as well
no luck, I think somebody out there must have them as well I will keep up the search.

I just got the belts in the mail yesterday, I have only seen two sets, this being the second set.
When I get them cleaned up maybe I will post a pick, but I don't want to high jack your thread.
Thanks again

Dan

dkn1997

no hijacking, that's totally ON topic.  I would love to see original 2nd gen 3 point belts, post up when you get 'er done.
RECHRGED

66FBCharger

I thought since there is so much great info in this thread, I would resurrect it instead of starting a new thread. I found this thread when I was looking for info to install shoulder belts in my '69 for my 5 year old's booster seat.
Has anyone done this recently? Do you have any updated info or newer products that you used?
DKN,
Now that you have lived with this setup for a while, what would you change or improve? Would you still go with a 12" female end belt instead of the 20" you used?
Thanks,
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

dkn1997

My daughter was strapped into it when an 80 year old man forgot all the lessons we learned in Van Dam's Timecop and tried to get his hyundai to occupy the same space at the same time as my fender/hood/grill...
RECHRGED

dkn1997

But we both walked away without a scratch so the belts work.  I would definitely get the shorter 12" female.  It worked out for me at the time because she was in a booster and the extra length made it ok. 
RECHRGED

66FBCharger

Quote from: dkn1997 on March 31, 2014, 04:01:35 PM
But we both walked away without a scratch so the belts work.  I would definitely get the shorter 12" female.  It worked out for me at the time because she was in a booster and the extra length made it ok. 
Thanks for the response. I am hoping to order the belts this week.
Sorry to see you had a wreck. It is good to hear no one was hurt and the belts worked.
I am putting the belts in for my 5 year old who is in a booster seat. Do you think I should stick with the longer female end or do you think the 12" female would work with a booster seat?
Thanks,
John
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

myk

Quote from: dkn1997 on March 31, 2014, 03:59:56 PM
My daughter was strapped into it when an 80 year old man forgot all the lessons we learned in Van Dam's Timecop and tried to get his hyundai to occupy the same space at the same time as my fender/hood/grill...

WTF man did that happen recently?! 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Dino

Quote from: myk on April 01, 2014, 08:11:49 AM
Quote from: dkn1997 on March 31, 2014, 03:59:56 PM

WTF man did that happen recently?! 

What he said!   :o
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tsmithae

Check out my full thread and progress here.

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/mboard/index.php?topic=119.0

dkn1997

That was a few years ago.. accident turned out to be the best thing to happen to the car. had it all repained, new hood, fender, drivers door skin, new top, new glass, new wheels. bla bla bla lol

Here is the new look:

RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

dkn1997

RECHRGED

myk

NICE.  I don't think I've ever seen any exterior shots of your car...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

dkn1997

thanks MYK... I have been slacking off on it.  havent driiven it more than once in a year..  Im in partiall disassembly mode in the midst of a serpentine belt system install for the 440.  I also have boxes of parts on hand including EZ EFI 2.0, hotchkis shocks, firm feel upper control arms, 1" Tbaars, QA1 tubular kmember and lower control arms, borgeson steering box, fast ratio arms, 11/16 inner and outer tierods and probably some more im forgetting.  little low on the motivation at the moment
RECHRGED