News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firecore Ready to Run, no spark!!

Started by Back N Black, April 02, 2015, 02:39:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Back N Black

Decided to start the car today and no start. No spark on the Firecore RTR system. This is the third time since I installed the system. The last 2 times it started to work after a day or two. Cannot build confidence in a system that randomly quits for no reason. I have 12 volts at the coil and signal out to the distributor. I connected my old system using the Firecore coil and lots of spark. Very frustrating. What is the next step? send it back?

Hard Charger

Dino

I had the same issue initially which turned out to be a bad ecu in the distributor.  Ron first sent me another coil but that didn't change it.  Then I got another dizzy and no issues ever since. 
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Firetodd

Back N Black,
I had the exact same issue after upgrading my distributor and ECU  to the Firecore RTR system. I sent mine back to Firecore because the Mopar system would start right up, but intermittent no spark with the Firecore. They checked it out and sent it back to me and said it was just a bad coil and replaced the coil. I put it back in about two weeks ago and haven't had the chance to drive it. I will let you know how it works out for me going forward.

Todd

firefighter3931

Hey Todd,

Let us know how it's running when you get a chance. It turned out that your coil was leaking oil and overheated...cutting spark to the ignition.

Eldon (Back in Black) has received a replacement ECU which has yet to be installed. I covered the cost of the ECU because the distributor was out of warranty by a few months and didn't want to leave him stranded. Sometimes stuff happens but it's how the issue is resolved that ultimately matters. There are thousands of these distributors out there with very few reported issues. Return rate is less then 1/2 a percent which is outstanding for any mass production electronic part.  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

xoman60

No issues with mine after month 2 except bad coil. I initial purchased the mini coil and then decided to go with a more oem look and got the firecore round coil. Car ran terrible so I switched back to the mini. Just waiting for the return info for the round one. Also, I didn't go with the RTR dist. I got the basic 440 dist. I already had a brand new chrome ECU so I kinda like the idea of being able to just change that if there is a problem.

Firetodd

Got the the chance to take the car out this morning and was rough starting. I have had a mini starter that I was going to put in, so I thought now is the time. Raised the car and pulled the grease covered old starter. In doing so, I found that the positive battery wire was severely corroded and burned by being against the exhaust pipe. I also found that the negative battery cable was very loose on the block side.

I ran to NAPA and got new battery cables and was so excited to find an issue that I can easily repair and might solve everything! Got the cables replaced and tightened everything down... And ran to the key to try it out. It fired up in 1/2 a nanosecond!!! No turning over and over, no pumping the accelerator pedal. Awesome!! Side note: the mini starter is so light and small, but turns the motor over very fast and sounds great.

Firecore and Ron are amazing and have helped me immensely. I believe that my entire episode of issues were caused by 4 things:

1. bad battery ground (as Ron told me 6 months ago to check)
2. a bad positive battery wire
3. a bad positive electrical wire to the coil that shorted out my coil (Firecore replaced it for free, even though it was my fault)
4. My own impatience in thinking that I could take the quick way in fixing any issue with just the distributor. I failed to adequately trouble shoot the issues even with Ron's immense patience with me.

All is well with the car!

firefighter3931

Great news Todd  :2thumbs:

Good work on the troubleshooting.  :scope:

Just takes time & patience but any situation can be resolved  :yesnod:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Lord Warlock

Tried hooking my coil and distributor up but not getting any fire to coil so was looking up possible solutions or reasons.  Not blaming firecore yet, just looking up possible reasons, and subscribing to thread so can find it again if needed.  Car will be transported to shop to diagnose ignition system, and install firecore if they get it to run on the oem parts.   
69 RT/SE Y3 cream yellow w/tan vinyl top and black r/t stripe. non matching 440/375, 3:23, Column shift auto w/buddy seat, tan interior, am/fm w/fr to back fade, Now wears 17" magnum 500 rims and Nitto tires. Fresh repaint, new interior, new wheels and tires.

sunroofgtx

Hello, whatever was the outcome of this?  Thanks guys.