News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Hemi Daytona ?

Started by maxwellwedge, April 23, 2015, 07:39:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Man, pictures are gone now, I can't see them.................
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

maxwellwedge

Really? Maybe you need to be logged in? Here are the pics.

nascarxx29

The hylton car Rossi had
1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

Aero426

Never a street Daytona.    Jim, you saw it at Talladega the last time around.

Said to be the former James Hylton #48 car, sold to Tab Prince who was killed in it at Daytona in Feb of 1970.     The nose on the car is the original front clip from the #7 Jack McCoy car.   The Hemi was laid in the engine bay by the most recent seller.  

After the wreck in 1970, it was said to have gone back to Prince's Dodge dealership where it remained for some time.    Have heard a story about Bobby Allison buying it, repairing and reselling it.    In any event, there is a 35 year gap in time with no history.   The car resurfaced about ten years ago as a rough shell of a 1970 Charger, obviously an old race car.   Bill Rossi brought it to Talladega in 2009. Bill sold it and it has changed hands again since then.  

The Prince car was badly damaged like a banana in the drivers door area.    The body on the car now is not the one from 1970.   Not unusual.   Hylton had at least two cars at the end of 1969, one being a Daytona and the other a 1967 Charger.   The car existing today looks more like an older 66-67 chassis that has been updated along the way.   Photos at the crash site also show that the Prince car was an older car with a new skin.        With Hylton, anything is possible as he did not usually have brand new equipment.    He sold all his Mopar equipment to run a Ford in 1970.

Aero426

Hylton cars in December 1969.    Note the tach bezel is black and the three guages to the right are chromed.

Aero426

Aftermath of the Prince crash in the Daytona 125.   Guage cluster appears to be the same as the car directly above.    Tach bezel is black,  three chrome guages to the right.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Aero426 on April 23, 2015, 10:23:17 AM
Hylton cars in December 1969.    Note the tach bezel is black and the three guages to the right are chromed.

I don't see the wing=side window in the picture of the car in the driveway, but see them in the crashed car. ?
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Aero426

Quote from: hemi68charger on April 23, 2015, 11:02:23 AM
Quote from: Aero426 on April 23, 2015, 10:23:17 AM

I don't see the wing=side window in the picture of the car in the driveway, but see them in the crashed car. ?

Good catch.    The side glass can go in and out depending on the track.    R & I is not as involved as on the street car.    You would want it for Daytona.    

maxwellwedge

Desmond

So is it a Hemi Daytona? Are there any numbers left on the body? Or was it a Charger raced as a daytona in '70?

Aero426

Quote from: Desmond on April 23, 2015, 02:19:06 PM
So is it a Hemi Daytona? Are there any numbers left on the body? Or was it a Charger raced as a daytona in '70?

Was never a Hemi Daytona.  
Never a production Daytona.  
Probably not ever a street car with a VIN.
Body on the car now is not the one from 1970.  As I said before, this is not unusual.

odcics2

Note: last photo, head on shot.  Wing and roof are different angles. That car took a huge hit to do that.  If its the same car, the body could still have the twist.  :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Stevearino

There are a lot of similarities as far as the cage is concerned. The diagonal behind the driver seat. The spacing of the bars off of the "A" pillar on the passenger side. Notice how the bar is wider set as it enters the top of the dash and does not quite match the angle of the "A" post.  The large radius of the rear main uprights at the "B" pillar locations as they roll up into the roof.

odcics2

Quote from: Stevearino on April 24, 2015, 06:17:58 PM
There are a lot of similarities as far as the cage is concerned. The diagonal behind the driver seat. The spacing of the bars off of the "A" pillar on the passenger side. Notice how the bar is wider set as it enters the top of the dash and does not quite match the angle of the "A" post.  The large radius of the rear main uprights at the "B" pillar locations as they roll up into the roof.

Indeed...   :Twocents:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

1RareBird

The top horizontal hoop had been changed. In the first pic of the original car it's tucked way up into the front of the roof. The current one is much lower in the car, in addition to the a-pillars look to have sleeves on them (passenger side at least). So you really can't gauge the originality on those two areas IMO. I'm surprised you didn't notice that Greg. ;)
When I die I want to go like my Grandfather did, quietly in his sleep.  Not screaming like the passengers in his car.