News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Front Frame Rail Repair / Engine bay make over.

Started by Canadian1968, February 22, 2015, 07:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plasticman-32

man the bay looks clean.. what did you use to strip all the paint and smooth it out? it looks really well done

Canadian1968

Quote from: Dino on October 26, 2015, 07:58:02 PM
Awesome!   :2thumbs:

Are you going to reinstall the drivetrain from below?

Yes I am planning on putting the entire drive train in from under the car . First time tryin this but it really makes more sense the more I think about it !!

As for the question about the engine bay . I started with paint stripper to remove most of grime and top layer. I then used a combo of wire wheels on a drill and grinder . A wash with degreaser, then final pass time to over everything with 80 grit

mopar4don

I really like the color of the motor (Petty blue)
What was the stock colors from the factory for engines?
What made you decide to go with this color?

Canadian1968

Quote from: mopar4don on October 27, 2015, 06:51:41 AM
I really like the color of the motor (Petty blue)
What was the stock colors from the factory for engines?
What made you decide to go with this color?

That is the stock / original colour for the engine. Mopar turquoise was for all BB 67 an 68 I believe.

The other colors help accent it , possibly why it may look a bit different 

Dino

I'm doing the same work you're doing but I just removed the heads form the engine so I have a ways to go.  Let us know how that dolly worked out and if you'd do anything different.  I've never installed an engine from below either.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Patronus

Just checked back in, and wow! Well done sir.  :yesnod:
Going to be smiling from ear to ear next time you pop the hood.
'73 Cuda 340 5spd RMS
'69 Charger 383 "Luci"
'08 CRF 450r
'12.5 450SX FE

Canadian1968

With help of 2 buddies , we put the engine / transmission back in. I must say installing from the bottom was really easy, and painless !.  All I can say, is make sure your Engine dolly has a set of nice swivel casters to help move the drive train under the car , other than that its just a matter of lowering the frame over the holes ! :2thumbs:

Canadian1968

pics

Canadian1968

pics

Canadian1968

Things have slowed down a bit with my daughter running around . But I finally got the front suspension all finished . Just need some flex hoses !

SmashingPunkFan

This is super impressive. I will definitely tapping into this thread when I repair my front frames. The k-fame looks smashed in the frames like a hard landing, and it tore the rails. I'm very glad it's repairable :2thumbs:
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV.
Projects:
1970 Dodge Charger SE (Main Project)
1973 Dodge Charger 400 cid. (Work in progress)
1988 Mustang 2.3 liter 4 cyl.

Looking for Seat tracks for bucket seats.