News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge/sender converter

Started by J-440, March 08, 2015, 12:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J-440

I have an electric fuel gauge from Stewart Warner and a gas tank/sending unit from Rick's.  The 2 are not matched with the same ohms so my gauge is not working.  Instead of dropping the tank and sending the unit back to Rick's, is there a device that I can splice into the wiring to get the 2 on the same ohm reading?  I'm calling Rick's on Monday but wanted to see if I can fix it today.  Any electrical gurus out there?
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

John_Kunkel

The S-W sender has a range of 33-240 ohms which is a ratio of over 7-1, the Mopar sender has a range of 10-73 ohms so the ratio is roughly the same and the S-W resistance is roughly 3 times higher. I would guess that you could put a resistor in the wire leading from the gauge to the tank but it'll take somebody smarter than me to compute the value of the resistor.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

J-440

Found a device called a fuel gauge interface module from Speedway Motors.  Runs about $130 and splices in between your gauge and sender and is compatible with all gauges and senders.  Since my current gauge is not adjustable and I dam sure as hell don't wanna drop the tank and send back to Rick's, this is a better option.
68 R/T, 440/727 6-speed, SC G-machine...black suede

lukedukem

So will this work is you have the stock gauge and after market sending unit. When I fill my car up it only goes to 1/4 tank.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Dino

Quote from: lukedukem on March 10, 2015, 06:59:57 PM
So will this work is you have the stock gauge and after market sending unit. When I fill my car up it only goes to 1/4 tank.

Luke

Only if the resistance ratio is the same will it be a matter of adding a resistance, it gets a bit more complicated if it's not.

J-440 why do you need to drop the tank by the way?  I replaced my sending unit without doing so without any problems.  If you want to keep the gauge then just buy a matching sending unit and return what you have.  Or send it back to have the resistance changed.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

lukedukem

is there a sending unit that works correct with the factory gauge then....

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Dino

There is not, only the stock sending unit is matched to the stock gauge.  To remedy that I followed Charger-Bodie's lead and transplanted the resistance box from the stock sending unit onto the bigger repro unit.  The gauge now reads as it should, but you can never get it right with an unaltered repro sending unit.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

John_Kunkel

Here's a link to the device J-440 found:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuel-Gauge-Interface-Module,66534.html

Reading the instructions PDF it looks like it covers the entire range of popular senders.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

lukedukem

Quote from: John_Kunkel on March 11, 2015, 12:31:49 PM

Here's a link to the device J-440 found:

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuel-Gauge-Interface-Module,66534.html

Reading the instructions PDF it looks like it covers the entire range of popular senders.

john, in your opinion, would this device work in my situation? i have stock fuel gauge but aftermarket sending unit in the tank.

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

hemigeno

I'm messing with my fuel sending unit right now too, and it's a stock unit.  While I'm no expert when it comes to electronics, I'm not sure it would be possible to retrofit any aftermarket sending unit to read correctly with the stock Chrysler gauge.  The limits for the gauge itself are as follows:

At E / Empty:
73 ohms +/- 12 ohms

At F / Full:
9.6 ohms +/- 1 ohm

I have an old test box on which you can dial up a specified amount of resistance (00.1 - 99.9 ohms), and I checked my gauge's accuracy plus the integrity of the wiring harness by hooking this box up in place of the sending unit back by the tank.  My gauge reads spot-on at the aforementioned resistance settings.  10.6 ohms put the needle right on the vertical white tick/mark of "Full", and 61 ohms was ever so slightly above the "Empty" vertical white tick/mark on the gauge.

From my non-professional perspective, I don't know if it would ever be possible to reduce the resistance of an aftermarket sending unit below its lowest reading (MAYBE if you messed with the actual coiled wire which creates the resistance).  Adding reistance, yes... but reducing?  If the lowest it goes is 33 ohms, that's probably going to read less than 3/4 of a tank.  Just about what my old R/T used to show if I squeezed every drop into the tank at fill-up time.  Without finding some way to add a small amount of current back into the fuel gauge circuit to trick the gauge into 'seeing' a lower resistance, you'd be heading in the wrong direction.  That's why these mis-matched setups never - ever - read "full".

Once ECS gets done perfecting OE-style trunk mats, maybe Chrysler fuel sending units should be added to their product line.   :scratchchin:

lukedukem

Thanks for the info hemigeno, when I fill mine up it goes to almost halfway. I'm also thinking about taking mine out and checking it out to see if I can make it better.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

Pete in NH

Hi,

Here's another gauge converter unit. I don't anything about it but, it looks like it's less expensive than some others out there.

http://www.technoversions.com/MeterMatchHome.html   

lukedukem

Quote from: Pete in NH on March 12, 2015, 07:14:39 AM
Hi,

Here's another gauge converter unit. I don't anything about it but, it looks like it's less expensive than some others out there.

reading on that it says it will work for mopar cars for the 60s. I'm gonna buy one and see if it works.

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

tan top

Quote from: hemigeno on March 11, 2015, 04:45:05 PM
I'm messing with my fuel sending unit right now too, and it's a stock unit.  While I'm no expert when it comes to electronics, I'm not sure it would be possible to retrofit any aftermarket sending unit to read correctly with the stock Chrysler gauge.  The limits for the gauge itself are as follows:

At E / Empty:
73 ohms +/- 12 ohms

At F / Full:
9.6 ohms +/- 1 ohm

I have an old test box on which you can dial up a specified amount of resistance (00.1 - 99.9 ohms), and I checked my gauge's accuracy plus the integrity of the wiring harness by hooking this box up in place of the sending unit back by the tank.  My gauge reads spot-on at the aforementioned resistance settings.  10.6 ohms put the needle right on the vertical white tick/mark of "Full", and 61 ohms was ever so slightly above the "Empty" vertical white tick/mark on the gauge.

From my non-professional perspective, I don't know if it would ever be possible to reduce the resistance of an aftermarket sending unit below its lowest reading (MAYBE if you messed with the actual coiled wire which creates the resistance).  Adding reistance, yes... but reducing?  If the lowest it goes is 33 ohms, that's probably going to read less than 3/4 of a tank.  Just about what my old R/T used to show if I squeezed every drop into the tank at fill-up time.  Without finding some way to add a small amount of current back into the fuel gauge circuit to trick the gauge into 'seeing' a lower resistance, you'd be heading in the wrong direction.  That's why these mis-matched setups never - ever - read "full".

Once ECS gets done perfecting OE-style trunk mats, maybe Chrysler fuel sending units should be added to their product line.   :scratchchin:

yeah think ECS is the Man for the job too ,  to  reproduce a , accurate Chrysler  fuel tank sender unit , to work with stock OEM gauges  :yesnod:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

lukedukem

I'm tempted to take mine out and mess with it but the weather turning out good down here and I just put new brakes on and I'm wanting to drive it bad. Maybe if I have a rainy weekend. Which in south Texas that could be any time

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

remta1

hmm i have a similar problem on 69 Plymouth satellite should I be looking for a new guage that reads 10  to 73 ohms
was looking at an aftermarket guage that reads 0 to 90 ohms ..is this wrong ?

Pete in NH

Hi,

The gauge and the sender have to match resistance wise. If you have a stock Plymouth gauge you need a stock 10 to 73 ohm sender in the tank. If you have an aftermarket gauge you need a matching sender or one of these little converters talked about above in this thread.

One big problem with most reproduction Mopar fuel sending units is they may reproduce the 10 to 73 ohm range but the original Chrysler parts had a non linear resistance curve to them and most repro parts are linear curves. This causes the gauges to read wrong anywhere between full and empty. Not a great feature when you want to know how much gas you have in the tank.

red79

Quote from: hemigeno on March 11, 2015, 04:45:05 PM

Technically, you can reduce the overall resistance in the circuit by adding a second fixed resistance in parallel with the sending unit--another path to ground for the 12v coming from the gauge. I have never tried to fix a fuel gauge/sender mismatch this way myself, but from a purely electrical engineering standpoint, it gives you more options to fudge the range of varying resistance.   :Twocents:

keith88

Any new news on this i have the same issue and am looking to fix it as well.
1969 Charger  Orange /black top  (1989) 360 engine stock with added xtreme comp cam and a 4 bbl  , 904 trans/shift kit , 8-1/4 rear.. with general lee accents.

lukedukem

Quote from: keith88 on April 30, 2015, 11:16:31 AM

Quote from: lukedukem on March 12, 2015, 07:52:35 AM
Hi,

reading on that it says it will work for mopar cars for the 60s. I'm gonna buy one and see if it works.

Luke

i did get mine in the mail, but haven't installed it yet. been trying to get rid of a vibration issue in my cummins... but i will attempt it soon i hope...

luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

fc7cuda

Quote from: lukedukem on April 30, 2015, 02:42:30 PM

Hi,

Luke

i did get mine in the mail, but haven't installed it yet. been trying to get rid of a vibration issue in my cummins... but i will attempt it soon i hope...

luke

Did you get the unit installed, and are you happy with the results?

Charger-Bodie

Tanks inc has one that works well
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Nacho-RT74

adding resistors is a linear change, which won't change a lot the big difference. Would need somehow a logaritmic resistor... if they exist ? dunno.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

lukedukem

Quote from: fc7cuda on May 05, 2020, 10:36:32 AM
Quote from: lukedukem on April 30, 2015, 02:42:30 PM

Hi,

Luke

luke

Did you get the unit installed, and are you happy with the results?

Wow five years later and I can say that I haven't installed it yet. Still on the shelf. Life got in the way and I forget. Since it didn't really hinder my ability to drive the car it wasn't a need. Sorry
Maybe I can try to make time on my next seven days off. Don't hold your breath. Lol

Luke
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC