News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

electric fuel pump

Started by poppa, March 13, 2015, 01:20:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Thinking of going with an electric fuel pump , pro's/con's ?? Could I put one in (on the same line as my mechanical one) and use the mechanical one most times and electric for when it sits for a long time?? In other words , would the electric one "push" through the mechanical one and would the mechanical one "pull" through the electrical one?? Any recommendations? 69 with a 440 (will go to a 512 when the stars align correctly for me) 4 spd with a 6 pak. Thanks for taking the time to read this
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

red79

Man people wire an inexpensive electric pump in the fuel line leading to the mechanical pump. You can switch it on to fill the carb bowl after sitting for a long time, then switch it off and let the mechanical pull through as you described. Saves extra cranking if you don't dive the car often.

tan top

I have ,  you need one that flows  through / suck through when off  , the electric  solenoid pumps  are what you need , 
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

John_Kunkel

:iagree: The gear motor pumps (inexpensive) won't allow fuel to be pulled through them but all mechanical pumps will allow the electric pump to push through them.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

mopar0166

poppa

mopar0166 , which pump/set up do you have?

ACUDANUT

Quote from: red79 on March 13, 2015, 02:36:28 PM
Man people wire an inexpensive electric pump in the fuel line leading to the mechanical pump. You can switch it on to fill the carb bowl after sitting for a long time, then switch it off and let the mechanical pull through as you described. Saves extra cranking if you don't dive the car often.

Not a reasonable thought. Just my 2 cents
You can do this by pouring fuel down the carb before you try to start.  :shruggy:

70sixpkrt

I have a Carter electric pump that I'm going to install next month. My car is hard to start after sitting for awhile. My buddy put this pump in his Coronet and no problems.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

myk

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 03, 2015, 02:52:39 PM

You can do this by pouring fuel down the carb before you try to start.  :shruggy:

No one wants to have to open their hood, pop off their air cleaner, then force feed their 'carb to start the thing (which is dangerous IMO) every time they want to go for a drive.  The supplementary fuel pump is a great idea for added convenience...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Troy

Quote from: ACUDANUT on April 03, 2015, 02:52:39 PM

Yeah, my Challenger has a Six Pack that constantly goes dry when sitting. Popping open the hood, removing the air cleaner lid, pouring in gas through the vents, replacing the lid, etc. is a royal pain just to start a car. I also have a Carter pump to install before summer. It's the type that will allow the mechanical pump to pull through it. I have a timed switch that will run the pump for about 3 seconds when the key is turned.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

1974dodgecharger

does it go dry that bad?  I figure you pump the gas pedal and try it that way to start? I do that and its fine......

ottawamerc

I have both pumps running continuously, the electric is at the tank and the usual mechanical at the block. I wired my electric pump thru an oil pressure switch so if there is ever a failure or accident :'( it would turn off and not continuously pump fuel to a potential fire! I would like to put that timed relay in too though cause mine is hard to start after it sits for a long while. One other draw back to the electric is the noise.

Scott :cheers:
This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Troy

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 20, 2015, 09:03:44 PM
does it go dry that bad?  I figure you pump the gas pedal and try it that way to start? I do that and its fine......
Oh yeah. I may be the lucky one but between the ethanol in the gas and the heat from the Six Pack it will completely boil/evaporate all the fuel in the bowls. Pumping the pedal does nothing if there isn't any gas to squirt. I've used 3 different "known good" mechanical fuel pumps and none will pull enough fuel to start the car in a reasonable amount of time. I don't like changing starters either! In the past I'd pull the air cleaner and pour some gas in the center carb. Basically, as soon as the engine starts, the mechanical pump will fill the bowls and keep it running (90% of the time at least). I guess my only other option is to see if I can spin the engine faster on the starter. The pass through electric pump is a simple solution and it's quiet so I took the easy way out.

Oh, and my electric pump has a switch fed from the tach signal so if the engine stops the pump does too. Same reasoning as above.

Troy

1974dodgecharger

huh troy that's a good idea on the tach signal one....

poppa

Any p/n's? Seems like every one I clicked on ends up a vane or gear one??? Do I need a "return" or reg with this?

Troy

I forgot about the heat soak every time I shut the car off for more than a few minutes. The first year I had it I drove it to Carlisle and the Mopar Nationals and both trips had temperatures in the high 90s. A stop for gas would take about 45 minutes because I'd have to pop the hood and wait for the engine to cool before any new gas would stay liquid all the way to the carbs. On the highway I'd just stop more often (about half a tank) and pay at the pump to keep the stops short. Even on trips close to home I'd have to be aware of stopping after sitting in traffic or idling for very long.

One I have is: CARTER P74029
You *CAN NOT* run the car off this. It's simply not big enough to supply a big block on its own. Google it and you'll find lots of examples of installs. I have it on a Six Pack which has a return line from the factory.

This is the switch I have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321185373287

Troy

myk

I still say just go with a single electric pump rated at about 5 to 6 psi.  With a 'carb spacer, properly routed fuel lines and the e-pump, your fuel system will never be the source of your hard-start problems again. 
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

70sixpkrt

I have a Carter 4954 electric pump which I'm going to install hopefully next month. My buddy is using the same pump on a 1969 Coronet with 550hp and has no problems.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

ottawamerc

Quote from: Troy on April 27, 2015, 02:56:34 PM
Oh yeah. I may be the lucky one but between the ethanol in the gas and the heat from the Six Pack it will completely boil/evaporate all the fuel in the bowls. Pumping the pedal does nothing if there isn't any gas to squirt. I've used 3 different "known good" mechanical fuel pumps and none will pull enough fuel to start the car in a reasonable amount of time. I don't like changing starters either! In the past I'd pull the air cleaner and pour some gas in the center carb. Basically, as soon as the engine starts, the mechanical pump will fill the bowls and keep it running (90% of the time at least). I guess my only other option is to see if I can spin the engine faster on the starter. The pass through electric pump is a simple solution and it's quiet so I took the easy way out.

Oh, and my electric pump has a switch fed from the tach signal so if the engine stops the pump does too. Same reasoning as above.

Troy

A Tach signal? thats friggin cool and waaay better than the oil pressure switch that keeps my pump off! Tell me more about this please :popcrn:

This hobby is more than just our cars, it's the people you get to meet along the way!!!

Troy

Quote from: ottawamerc on May 03, 2015, 09:01:06 AM
Quote from: Troy on April 27, 2015, 02:56:34 PM

Troy

A Tach signal? thats friggin cool and waaay better than the oil pressure switch that keeps my pump off! Tell me more about this please :popcrn:

Keep reading! I posted the link in the next message. Only downside is it cost more than the pump...

I also own one of the bigger carter electrics (mentioned earlier I believe) but I'm using it on my run test stand. I don't think it's terribly loud but you need a regulator and I didn't want to deal with that on the Challenger. However, if I had installed it and the Firecore RTR I bet the car wouldn't be such a pain in the rear!

Troy

mopar0166

Looks like I never responded,  I have a Holley blue pump and adjustable regulator with return.  it mounted just forward of the gas tank toward the bottom of the rear seat.

deepockets

I went with the Mallory 110. I use it without a mechanical and no regulator or return line is necessary. It's preset to run at 7.5 lbs. It's so quiet, I sometimes wonder if it's running. Works great with the 510ci. 6 pack.

69Chrgr

I use a Weldon pump mounted near the back of my car. They also make aircraft pumps. After the others left me high and dry and said screw it and spent money to get a good pump.

mopar0166

I still have my holley blue pump, works fine but I'm going to change the mount while I have the rear seat out.  I think that will make a difference as far as noise is concerned.  I don't mine a little noise but the rear passengers hate the buzzing of the pump.