News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Frame Rail Repair / Engine bay make over.

Started by Canadian1968, February 22, 2015, 07:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canadian1968

With the first side tacked in place, I got to work on the opposite side.  Because the previous patches, and then a new floor that had been installed a few years ago, there was one heck of mess in order to removed the frame - to - rocker brace. When they put the floor in they did not want to deal with the brace patch that had been put in , so they left 5x8 section of the old floor and then just lapped the new one top. Basically a huge metal sandwich mess!  To get it all out I had to cut a hold in the floor.  As well I noticed that the inner rocker and outter rocker were starting to get a bit transparent ! Only about 5" back , so I will patch these up while I am at it.

A little more work but nothing to crazy

Only snapped a couple pics at the end of the night.  will get a few more later this week .

Canadian1968

I am hoping to make some good progress this long weekend. I have the other other side of the rail already tacked into place, the patch in the floor is done, and I test fitted the shock tower.  I finally got my  frame - to - rocker brace and test fitted that as well. Everything is dropping right into place, so I guess I am doing something right !!  Hopefully this thread shows some people that a job like this can be done with the most basic of tools and in a garage !.  I am a painter by trade not a body man. Although it does help to be around people in the trade with all the knowledge I could ever need, this is a learning process for me at the same time. ! 

Stay tuned for the updates at the end of the weekend !

Canadian1968

Update from the weekend. I didn't get as far as I wanted, but still made some good progress.  Got the internal brace made up and welded into place, as well as the bottom section of the rail, where the brace connects to the rocker.  The rail in 90% welded in, I just need to make the top piece.  I test fitted the shock tower everything looks to line up great.

A couple pics, of the progress. I won't win any awards for my welds but I had a buddy of mine who is a licensed welder look over my shoulder to make sure I was getting a good strong weld. I will clean them up slightly with the grinder before everything is done..   

Canadian1968

Things are really moving now.  The frame rail is completely welded in.  Tonight I welded in the shock tower, and got started with the patch of inner fender. ! :2thumbs:

Canadian1968

More

70-500-SE-EXPORT

awesome job! I did a similar rust repair on my old 70. I cut out half of the front driver side rail and welded in new sections I made. I did this rather than replace the entire rail because I wasn't sure how the aftermarket would fit and was concerned it would may not be perfectly located since I do not have a chassis jig.   
68 Charger original SS1 paint with matching # 383hp

Canadian1968

The frame repair is pretty much complete.  I finished the inner fender patch. Welded the bump stop support in place, and welded in the frame to rocker bracket as well !

There will be a bit more clean up as I prep the metal for epoxy. But for now this is how it will stay, as I move onto the engine bay clean up. !

Canadian1968

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Canadian1968

Its been a while since I put an update.   Here is progress to date.  The engine bay was stripped to metal, minor dents and dings fixed.  I then sprayed epoxy ( SPI  for those interested ). Waited a day and then sprayed with primer ( SPI ). Sanded and then went with a single stage urathane to match the body color. I am pretty happy with how the single stage turned out!

I can now start putting things back together.  I still need to do the outter side of the inner fenders, as well as front of  rad support which will be all black.

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

keepat

mopar4don

Quote from: Canadian1968 on July 14, 2015, 09:04:06 PM
Its been a while since I put an update.   Here is progress to date.  The engine bay was stripped to metal, minor dents and dings fixed.  I then sprayed epoxy ( SPI  for those interested ). Waited a day and then sprayed with primer ( SPI ). Sanded and then went with a single stage urathane to match the body color. I am pretty happy with how the single stage turned out!

I can now start putting things back together.  I still need to do the outter side of the inner fenders, as well as front of  rad support which will be all black.

Is this normal using a single stage for the engine bay? single stage just means there is no clear. Right.
I just want to understand this step.
Thanks

Pete in NH

Quote from: mopar4don on July 17, 2015, 07:07:16 AM
Its been a while since I put an update.   Here is progress to date.  The engine bay was stripped to metal, minor dents and dings fixed.  I then sprayed epoxy ( SPI  for those interested ). Waited a day and then sprayed with primer ( SPI ). Sanded and then went with a single stage urethane to match the body color. I am pretty happy with how the single stage turned out!

I can now start putting things back together.  I still need to do the outer side of the inner fenders, as well as front of  rad support which will be all black.

Is this normal using a single stage for the engine bay? single stage just means there is no clear. Right.
Thanks

Hi,

Single stage is a paint type that does not need to be clear coated although you can if you want to. The other paint system is basecoat/clear coat. Base coat paint is relatively fragile and soft. It must be clear coated to protect it and provide UV protection. You can kind of say today's urethane based Single Stage paints have their clear coat mixed in already although that's not quite their true story but makes it easier to understand. Single stage can be used in engine compartments and is easier because you spray two or three coats and you're done, no need to go back and clear coat. Single stage metallic however, can not be sanded or heavily cut without disturbing the metallic particles and changing the way the paint appears. For that reason people prefer to use a base/clear system with metallics.

Canadian1968

Quote from: Pete in NH on July 17, 2015, 08:20:22 AM
Quote from: mopar4don on July 17, 2015, 07:07:16 AM
Its been a while since I put an update.   Here is progress to date.  The engine bay was stripped to metal, minor dents and dings fixed.  I then sprayed epoxy ( SPI  for those interested ). Waited a day and then sprayed with primer ( SPI ). Sanded and then went with a single stage urethane to match the body color. I am pretty happy with how the single stage turned out!

I can now start putting things back together.  I still need to do the outer side of the inner fenders, as well as front of  rad support which will be all black.

Thanks

Hi,

Single stage is a paint type that does not need to be clear coated although you can if you want to. The other paint system is basecoat/clear coat. Base coat paint is relatively fragile and soft. It must be clear coated to protect it and provide UV protection. You can kind of say today's urethane based Single Stage paints have their clear coat mixed in already although that's not quite their true story but makes it easier to understand. Single stage can be used in engine compartments and is easier because you spray two or three coats and you're done, no need to go back and clear coat. Single stage metallic however, can not be sanded or heavily cut without disturbing the metallic particles and changing the way the paint appears. For that reason people prefer to use a base/clear system with metallics.

This explains its pretty well.  I did this in my garage, which is why I decided to go with the single stage. As little spray time as possible was what I wanted, but applied properly you can`t tell if its a base clear or single stage product.  I have a few tiny dirt specs on the top of the fenders, since its single stage I can`t really wet sand and buff as I could possibly ruin the metallic .  My option would be to sand down and respray the tops if its bothers me that much.   :2thumbs:

Dino

Nothing wrong with single stage paint!

Some paints take cutting and buffing a little better.  It all depends on the paint's composition so if the tops bother you then I say go for it, nothing to lose.  If cutting doesn't do it then just respray.  It's not easy and sometimes downright impossible to get s metallic or pearl SS cut and buffed without creating spots or clouds.  With a small dust nib sander you have a good shot though.  No need to sand all of it.

Good job by the way.   :2thumbs:
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

PlainfieldCharger

Canadian1968

a few small progress pics.  I finished the front of the rad support, sprayed the inner fenders with epoxy and then a 2 part bed liner. Its all sealed up now !! I started to put back in what I can for now, but not to much more I can do until I get the engine rebuilt.  I plan on putting the K-member and engine in together from underneath

Dino

Nice work!   :2thumbs:

I'd get the brake lines in though.   ;)

Canadian1968

A long time since any update. I have been busy though... well more so my wallet than my hands lol  :brickwall:

Canadian1968

Dino

Awesome!   :2thumbs:

Are you going to reinstall the drivetrain from below?